17 years old and Bald

BobbyJ

Reaction score
Well I'm 17 years old and I am balding. I get made fun of at school about it. I recently went to bosley but they say they could not do anything because of my age. Any suggestions of things I can do to make my hair atleast seem thicker, because honestly I'm not even going to my prom because of this problem. CAM00089.jpgCAM00090.jpg

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
You can use minoxidil 5%. Buy kirkland minoxidil online and use it every day(almost risk free). It will make you regrowth some hairs and maintain it for about 2-3 years.

They won't prescribe you finasteride because you are under 18 years old and it is a RISK for sexual developement at this age.
Wait until you are 18-19 while you are using minoxidil, then you could probably get a prescription or buy it online (finpecia brand). Just be aware of the possible side effects.

You can also buy a LLLT laser system, it works on some people.

And you can hide it with fibers systems like caboki (it works well) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVkM894-xc

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I would just give minoxidil a try. finasteride is a no go at this point like Mikazz said because of your age. Caboki would give the appearance of more hair. The problem is people at school will question why you have more hair all of a sudden and give you even more crap when they find out why.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hello! . . i dunno if it is the best advice but if my hair looked like that i might have shaved it off. That will make you look younger, with that hairstyle you ll look older than you are. And as people said give 5 % minoxidil a try but i dont think it will do much, you have very aggressive male pattern baldness dude. Even getting on finasteride after a year later wont do much seeing the aggressive nature of your male pattern baldness. But there is no harm in trying(give youi dont get any sides). I wish you luck. I might sound very negative but i think its better to be on a realistic plain even if it sounds negative.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
That is pretty aggressive hairloss, man. Sorry to hear it.
Some people are fully developed at the age of 15-16. I stopped growing taller at 14-15 and had a full beard at 15-16. however, hairloss got serious at 23. I have heard of people getting finasteride prescribed at 17.

If you can, get on minoxidil twice a day, and get finasteride as soon as possible.
You should start nizoral shampoo. Couldn't hurt.

In the mean time, buy a hair clipper, and cut it with no guard all around. Will make you look younger.

BobbyJ

Reaction score
Thanks everyone but I'm guessing I'm just going to shave head in the next few weeks but at least I can grow my beard out (I have more hair on my face than head lol) I already been on rogain for 4 months but I think its just maintaining my hair how it is. I'm not gonna lie high school been rough because of my hair but good thing I only have this year left.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone but I'm guessing I'm just going to shave head in the next few weeks but at least I can grow my beard out (I have more hair on my face than head lol) I already been on rogain for 4 months but I think its just maintaining my hair how it is. I'm not gonna lie high school been rough because of my hair but good thing I only have this year left.
Trust me beard and shaved look is much better than your current look( i cant even grow full beard at 24 :/), hopefully you will have relatively good days ahead :). Having said that i cant imagine going through school with early male pattern baldness, you are one strong kid, i would have lost half of my sanity. Best of luck. I hope everything turns out for the better for you.

Chris25

Reaction score
Well I'm 17 years old and I am balding. I get made fun of at school about it. I recently went to bosley but they say they could not do anything because of my age. Any suggestions of things I can do to make my hair atleast seem thicker, because honestly I'm not even going to my prom because of this problem. View attachment 27261View attachment 27260

you should start taking finasteride immediately. if you cant then use 5% minoxidil. I dont get it. why can't they do anything? where i live they even treated a 10 years old boy.... btw you can wear a baseball cap or a hat. that is what i used to to.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would just start finasteride if your hair loss is that bad you must have been done with puberty for a good amount of time

you may even want something stronger because of how aggressive your hair loss is. You can look into taking topical spironolactone, RU, or dutasteride in addition to finasteride (dutasteride would replace the need for finasteride if you went that route)

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you start puberty early compared to your peers?

BobbyJ

Reaction score
Their excuse was that my hairline wasn't fully developed, I don't what that means though& Honestly I do wear hats but some teachers are "old school " & they make me take it off

- - - Updated - - -

Well I was hitting puberty about 12 or 13

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
And what abut your family history, how agressive is baldness ? And how is your maternal grandfather,when he started to loose hair, and your father ? Do you have brothers ?

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Go see a dermatologist imo. They might prescribe you Finasteride since you have aggressive male pattern baldness.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to have to say this, but the truth is that this severity of male-pattern baldness (male pattern baldness) at such a young age means that your hair loss is so aggressive that it most likely isn't worth trying to fight it.

It is rare for male pattern baldness to hit a person so severely at such a young age, but it does occasionally happen, and when it does, it is an absolute death sentence in terms of your hopes of being able to successfully treat the condition. It is a cruel and unfair thing for nature to do to a young teenager, but nature can indeed be very cruel sometimes.

In my opinion, you are too young to start finasteride. It would be a major risk taking a 5-AR inhibitor at your age. In any case, even finasteride would be of limited help in cases such as yours. The truth is that your genes are programmed to want to get rid of all your hair very, very, very forcefully and ultra-aggressively.

However, in a couple of years time perhaps you could think about giving Avodart a try. For cases as aggressive as yours, Avodart would be a better choice of treatment than finasteride (although it does have a greater chance of side effects). However, even Avodart probably wouldn't be able to maintain the hair you have left for more than about five or six years after beginning treatment, because of how aggressive your hair loss is. Ultimately, nature will win the fight.

My advice would be to perhaps just shave it all off. In my opinion, it's not worth trying to fight it. Just let it go. Whatever happens though, don't let this affect your confidence and don't let it get you down. Just try to let it go, and work on embracing the shaven look.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry bro, I love you (no homo) I hope the best works out for you. Im going through the same pain as you at 17 and crying everyday. I hope everything works out, f*** this sick world. :(

Onni

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry bro, I love you (no homo) I hope the best works out for you. Im going through the same pain as you at 17 and crying everyday. I hope everything works out, f*** this sick world. :(

Keep your head up. It's not the end of the world. I have two options for you. If you feel like you have to have hair, try the medications, but if you want to face it, you should maybe watch youtube channels called "Nick Shell" and "Baldcafé".