17 year old hair thinning and receding hairline

Younghairloss123

Reaction score
I'm only 17 years old and my hair has been thinning over the last 3-4 months. My hair was fine in January but I started noticing my sideburns and sides thinning and didn't think anything was wrong untill a few weeks ago the top of my head was getting really thin. My hair has been really thick all my life and my dad went bald in his 30's but didn't get thin in his side area. my hairline receded a little but was fine because it looked good with thick hair but now my hair is really thin and it looks bad. Now when I take showers I can see the little hairs on my scalp. I have a dermatologist appointment on Wednesday so hopefully It will stop and get better. Also the hair on my sides come out really easily and I don't need to use any force for them to come out Im really stressing out about this and don't know what to do. What can I expect from the dermatologist and what do I have?

teenbalding

Reaction score
Hey younghairloss123, dont know if you still use this account but I am in exactly the same situation as you, and would like to know what the dermatologist told you, any solution, and how are you copping with.

Mapleman

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't wait it out, get a script for generic finasteride and try it for a few months. If you see any noticeable decrease in shedding/decreasing you probably were balding.