18 months of Rogaine - need advice!

georgecostanza

Reaction score
Hi,

I feel I have to describe my hair situation as I'm in a situation where I'm starting to belive my treatment might do more bad than good. Any advice you might give me is highly appreciated. I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry for any incorrect grammar or spelling.

In March 2008 I started to use Rogaine 5% since I've been noticing my temples were higher than they used to be. I really had no problem with the temples but figured I might as well start a hair loss treatment in an early phase, which was also what most seem to recommend.

I used Rogaine twice a day, 8-18h a part, in the hairline and up towards the vertex. For one year I did not notice anything, didn't think much hair fell off, but didn't see much of a re-growth either. I didn't even experience any shedding. I did, however, ge a few comments from some of my friends - who didn't know I was trying to treat hair-loss - that my hair looked full/thick.

After a year of using Rogaine I started to notice hair falling. When i applied the Rogaine i got a lot of hair in my hands, when I showered there was always an unusual amount of hair left in the shower and I also noticed how caps and pillows had more hair left on it.

At this moment I also started to notice, what I belive is, side-effects of the Rogaine by itchy, maybe sticky, scalp and what seemed to be dandruffs in the hair. This was also after a year.

And it has been like that for around 8-9 months and is still going on. I still don't notice any major difference hair-loss wise, atleast not in the hairline, but I fear it might start to show any day now.

It might be worth saying that for two months I used another kind of Minoxidil 5% as my store was out of Rogaine - it was more or less after this two month my hair loss accelerated. A coincidence?

A few weeks ago I read about Ketoconazole and decided to try it. Considering I seemed to have dandruffs and since it's a recommended product in the fight against hair-loss I thought it would be perfect.

For three weeks I used a Ketoconazole 2% anti-dandruff shampoo, twice a week, and two days ago I noticed an extreme amount of hair left in the shower. For 8-9 month it has always been alot of hair left in the shower - but this was atleast twice of that!

I was hoping it happened because I hadn't washed my hair for a few days, but the day after (yesterday) i washed my hair with a mild regular shampoo and balsam (both without silicon) and about the same amount of hair fell off again.

It has been an insane amount of hair I picked out of the shower tha last two days!

Other things that might be of interest regarding my hair-loss:

- I'm 25 years old.

- My dad has thin hair, he tells me it started when he was 30-40 years old.

- My seven years older brother has a good head of hair. Maybe not the same density as it once was, but it looks good and to me his temples appears to be better than mine.

- My mom's sister has a son the same age as me, ha has a very good hair line. His older brother does too.

- According to my mom, her uncles on her mom's side didn't have any problem with hair-loss.

- I have considered Finasteride, but I feel that I'm not going to go for that.

- Because of a family situation I have experienced a huge amount of stress the last year.

I'm kind of panicing right now. What do you think is happening to my hair? Should I continue the treatment besides the side-effects and the nine month shed (that appears to have accelereted now? Or should I quit and hope most of my hair is not dependent on minoxidil and my scalp will get better?

T

Timi

Ok

but take finasteride to minoxidil

minoxidil allone is not so good

Timi

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
ok. i hate to be a jerk and make any personal attacks here. but...ive noticed that timi's comments/advice are always skewed one way or another. i dont know what to say about the minoxidil, as i've also been trying to figure out how much good its doing my hair. but im just saying, dont take timi's comment too seriously

rcom440

Reaction score
Timi doesn't know what he's talking about. Obviously he hates minoxidil the best drug for regrow on the market, no question about it, but listen to Timi - quit minoxidil and take finasteride Topic 3x5mg Proscar in 60ml Vodka!!! :woot: