16 years old - Am i balding or am i going crazy? (pics)

kburk

Reaction score
Hi! I'm 16 years old - I know a lot of people say I'm "too young" to go bald, but I know that it's happened before and I think the people on this forum know what they're talking about, so any advice and information would be very much appreciated.
About 8 months ago, I started shedding a LOT of hair. I went to the doctor, and was told that it was just a period of more-than-normal shedding that everyone goes through. Sure enough, it went away in a month or two.
But over the past couple of months I've realized I can see my scalp through my hair in places I don't remember being able to do so in the past. Maybe it's just in my head - but I'm convinced that this is the case. Mostly around the "parts" in my hair: where the sides meet the top. When I'm in the shower, I lose about 5-15 hairs, which is normal (I think). And throughout the day, i would estimate maybe another 25-50? Did have a bit of a smoking habit for a few months but it was very sparse and i don't do it anymore - I keep fit as much as possible (running track) and my diet isn't terrible.
My mom's brother is totally bald, and it started around 23-24, according to my mom. Everyone else on my mom's side is thinning or already there, but a lot of them are over 50. And my dad has a pretty good set of hair at 53 with just thinning that comes with age, as do most of his brothers.
I've included some pictures, and some opinions on whether I'm losing my hair or losing my mind over the situation and just scaring myself would be awesome. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAGE_086 - Copy.jpg
    IMAGE_086 - Copy.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 2,051
  • IMAGE_085 - Copy.jpg
    IMAGE_085 - Copy.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 4,918
  • IMAGE_083 - Copy.jpg
    IMAGE_083 - Copy.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,718
  • IMAGE_084 - Copy.jpg
    IMAGE_084 - Copy.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,234

kburk

Reaction score
thanks, i very much appreciate that! i've kind of come to terms with the fact that i'll definitely be going bald one day and it wouldn't be much of a leap to say that i wouldn't mind having to shave my head sometime in the future. i just didn't want it to start so early.

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
is baldness, you need use finasteride

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
kburk said:
anyone else with an opinion?

is baldness, i know, me beginning with 16 years like your + frontal hairline

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellboy666 said:
kburk said:
anyone else with an opinion?

is baldness, i know, me beginning with 16 years like your + frontal hairline

STFU. You were never losing your hair, get off the forum because your presence just insults people who are actually balding/bald.

kburk,

Your hair doesn't look bad and I don't see any obvious signs of balding. I'd keep an eye on it and take pictures every once and while. Don't become obsessive about it though, focus on things in your life that are important. The hairloss treatment will still be here down the line IF you start balding for sure.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
DON'T USE FINASTERIDE YET! Your way too young! And you actually still have a good head of hair. If you really want to do anything about it begin using Rogaine / Minoxidil (preferably 2% for now) or Ketaconazol shampoo (Nizoral). Get on Finasteride when your 100% sure you've finished puberty (18 is the very earliest age you should consider using it).

But to me it doesn't seem likely you'll be balding any time soon. Follow Captain Combover's advice, and come back if you see things getting worse. Applying Minoxidil is quite a hassle, and can make your hair look greasy sometimes so I'd postphone it for as long as you are not looking worse...

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
GOING BALD SO, SORRY...

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hellboy666 said:
GOING BALD SO, SORRY...

Ignore this guy, he's a troll, just look at his story. The guy has a perfect head of hair.

kburk

Reaction score
IrishFella said:
Hellboy666 said:
GOING BALD SO, SORRY...

Ignore this guy, he's a troll, just look at his story. The guy has a perfect head of hair.

thank you haha, he's actually more annoying than anything else.
but thanks to everyone else for the responses! my confidence has gone up tremendously since getting some opinions that i've got nothing to worry about for at least a little while longer :)

danyboy

Reaction score
Let face it you have no physical problem with your hair loss what so ever. Many young people are worried and should not be dismissed as trolls. If your hair is a problem in your social environment you could read about BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) and if it applies to you. BDD is a very common problem with similarities with anorexia.

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
Do not say I did not notice