1750's story - (long winded list of failures)

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - VENTING TIME!!

First started losing my hair at 17 (I'm now 27).
Always had a highish hairline however people pointed out to me by 18 "nice receeding hairline mate".... (I'll give you farkin mate, mate!).
I then grew my hair much longer and as it was still thick I could part it in the centre and cover my hairline up and stop those so inclined to point out my lack of hair.

Anyway at 19 my girlfriend at the time encouraged me to go to Ashley & Martin and started using a 5% minoxidil solution plus some shampoos and other hair treatment stuff.
It was bloody expensive but comparatively to other members I was paying far less $150 per bottle instead of $200-250 (but was still getting bent over the coals).
Initially I had good results with thicker hair and even regains in my hairline.... so much so that I was almost paranoid about how much was returning.
Anyways the cash flow of a student stopped me being able to afford to continue the treatment.
On and off over the following 8 years I have gone through bursts of spending up big and buying products, supplements mainly consisting of various minoxidil bottles, DHT shampoo blockers, saw palemetto and even 1/4 tablets of proscar.
At 27 now my receeding hairline seems to not be going any further back.
The problem is on top it is thinning so much that it looks like the front of my hair is becoming an island that is slowly drifting away from the mainland.
1.5 years ago I started using remox from physician hair growth... again quite pricey but they "apparently" offer one of the highest strengths of minoxidil on the market. I used this for 6 months and the results were satisfactory with my hair becoming thicker but not regrowing any additional or regaining any of my losses.
For the last 4 months I have been using 1/4 tablets of proscar, using a bloody hairmax laser comb, and spraying 5 or 7% minxidil on my scalp.

Here's where it gets frustrating..... Talk about shedding, previously it seemd that I only lost hair when I washed it or ran my hands through it.
Well for the last 4 months now I still have those symptoms but also have hairs all over my pillow.....and my hair is in rapid loss mode.
Whereas previously remox etc worked.... now NOTHING is!!

I know I have a bad digestive system whereby I'm over run with bad bacteria in my guts and I need to 1. fix my crappy diet. 2 regain the balance of good flora and 3 shake systemic candida.

I'm considering hair transplants now....
Anyone in Australia recommend someone to see?
or any advice on where to go or what to try next would be great…..

thanks for reading my rant

Goingat20

Reaction score
hey man
I wouldnt recommend a transplant just yet. Firstly make sure you get your diet back on track. Keep using the proscar, you could be going through a shed, these hairs will grow back and hpefully thicker! Also add nizoral shampoo which you can get from your local pharmacy. Keep using the minoxidil, be consistant with your applications and dont stop using it. Take a good multivatamin with breakfast in the morning. And also look into spironolactone 5% cream which could help with your hairline ( minoxidil.com ). Have a look into Dr Proctors products also ( drproctor.com )

Dont give up yet, your seems to be shedding so ride it out, and hopefully things will get better. If you could take pics and post them we could look at your hair and suggest if a transplant is a good idea.

Good luck man

Established Member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
hey man
I wouldnt recommend a transplant just yet. Firstly make sure you get your diet back on track. Keep using the proscar, you could be going through a shed, these hairs will grow back and hpefully thicker! Also add nizoral shampoo which you can get from your local pharmacy. Keep using the minoxidil, be consistant with your applications and dont stop using it. Take a good multivatamin with breakfast in the morning. And also look into spironolactone 5% cream which could help with your hairline ( minoxidil.com ). Have a look into Dr Proctors products also ( drproctor.com )
Dont give up yet, your seems to be shedding so ride it out, and hopefully things will get better. If you could take pics and post them we could look at your hair and suggest if a transplant is a good idea.
Good luck man

Thanks mate - just bought some spironolactone today.... also some more minoxidil and will grab some nizoral (been a while since I used this)
I'll try attach a few pics soon (once I take some that is).
Prob is that the pics never show accurately the extent of my loss as I tend to keep my hair at a length that best hides how thin it is (perhaps multiple angles will help).

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When you go off of minoxidil you will usually lose the hair you were maintaining with minoxidil. You must continue treatment as long as you are wanting to keep the hair.

Established Member
Reaction score
well I've given myself a complete buzz cut....ie no number blade and just one step before an all over head shave with a razor.... not overly happy with the look but what can you do eh meh! Some strands of my hair may grow back :p

Bought myself some:
Xandrox15 1 x per day
Sprio 5% twice a day
Nizoral 2% every 2nd day

Started taking
Zinc
Lysine
Flaxseed oil
coconut oil
Ginko Biloba
Liquid Carnitine
MSM
this on top of the 1/4 tab of proscar daily
Remox II x 1 per day
The remainder of an old bottle of Nioxin every other day (in between Nizoral)
Laser comb 3 times a week

quite a pain in the a#$@ taking all these tabs and stuff... is there anything that'll combine the recommended amount of Arginine, lysine, zinc, msm, carnatine and other essential fatty and amino acids all in one or two tablets at all??.... (otherwise this list of vits might have to be trimmed somewhat due to costs... that or I'll choke on a tab sooner or later).

all the best

Established Member
Reaction score
well here's a continuation of my rant, not that anyone gives two beats of a bats foreskin (actually that's a lie - the support on this forum is always encouraging, sometime just good to let a bit out!!).
update...
Had serious issues with finasteride - Numb nuts, depression and I now have some rather large nipples that look much like I've been on roids ala b**ch tits!
Got off that hormone changing sh!t.... unfortunately I think it was just starting to take good effect and my hair stopped falling out + looked to be getting thicker.
As with nearly everything I do I went gung ho on everything for say 3-4 months and had some good reulst.
Again I got lazy, complacent and slowed dwon my intake of vitamins, stopped using the laser comb altogether and only applied minoxidil sporadically with spironolactone.
For a good period I thought I was doing well with say one application of minoxidil a day and more just a maintenance routine in keeping my existing hair.
But now comes the falling out again each time I run my hands through my hair.
Going to pick up my routine again and this time try to stick with it!!!
Currently doing
spironolactone apply morn and night first
Tricomin 5 or so mins after spironolactone morn and night
15% Dr Lee minoxidil in the morning 10 mins or so after tricomin
5% minoxidil at night after tricomin.
Am thinking of (after the advice of a kind member on the board) introducing some revivogen, although, once a question I've asked in another forum is answered might drop spironolactone and not use revivogen at all and give remox 3 or 4 a crack.
Kind of like the idea of remox 3 or 4 as it means I don't have to apply as many topicals as it is a growth stimulent and DHT inhibitor all in one....(any opinions on these products are welcomed)

anyway - for those that are reading thanks and I hope you get the results you're after re hair maintenance/regrowth etc