17 Years Old Freaking Out About Balding

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, wrong section. I would advise seeing a dermatologist. They could let you know if your hair is miniturizing. At such a young age, most treatments are off limits to you but perhaps a Doctor can guide you. You should do this soon so you stop going insane in front of a mirror and googling hair loss.

As far as genes, there is no way to know although it seems like your mother’s father is a good indicator. There is also no way for us to know without pics. For what it’s worth I started balding when I was 21 and wasn’t aware anyone in my family history had male pattern baldness. It turned out my mothers real father was bald (My grandmother remarried). I had never met him or seen a pic of him in my life. Quite the shocker.

Rgfa

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 17 years old and for the past year I’ve been really worrying about my hair, I’ve always had decently thick hair, not extremely thick but also not thin, and I’ve also had a pretty high hairline in general. In July of last year (2017) I noticed that my hairline wasn’t straight and I had significant thinning near the temples, I was still 16 at the time and got extremely stressed over it, all my friends have a straight line of hair going across their forehead but mine seems like a curvy “M” shape.

The only person in my family that has experienced male pattern baldness is my grandpa on my moms side which really freaked me out at first because people always say that you get your hair from your moms dad. He was completely bald by the age of 45. Other than him every other man in my family has extremely think hair, my grandpa on my dads side is 75 with a full head of thick grey hair. The only thing I hope is a sign that I won’t bald is that my dad has had the curvy “M” shape that I have ever since he was my age, my dad has always had medium length hair (like me) to cover up the mature hairline that he got when he was around my age. I am basically the spitting image of my dad, everyone always says that I look just like him when he was my age, we have the same facial structure, same height, same everything basically. So I’m hoping my hair stays the same way it is just like his did.

I’ve done research on male pattern baldness and all that good stuff, I know my hairline has receded, I’m not trying to deny the fact that my hairline isn’t straight anymore. I have been keeping an eye on my hairline and crown area ever since last july( taking picture and videos) it doesn’t seem to have changed THAT much, I’ve only lost the tiny little hairs that used to barely cover my temples. I’ve also noticed some tiny grey hairs (about 1/4 in. - 1/2 in.) near my left temple area (which is where I part my hair), you can’t see them in the pictures but when I really look close enough into the mirror I can clearly see them. The grey hairs might be due to vitiligo because I’ve noticed a patch of skin that lost its pigment near my hairline and above my eye, the areas are significantly whiter than the rest of my skin. I just want to know if you guys think my hairline will stay the same like my dads did or if I’ll have a future of balding ahead of me, if so what things can I do to keep my hair the way it is or even possibly grow some hair back.

I rarely find hairs on my pillow and when I shower I lose maybe about 15-30 strands depending on how long I shower for, when I comb my hair I lose about 5-20 depending on how much I brush through my hair.

I’m sorry for writing so much, I’m just really stressing over my hair. I really don’t want to go bald. I’ve been trying to tell someone about my problem but I feel embarrassed, I finally built up at least a little courage to post on here. Thanks for the help. Please reply back asap.
I’m 17 years old and for the past year I’ve been really worrying about my hair, I’ve always had decently thick hair, not extremely thick but also not thin, and I’ve also had a pretty high hairline in general. In July of last year (2017) I noticed that my hairline wasn’t straight and I had significant thinning near the temples, I was still 16 at the time and got extremely stressed over it, all my friends have a straight line of hair going across their forehead but mine seems like a curvy “M” shape.

The only person in my family that has experienced male pattern baldness is my grandpa on my moms side which really freaked me out at first because people always say that you get your hair from your moms dad. He was completely bald by the age of 45. Other than him every other man in my family has extremely think hair, my grandpa on my dads side is 75 with a full head of thick grey hair. The only thing I hope is a sign that I won’t bald is that my dad has had the curvy “M” shape that I have ever since he was my age, my dad has always had medium length hair (like me) to cover up the mature hairline that he got when he was around my age. I am basically the spitting image of my dad, everyone always says that I look just like him when he was my age, we have the same facial structure, same height, same everything basically. So I’m hoping my hair stays the same way it is just like his did.

I’ve done research on male pattern baldness and all that good stuff, I know my hairline has receded, I’m not trying to deny the fact that my hairline isn’t straight anymore. I have been keeping an eye on my hairline and crown area ever since last july( taking picture and videos) it doesn’t seem to have changed THAT much, I’ve only lost the tiny little hairs that used to barely cover my temples. I’ve also noticed some tiny grey hairs (about 1/4 in. - 1/2 in.) near my left temple area (which is where I part my hair), you can’t see them in the pictures but when I really look close enough into the mirror I can clearly see them. The grey hairs might be due to vitiligo because I’ve noticed a patch of skin that lost its pigment near my hairline and above my eye, the areas are significantly whiter than the rest of my skin. I just want to know if you guys think my hairline will stay the same like my dads did or if I’ll have a future of balding ahead of me, if so what things can I do to keep my hair the way it is or even possibly grow some hair back.

I rarely find hairs on my pillow and when I shower I lose maybe about 15-30 strands depending on how long I shower for, when I comb my hair I lose about 5-20 depending on how much I brush through my hair.

I’m sorry for writing so much, I’m just really stressing over my hair. I really don’t want to go bald. I’ve been trying to tell someone about my problem but I feel embarrassed, I finally built up at least a little courage to post on here. Thanks for the help. Please reply back asap.
First of all, wrong section. I would advise seeing a dermatologist. They could let you know if your hair is miniturizing. At such a young age, most treatments are off limits to you but perhaps a Doctor can guide you. You should do this soon so you stop going insane in front of a mirror and googling hair loss.

As far as genes, there is no way to know although it seems like your mother’s father is a good indicator. There is also no way for us to know without pics. For what it’s worth I started balding when I was 21 and wasn’t aware anyone in my family history had male pattern baldness. It turned out my mothers real father was bald (My grandmother remarried). I had never met him or seen a pic of him in my life. Quite the shocker.
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll try to post some pictures, just need to find out how.

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, see a dermatologist before you post pics. If you want more opinions then go ahead.

I certainly hope it isn’t male pattern baldness. But just know there has never been a better time to be going bald. I would kill for my hair loss to have started in 2018. Many new treatments are on the horizon. There are current treatments that could perhaps hold you over until then if your doctor allows it. Good luck.

Rgfa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, see a dermatologist before you post pics. If you want more opinions then go ahead.

I certainly hope it isn’t male pattern baldness. But just know there has never been a better time to be going bald. I would kill for my hair loss to have started in 2018. Many new treatments are on the horizon. There are current treatments that could perhaps hold you over until then if your doctor allows it. Good luck.
Thank you, honestly. I’ll be sure to look into seeing a dermatologist.