18 with receding hairline

hairguy123

Reaction score
I first started noticing my hairline recede when I was about 16 and a half years old. I had had a juvenile hairline up to that point. Right now I'm probably an Norwood 2.5. My maternal grandfather and mom's brother both experienced hair loss at the same age and had noticable temple recession (I'm not sure what they were on the norwood scale as I don't have any pictures which show the tops of their head). My dad is almost bald at the age of 55, however he didn't even start losing his hair til his late 30's. I can definitely see miniaturization of hairs along my hairline but my uncle and grandfather experienced the same thing at my age as well. After a couple years their hairloss just stopped and didn't start up again for another 20 or so years. They were definitely passed what people refer to as a mature hairline like maybe almost an nw3. My question is does this typically happen to guys who's hairlines recede in their late teens. I also am farther along than my friends as far as puberty is concerned. I started growing facial hair at the time I noticed my hairline receding and I have a lot of chest hair for a teenager. My uncle and grandfather were also very hairy men. Since my hairloss is following the exact same pattern as theirs does this mean mine will also pause at a certain point for a long duration or am I screwed. I'm not really concerned about a receding hairline as my forehead was always really small so it's not making my forehead look huge, I just really dont want diffuse thinning. I should also add in that no male in my extended family has had considerable amounts of hairloss before their late 30's. Also would supplements like saw palmetto help stop the process and whats the deal with hair loss shampoos?

shookwun

Reaction score
Finasteride.

Nothing else works.

All those snake oils, and herb supplements are absolute garbage.

djhair

Reaction score
Fight it

My first post here, I feel your pain when I was 18 I started to notice my hair falling out a lot. I'm 24 now and would say I haven't given up, my advice keep on fighting.

I agree start using Finasteride 1m and Dermaroller the results show and I've only used it for 2 months. Everything else might not work for instance Hair laser treatment doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is only a mind**** used it for 12 months and didn't get any effect from it, just another snake oil product.
Get on the real FDA stuff, don't let hippy herbs fool you (and i don't mean the good hippy ****)
I been using Finastride 1.25mg sins Sep 17 and i can clearly see allot of new hair, its about 50% denser already (have a look at my story and you will see the my photos)
the only thing i regret is, i wish i had the guts to get on finasteride from day 1.

hairguy123

Reaction score
Does nizoral shampoo have any benefits? I'm really hesitant about Finasteride due to the reported side effects. What about Dutasteride? If I don't get on any regimen about how fast do you think my hairline will continue to recede?

djhair

Reaction score
I haven't tired nizoral shampoo but I've tired 3 other different shampoos which claim to block DHT, reduce and stop hair loss, complete waste of money and time. Honestly you can beat around the bush but finasteride is the best option, I was like you, concerned about my sex drive and didn't take for 3 years until one month ago, I do regret not taken it sooner on my hair and pocket. As side effects go, none including down below, I personally would say it's over hyped ?

Hard to say how fast your hair line will retreat, everyone is different. I would say 2 years max with no action, could be longer or sooner ?

hairguy123

Reaction score
How far has you hairline receded on the norwood scale without any treatment by the age of 24? Have you experience any regrowth using finasteride and dermaroller?

cosmic

Banned
Reaction score
I remember reading about saw palmetto and thinking of using it. Luckily this forum helped me realise it's bs.

shookwun

Reaction score
Wasted 1 year taking it.

'proprietary blend'

'performance matrix'

Mixtures of saw palmetto, tree bark, zinc :laugh:

Can't blame the supplement companies. They are tailored to attract newbies, and we have all been at the short end of the stick.

djhair

Reaction score
How far has you hairline receded on the norwood scale without any treatment by the age of 24? Have you experience any regrowth using finasteride and dermaroller?

My hair line on the norwood scale is at 3 vertex stage, but I been losing my hair since I was 18/19, the reason I know is because I've looked at photos. It's been some fight, over the years I've been doing laser treatment and minoxidil to reduce the loss, until recently I gave up laser treatment because it did nothing or very little.

So since early December I bought my own finasteride, minoxidil and dermo roller and I can say my front hair line has shown their little faces in many years and when I touch my front fore head I can feel my little hairs. I'll post picture soon so show my progression over the months.

I've notice a medium difference, more so on my hair not falling out, it has been reduce at least by half. If you do anything get a Dermaroller 0.5mm to start with and 5% Minoxidil. The roller hurts, really hurts but dam it works.

bfinn

Reaction score
Does nizoral shampoo have any benefits? I'm really hesitant about Finasteride due to the reported side effects. What about Dutasteride? If I don't get on any regimen about how fast do you think my hairline will continue to recede?
i would quit washing your hair with any other shampoo and use nizoral 2x a week. i can't say there will be significant improvement, but i don't think washing your hair with anything else is going to be more effective than nizoral. i was scared of finasteride, which is why i'm not taking it. it's not worth it to me now that my hair loss is stable. i did however consider taking dutasteride. it seemed to be more effective with actually growing hair in the temporal regions than finasteride... but you can't always believe everything you hear on the internet.

my advice would just to be proactive and try not to let it affect you mentally/emotionally too much.