19 yo - How bad am I (which Norwood)?

HIUHAU

Reaction score
Hi,

I've always had a what could be called "high hairline", I remember people pointing out my temples when I was like 11 and saying I was going to be bald. My father is 47 and has a lot of hair probably (Norwood 1.5 at the most), but my uncle (mother's side) is completely bald and told me his hair was completely gone when he was like 25 yo. Anyway, as far as I remember, I've accepted that I was going bald, but thought it was going to take a reasonable amount of time. I kept watching my recession (sadly, without photos) but couldn't notice any significant change over time, but I'm sure it is getting worse, it's just that I can't notice it worsening clearly. So, I'm looking into having your opinions at which balding stage am I, and if there is some way to tell how much will my hair last. Since I remember, every day I get about ~50 hairs at my hands while showering, but always thought it was normal as it was like EVERY day and I as I said, I didn't notice significant changes over time.

Here are some pics (sorry for the quality):

Agosto 2015 1.jpgAgosto 2015 2.jpgAgosto 2015 3.jpgAgosto 2015 4.jpgAgosto 2015 5.jpgAgosto 2015 6.jpgAgosto 2015 7.jpgAgosto 2015 8.jpg

Thanks.

UPDATE 28/10/2015

hi. In 12/10/2015 I've consulted a dermatologist, who evaluated me (said I was a Norwood 1.5) and recommended me some products:

- Avicis (17-alphaestradiol; been using since 12/10/2015)
- Pilexil shampoo (not sure about this one; I'm considering ketoconazole shampoo instead)
- Pantogar (
vitamin supplement;
I'm not considering this one as I'm already turning my diet healthier on my own and I can't see how it could help in male pattern baldness)

She said that if Avicis turns out not working we can talk about finasteride prescription. I'll be doing some blood tests also and in the next month I'll take them to her. But in the meantime, I'm starting to worry more and more about my hair, thinking Avicis can just waste my time, whereas I could've been on finasteride. In the other hand, I'm pretty scared about taking finasteride as I'm just 19 years old and have low body hair, can't grow a beard, etc.
Anyway, I've also decided to take much better pictures to start seriously evaluating my progress/loss. The first photos were taken 28 of October of 2015, all of them under direct sunlight and with soaked wet hair (except for two of them where my hair is dry and indoors and I intentionally expose a patch of scalp). I'll post the pictures down below this first page as an update.

Last edited:

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Get checked by a hair transplant doctor/surgeon. From the pics im seeing, I would say you are in the early stages of recession.

privatealex

Reaction score
you are Norwood 1.5 i do not think you have problem in crown
the bald spot is where your hair start but you are definitely hvae an issue in your hairline

HIUHAU

Reaction score
Does the fact that I don't see a major change in the daily number of shed hairs mean I'm not balding at all (or at least that I'm not agressively balding, thus having a greater hair lifespan)? Also, is there some other symptom people have when they notice they're balding, like itchiness or something like that?

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
I would also say you're a NW1.5.
Does the fact that I don't see a major change in the daily number of shed hairs mean I'm not balding at all (or at least that I'm not agressively balding, thus having a greater hair lifespan)? Also, is there some other symptom people have when they notice they're balding, like itchiness or something like that?
When it comes to shedding I didn't have any particular noticeable increase in shedding until recently. Up until recently I wouldn't notice any hairs in the shower or an unsual amount in my comb. But now when I comb my hair I have a ridiculous amount of minaturized hairs raining from my scalp. So I wouldn't say a low amount of shedding means much for your future hairloss.

Also in terms of any other signs of balding i'd say look out for inflammatory sensations (burning, tingling, tenderness). Often times they coincide with balding. In my case, early on, I didn't notice any odd sensations but when my hairloss spread it was accompanied by these inflammatory sensations (and usually the sensations were concentrated in areas that were indeed experiencing loss).

HIUHAU

Reaction score
Here are the pics (I would like to read your opinions on what to do):

28 October 2015 photos

2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg11.jpg