19 months finasteride...

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, some small tips to everyone about finasteride:

- It increases your Testosterone, means that your libido will be better. Unless you keep reading and thinking that you're worst than before.

- There's no such thing as good responses, Finasteride will work for everybody, it may not work so good in people with aggressive hair loss than people with weak hair loss.

- Saw Palmetto, Beta-Sitosterol, etc are equal do Finasteride. So, if someone decrease the same quantity of DHT in their body using these natural things than Finasteride and have "side effects" in Finasteride but not in the natural medications, the fact is that the side effects are psychologic.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
Re:

douggie said:
Sorry guys, busy.

The only side I got was watery jizz for about 2 days. WRT gyno and holding fat, I am in the best shape of my life right now so that never stopped me. IMO, that is because I am in a pretty up mood so I stay active. I sat around and moped the whole 3 months following the discoery I was losing my hair.

On finasteride...

The first 3 months were hell, but I kept my hair real long. I know I shed like a banshee though. Months 3-6 nothing really happened. Months 6-9 I had a horrible shed, but stuff started growing toward the end as there was no change in the way my hair looked. Then, months 10-12 things were awesome, I could start spiking my hair up again which was sweet. Months 12-14 I would say were pretty bad, I shed huge and my spot which was bad, the area right up in the front on my hairline, was ridiculously thin. Month 15 or so everything picked up and my hair has been that way since.

I would say the worst months were 6-9 and I am currently in the best months. My ex chick said my hair is way thicker than before and so did my father who told me that he thought I was losing my hair but and wanted to know what happened.

Oh, I am a diffuse thinner and it worked equally well everywhere.

The best part is, I more thanlikely would have just stopped using it after 9 months because at that time it didn't look significantly different. A combination of not cutting my hair til after 9 months and knowing from this website that I would need to wait out the sheds kept me going on it.

Oh, I got my fincar from inhousepharmacy I believe.

I have a pic, but I don't really want to host it anywhere. If I could just upload it here I would.
Awesome dude.
You only used fincar and not rogaine or minoxidil?

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

Nice douggie.
Just curious, you did not add minoxidil at all?

I'm on finasteride & Nizoral as well.
But adding minoxidil now.
Since some say can see better results with by adding minoxidil.

Should I just stay on finasteride & Nizoral and DON'T add minoxidil?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you are responding well to finasteride and nizoral,why add MINOXIDIL ? Dont do it unless you are ready for some shedding and you are interested in thickening your hair up a little bit.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
26th month back on since stopping for 6 or so months. Hair is great, no issues, still just finasteride 1mg and nizoral 1-2x a week, no minoxidil, didn't need it. No more sheds as far as I can tell and hair is back to where it was before I made the moronic decision to stop for 6 months. Still using fincar cut in to 5 pieces. Only thing of note wrt hair is it's getting gray, but at least it's still there.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back douggie. Your story was one of my inspirations.

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
douggie said:
26th month back on since stopping for 6 or so months. Hair is great, no issues, still just finasteride 1mg and nizoral 1-2x a week, no minoxidil, didn't need it. No more sheds as far as I can tell and hair is back to where it was before I made the moronic decision to stop for 6 months. Still using fincar cut in to 5 pieces. Only thing of note wrt hair is it's getting gray, but at least it's still there.

douggie,

please look at my story here: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=90749

and here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60727&start=0

i am thinking of going back on finasteride, as to what ive read to what has happened to you, please read that link above and give me your input,

thanks

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do month 31 the second time through. Things are perfect, hair is great. Really couldn't ask for more from the finasteride. No side effects or anything, nothing much to report, and I have no idea when my last shed was, but I haven't had one between my last post and now.

Albern

Reaction score
douggie said:
Been on finasteride 1mg since Aug 2003 and nizoral since Feb 2003.

What can I say, life is good, hair is good, and I am never here anymore. Just figured I would pull in to let you folks who are taking finasteride that it does work for some of us. I would guesstimate my curent status at or around 90% of what I had as a 21 year old. I started noticing hair loss at 25 and didn't do anything til I was almost 27. I am 28 now.

Also, I switched to fincar in August and I continue to get results.

Hi douggie, Nice to see you here at the forum and most welcomed on the forum coming back.... Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us..... I think that we have nice time here and acknowledge much by our conversation.......

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
nice story, well now I think to go back to finasteride after reading this...

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
douggie said:
Getting ready to do month 31 the second time through. Things are perfect, hair is great. Really couldn't ask for more from the finasteride. No side effects or anything, nothing much to report, and I have no idea when my last shed was, but I haven't had one between my last post and now.

31 months eh?

And I'm complaining still no full hair after 19 months with finasteride & nizoral.

I guess I need to reach 31 months at least.

^^

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I guess I am in week 38 my second time through, although I quit finasteride about 2 months ago. I didn't quit because it stopped working or I got side effects, I actually stopped taking it to test out a hypothesis I have. I am a personal trainer by trade and have done tons of research specifically on improving health independent of weight loss over the last couple of years. The current nutritional program I have my clents on is very similar to the anti-inflammation diet, and I have a supplement progam that they also take. The 2 clients I have that are meticulous about doing what I recommend have completed changed their health, and it just so happens that their hair has been growing at an incredible rate with synchronized shedding followed by thickening. Unfortunately for us dudes, they are both chicks, so I decided to be my own guinea pig. As I was going through some boxes during a recent move I found some research I did on hair loss way back before I started taking finasteride and a lot of it matched up with what I was recommending. I remember back then researching Omega 6:Omega3 ratio and decided there was no way I was going to give up my way of eating. Times have changed and I am pretty cool with eating the way I wouldn't back then. In January I started eating this way and have noticed dramatic thickening everywhere. So, my plan is to document my progress without finasteride, and pretty much give away the nutrition and supplement program here so that anyone who wants to give it a try with or without finasteride for hair restoration can.

To start off, I want to describe why I am making these recommendations and why I think they work. Most people look at their circulatory system as a collection of blood vessels, but for our purposes, your blood vessels can be thought of as 1 organ. Why is this? For one, they are continuous, the blood vessels in your head come in to contact with the same blood that goes thorough the heart, femoral artery, etc. Second, when people think of heart disease they think of damage to the vessels supplying the heart. The problem with this is that the damage is basically everywhere, the symptoms are only recognized at the heart because they cause dysfunction there. The same kind of damage that is seen in the blood vessels in the heart are seen in the blood vessels in the penis, which is how erectile dysfunction occurs. In fact, ED has been shown to be a strong indicator of future heart complications (Typically within 3 years), which makes sense because whatever is causing the damage to the blood vessels in the heart makes it's way to the blood vessles in the wang. Long story short, the blood vessels in the scalp encounter the same circulation. Chronic inflammtion is the primary driver of vascular damage so goal numero uno is to limit or eliminate it. This is done with DHA, Krill Oil, Turmeric, low to no consumption of grains, and no sugar.

Secondly, there is no reason why your testosterone levels or 5-AR levels should change with age. The free radical theory of aging, which is the prevailing theory on aging, states that free radicals are a natural byproduct of cellular metabolism. Aging is a direct result of our body not being able to remove free radicals as fast as they are being produced. This free radical damage causes cells to malfunction and in some instances die. It makes sense that this could contribute to hair loss. So, taking antioxidants should fix the problem, correct? Not so much, your goal should be to increase your body's ability to produce glutathione, your body's endogenous antioxidant. What makes glutathione a much better antioxidant is that most antioxidants are similar to finasteride in that they are suicide inhibitors of free radicals. When an antioxidant encounters a free radical, it donates an electron and in the process becomes a free radical itself. Glutathione, while having it's own antioxidant capabilities, also recharges the exogenous antioxidants by donating an electron. Goal numero dos is to maximize glutathione levels. A recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that the decrease in glutathione production seen with aging can be reversed with Cysteine supplementation. You can do this through N-Acetyl Cysteine supplementation, but I just use Mercola Pure Power Protein which is from grass fed cows and undenatured (not heat processed), which prevents degradation of the Cysteine. I also take Astaxanthin because it is a kick *** antioxidant and cheap as hell. It also has improved my skin, specifically the wrinkles, and things that help your skin tend to help your hair as well. In the diet I give to clients, there are 2 required foods, you must eat broccoli and blueberries every day. In fact, broccoli sprouts are better than plain ole broccoli, but alternating is a good idea. These 2 foods are potent activators of the NRF-2 pathway, which is how glutathione is produced.

Finally, something most people are unaware of. Every cell in your body contains the same DNA, your liver cells, your skin cells, your muscles cells, etc. In fact, if you were to take a stem cell and put it in a petri dish, it would differentiate in to any of the above based on the environment it is in. Your DNA can be thought of as a master blueprint for you. The portion of the DNA that is read is based on the environment the cell is in. The reasoning for this is that as molecules bind to the cell membrane, they cause certain portions of your DNA to be read, the portion that pertains to that particular environment. Hair loss is no different, the gene(s) for hair loss will not express themselves if the proper environment isn't provided, which is why limiting inflammation is important. I could talk for hours about that but won't. For more on this, read up on epigenetics. To make a long story short, I will just tell you that every time you eat, you should be eating at least 2-3 servings of vegetables, and some form of protein. Optimally, all cows are grass fed and all animals are free range, this changes the make up of the fat they produce and is pretty important.

So, this is where my journey will take me. I have no idea if it will work or not, but I have seen my hair get better as I have done this with finasteride, so I am interested if it will work solo. I am not against going back on finasteride, but if I can keep my hair without unnaturally altering my hormone levels, I would prefer that route. I will probably start a new thread in a couple of months since this will be a dramatic departure from my old regimen.

ogdan

Reaction score
can you post your diet, supplements and eating habits (how many meals a day, large meals or small, what intervals, what you usually eat)

This is definitely no replacement for finasteride, but i have seen better results combining finasteride with MSM and Biotin and am open to improving my eating habits to help hair growth. Thanks!

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Everythinng I do is listed there

No grains (cereal, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.) (Sweet potatoes are ok every other day)
Cruciferous vegetable every day (Broccoli, cauliflower or the like)
Blueberries every day
Protein and vegetable every meal (2-3 servings vegetables)
3 meals a day
Turmeric, DHA, Krill Oil, Multi-vitamin, Mercola Pure Power Protein, and Astaxanthin (Dosages on bottle)

Also, the only dairy I eat is cheese, and I try to eat fermented dairy every other day.

Meal intervals ar3e when I am hungry. I do have to note that I do recommend taking Rholdiola Rosea if you are not accustomed to burning fat as a primary fuel source. If you are currently eating more than 150g of carbs per day this includes you.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool story, very motivating. Thanks for sharing. :punk:

I'll go for popping a pill though. No offense but that diet is hardcore to maintain if this isn't your profession...

jplvr

Reaction score
That diet isn't too bad. Cutting carbs is tough for some, but the carb deficit side effects only last a week or so. I'm doing about 20g total carbs per day right now and it's going great. Keeping up with carbs is a chore at first, but I'm used to it at this point and only track my intake on days where I try something new. Started about a month ago (probably more now) and I'm down 15 pounds.

Beer was the toughest thing for me to cut. I'm trying to lose weight so alcohol in general has been limited, but now I just drink vodka on ice when I do drink.