1ml minoxidil for NW2 and NW7

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have any of you wondered how much minoxidil should be applied if you need more regrowth. If you are NW2, 1ml should be enough.
For me (NW5) and others who need more regrowth is it safe to use 2 ml minoxidil?
I am not sure 1 ml is going to be good enough for me. Having started my regimen last year, I have grown some tiny hairs far apart on my scalp.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
2mg is safe as finasteride was test at much higher doses with out problems but taking more than 1mg isn't really worth it. You increase your chances of side effects and studies show that higher doses don't improve hair growth chances a whole lot, only by a few percent.

Honestly if your slick on top there isn't a whole lot you can do. The few hairs you regrow with finasteride or rogaine isn't going to be enough to give you back the hair you once had no matter what dose you use. It might help you keep what you have for a bit longer but really your best option is to stick with the 1mg dose and hope for HM to arrive soon.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nervx,
thanks for the reply. I was discussing minoxidil not finasteride.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
applying more than 2 ml of minoxidil a day...(1 ml in the morning and 1 ml at night) did not yield any better results in the trials.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
applying more than 2 ml of minoxidil a day...(1 ml in the morning and 1 ml at night) did not yield any better results in the trials.

Actually, I've read a whole bunch of topical minoxidil studies, and I've never seen one in which they tested more than two applications per day for hair growth. The label instructions saying that more than two applications per day "...will not produce better results" is probably just bureaucratic bullshit! :wink:

Having said that, there's obviously more to be gained from using more than two applications of 2% minoxidil than there is from using more than two applications of 5% minoxidil. You're undoubtedly a lot closer to the theoretical limit of what you can get from topical minoxidil if you're already using the 5% version.

Bryan

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bryan, thanks for your input.
I am mainly concerned about the 1ml number per application (not necessarily two or more applications per day).

For a particular applciation, how is 1ml supposed to be good enough for NW2 and NW7?
thanks.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
nervx,
thanks for the reply. I was discussing minoxidil not finasteride.

Ah crap... that's what happens when you read this site at 7am in the morning. :p

I don't really know about minoxidil limits but i've read some threads about people that use a ton of it each day, far more than the recommended amount. They didn't mention any improvement over the standard 5% twice a day but said their heads become extremely dry.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeh and also left themselves open to progressively serious side effects including heart problems (heart muscle tissue growth) and a decresased effeciency of their immune systems.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a lot more then 1ml per application (I use 2%minoxidil), no problems here, no sid-effects and no irritation, if you have to use it to cover the whole top of your head, I think it is wise to use more then 1 ml.

Dick Hyman

Reaction score
Damnthis,
I notice in your signature that you have been on quite a regimine for over a year now. Is all that stuff working? How is your hair doing?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I use 2ml per application only because I have more area to cover. I'm thinning in the ol' horseshoe pattern so I felt that 1ml wasnt enough to cover the service area. Now for maintenance I use once per day with 2ml which has actually dont more then maintenance and has sense increased the hair density since last summer when I made the switch. however, I also have since added folligen for blondes and emu oil with my regimen which could have also had an impact.