17 years old.. Should I take Rogaine

michael94

Reaction score
Hey, I'm 17 years old, turning 18 in march. My hair has been thinning very slowly since last year, and I just want to maintain what I have, I don't really care for any regrowth. My hair loss is only on my hairline and temples. I've been on rogaine foam for about a week now, but I've read so many horror stories about rogaine making your hair loss worse and speeding up the process. So i was thinking of quitting rogaine before I do any further damage to my hair. Is there anything else I can do besides propecia to maintain my hair? I am also currently using nizoral 1% 2x a week. Thank you so much.

michael94

Reaction score
Also if rogaine is applied to healthy hair what will happen? Will it thin them too and make them shed too?

findmyhair

Reaction score
I would stick to just propecia for the mo mate. Your only 17 so propecia will keep what you got and hopefully improve over the next year and then when your older if it starts going again then throw on the minoxidil.

michael94

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I would go on propecia but I'm only 17 years old, I want to be at least in my 20's before I start propecia

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the general consensus is that minoxidil causes shedding at first and then the hair grows back thicker as time goes on. So yes, you probably will notice more hair loss at first, but it will look better as time goes on.

You should keep Propecia in mind at least. I waited a long time because I was afraid of the side effects that I'd been hearing on the internet, but when I eventually went on it, I did not have any. Now I very much regret not going on it sooner.