19/f With Hair Thinning; My Road To Hair Growth

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I want to start this post by saying that I'm incredibly optimistic about my journey. If you're reading this and you're feeling down about your hair, I need you to stop, take a deep breath and tell yourself that everything is going to be ok. You live one life. Stop crying about your hair. It's a complete waste of time. Persevere through it and do your best to get answers.

I started realizing that my hair was thinning earlier on this year in March. However, it accelerated this past couple of weeks. I don't shed a horrible amount of hair. After I shower I lose an average of 10-20 strands. My hair is really dry and the strands are rubbery and it breaks really easily. I refuse to believe that I have Androgenetic Alopecia and I say this not because I am in denial but because I am a 19 year old female. I know my hair thinning has something to do with my health and if you're as young as me and you do not have any family history of hair thinning, please do something about it and do NOT believe those doctors that tell you that you've got Androgenetic Alopecia without doing proper and THOROUGH blood tests.

My hair thinning has taken place on almost every part of my head. I've been told by my parents that I've been losing a lot of weight too. I started my new job earlier this March but I wouldn't say it is stressful. It's just a new environment.

Just a few days ago, I told my parents about my hair thinning and they were incredibly supportive and were willing to help me out with whatever I needed (As every parent should).

I've done my research and found out that these were what I needed to check on in order to ensure that my hair growth is in check:

1. Thyroid (Full Panel): TSH, T3, T4
  2. Hormone Levels
  3. Food Allergies: Wheat, Dairy?
  4. Gut/ Intestinal Health: No inflammation like Thyroid or Gluten Antibodies
  5. Zinc, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Iron
Regarding point 3, I believe it might be a possibility because I've been eating whole grain sandwiches almost every single day at work. At the same time I've been having constipation. I've read that it is possible to develop a food allergy or insensitivity to gluten making it hard to absorb nutrients.

I'll be going for my health screening next Saturday (16/7) and hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

I am obviously worried because I know that my hair will continue to thin before I am able to do something about it but I am hopeful. I've cried and blamed God but I know He has His reasons and maybe the reason is this. I hope this turns out to be a success story. Let's keep inspiring each other and helping each other out. I'll update you guys soon (-:

Cheers,
Shypie789

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update!

It is the 16 of August. I received my results and as expected my ferritin levels were extremely low - 14. I began taking Floradix an organic liquid iron. It has been 8-9 days since I started and I already see a tremendous improvement. The is growth all over the hair line and my hair feels healthier and it also has much volume. I would have to check on my iron levels in a few more months and I believe it will take a few months for my hair to return to its best shape. Eating healthy is also vital.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair grows at a rate of like 1/4 - 1/2" per month, so the most growth in an ideal situation within eight days would be extremely tiny, thin, practically invisible hairs! I wish the best for you, but saying your hair got thicker in eight days is wrong. good luck :)

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair grows at a rate of like 1/4 - 1/2" per month, so the most growth in an ideal situation within eight days would be extremely tiny, thin, practically invisible hairs! I wish the best for you, but saying your hair got thicker in eight days is wrong. good luck :)

I'm constantly seeing posts like this on female forums and ironically they ALL promoting Floradix iron which is an expensive liquid iron.

I dont know if that is going on here but...8 days?

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm constantly seeing posts like this on female forums and ironically they ALL promoting Floradix iron which is an expensive liquid iron.

Hello! It's been 8 months since I've posted here and I felt that it was important to return back to give an update. Throughout these 8 months it's been pretty challenging. When I said 8 days, I actually meant that but i've realised that that is nothing compared to the progress I've made.

I am pretty sure you guys are wondering, how is my progress. I am incredibly proud to say my hair has returned to its thick self. I've grown 95% of my hair. They're not wirey anymore and neither are they extremely dry. I owe that all to floradix, managing my stress levels and eating a well balanced diet filled with omega 3's, beets, spinach and all the other good stuff. I am so happy and feel free to ask me any questions. I completely understand what a lot of you are going through and I owe it all to the resources available online for getting me through this.

If you're young and you realise that you've been feeling tired really easily and your strands are thin please get your FERRITIN (iron store levels) checked.

Thanks for reading!

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello! Thank you so much for the encouragement. It's been 8 months since I've posted here and I felt that it was important to return back to give an update. Throughout these 8 months it's been pretty challenging. When I said 8 days, I actually meant that but i've realised that that is nothing compared to the progress I've made.

I am pretty sure you guys are wondering, how is my progress. I am incredibly proud to say my hair has returned to its thick self. I've grown 95% of my hair. They're not wirey anymore and neither are they extremely dry. I owe that all to floradix, managing my stress levels and eating a well balanced diet filled with omega 3's, beets, spinach and all the other good stuff. I am so happy and feel free to ask me any questions. I completely understand what a lot of you are going through and I owe it all to the resources available online for getting me through this.

If you're young and you realise that you've been feeling tired really easily and your strands are thin please get your FERRITIN (iron store levels) checked.

Thanks for reading!

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello! It's been 8 months since I've posted here and I felt that it was important to return back to give an update. Throughout these 8 months it's been pretty challenging. When I said 8 days, I actually meant that but i've realised that that is nothing compared to the progress I've made.

Thanks for reading!

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks for reading!
I agree with buckthorn. Maybe your hair was thickening up ever so slightly but you just didn't notice it till today. Also, I doubt your ferritin could have risen drastically in such a short amount of time. Anyway, I hope your hair continues to improve.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
did you say you noticed improvements after 8 weeks? i had persisting hair loss for three years with wiry, dry strands. turns out my ferritin was low (24). i raised it to 70s around november and have maintained it there, but no regrowth yet. that was five months ago. i do have mini hairs sprouting up everywhere where i part the hair.

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score
did you say you noticed improvements after 8 weeks? i had persisting hair loss for three years with wiry, dry strands. turns out my ferritin was low (24). i raised it to 70s around november and have maintained it there, but no regrowth yet. that was five months ago. i do have mini hairs sprouting up everywhere where i part the hair.

yea! well I thought my hair had gotten thicker but looking back it must've been the tiny hair sprouting that made it feel a little thicker. That being said, my hair is extremely thick right now and it has been 8 months or so? I took the liquid iron for sure but it was on and off for a few months only. If I could remember, the last time I took it was in december last year. However, i've been trying to avoid the iron supplements and improving my diet instead by eating healthy and regularly. What do i mean by regularly? A lot of people skip meals and eat unhealthily or in small proportions. they its is ok because they're used to it but I was that person! I was eating bread for brunch and then i'd have my dinner. I lacked the nutrients needed and so I began to eat all my meals. filling meals. iron densed food such as beets, spinach, red meat were my go tos! i began eating lots of salmon too because of the omega 3's.

I haven't actually checked my ferritin level but I definitely should once I've gotten the time to do so. your wirey strands definitely has to do with the iron! have you cancelled out any thyroid issues or vitamin issues just to be sure? any gluten intolerance or hormonal problems? the mini hair sprouting is a great sign! I saw it too in the beginning. Please start improving your diet. I believe it was the biggest reasons why I got my hair back to where it is today

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you say omega 3 is important for hair too? i haven't ruled out thyroid but i feel that would have some more extreme symptoms including loss of appetite and energy, which i don't have. i'm taking vitamin d and l-lysine and collagen regularly.

my hair got like this way back in 2014. i'm guessing that's when the ferritin deficiency started. with the follicles being dormant that long it may take up to eight months or a year before noticing difference... all i can do is wait and do my best.