12 weeks on minoxidil foam (Regaine and Kirkland), no results

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Simply put: I've been on finasteride continuously since January last year with no progress, so I added 5% minoxidil foam 12 weeks ago out of desperation. Regaine and Kirkland brands. After 12 weeks I've neither 'shed' or had any visible regrowth and my hair is as thin and visibly balding as ever. What should I do? Keep going on foam or quit? The foam cans say discontinue after 4 months if no improvement, which is basically my situation, unless a miracle happens in the next month. I've not missed a day's application since starting (apart from 4 days hiatus early on), and have used disposable latex gloves to apply the foam each day to minimise absorption into my fingers.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
i would give it a month or two. keep your head up. most people dont see results until month 4 or so. i noticed it around 14-15 weeks.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive encouragement. :) Were/are you on finasteride as well?

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
Kirby you should definitely keep going. I don't think 12 weeks is enough time, at all. You need to give at least double that, if not more. Changes to our hair in general is a very slow process. Even slower for those whose hairs have already started to thin. You need to give time for the minoxidil to stimulate your follicles, you may not notice a huge shed, but your hair is inevitably shedding (since it's natural) and in theory the replacements should be healthier hairs. But you don't go from thin hair to completely healthy hair in one cycle, it has to cycle a few times, each time getting stronger and stronger. This does not happen overnight, and it does not happen in 12 weeks.

Keep going brother, we're all pulling for you!

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things I was worried about as well with adding minoxidil, because you get to the point where you're thinking it's not going to work, but you're also thinking that there could be a possibility that you decided to quit too early, whereas if you stuck with it for another month you would of had results. I've read about a lot of guys getting results by six months, so if I was you I'd at least give it that long.

Good luck, Buddy.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks B36. :)

I think I will give it 24 weeks at least as anonymous suggests; I already have enough bulk-bought foam to last until then.

Using minoxidil, the application, is far more convenient than I imagined before starting, at least with the Regaine and Kirkland foam varieties. At least I'll say that in favour.

TheCatMan

Reaction score
Keep going, its nice you use the gloves but I gave up after a few years ;)

Its good to try kirkland foam vs rogain foam, I have now tried them both and still prefer kirkland liquid. It is far more stronger and penetrates to the skin better, the improvement is better then foam, even kirkland foam!

In fact ill write up a quick thoughts on kirkland foam compared to others/

Keep up with the use, may take 3 or 6 or 12 months !

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Will keep at it; I have a stockpile of foam already waiting. :salut:

I am beginning to suspect that liquid is superior from a 'medical' point of view, but the foam just makes me feel better to see my hair all plumped up and volumised, LOL.

Tried Kirkland and Regaine foam and I found the latter better from a purely cosmetic point of view, it just feels nicer on my hair on scalp.

TheCatMan

Reaction score
rogain foam does feel a higher and better quality, it really does act like volumizing foam and its better then kirkland foam... but not by miles, am enjoying kirkland foam and can still add some volume and shape.

Still it does not beat the effectiveness of kirkland liquid, I wish I used that from day 1 or tried it rather then 3-4 years on rogain foam instead may have saved or regrew much more!

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Still no sign of any improvement however slight (I'm not expecting miracles) despite keeping up the regimen daily. I'm keeping the minoxidil so that I can try the dermaroller protocol though.