10+ year Finasteride 1mg daily user - just dropped to 0.5mg

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading the studies that 0.2/0.5/1.0 yield similar results, I started on 0.5mg Saturday night for the first time. At the beginning of my journey at age 32, I did have minor sides (libido, brain fog) that eventually went away. I've had great results maintaining, and adding Minoxidil 2/day was a miracle of regrowth. Starting last night, I started getting slight pins and needles all over my body, and I couldn't sleep because I wasn't tired at all. Could that be my body adjusting to the hormonal change?

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
After reading the studies that 0.2/0.5/1.0 yield similar results, I started on 0.5mg Saturday night for the first time. At the beginning of my journey at age 32, I did have minor sides (libido, brain fog) that eventually went away. I've had great results maintaining, and adding Minoxidil 2/day was a miracle of regrowth. Starting last night, I started getting slight pins and needles all over my body, and I couldn't sleep because I wasn't tired at all. Could that be my body adjusting to the hormonal change?
Probably. I doubt cutting back of 5-ar would cause side effects if you didn't have them at 1mg.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably. I doubt cutting back of 5-ar would cause side effects if you didn't have them at 1mg.
But I did have side effects initially on 1mg years ago, but then went away over time I believe as my body recalibrated itself. Now that I've halved the dose, I feel like my body is going through that hormone rebalancing exercise again. My point of all this is that there is indeed a difference between 1mg and 0.5mg even if serum DHT is barely changed.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
But I did have side effects initially on 1mg years ago, but then went away over time I believe as my body recalibrated itself. Now that I've halved the dose, I feel like my body is going through that hormone rebalancing exercise again. My point of all this is that there is indeed a difference between 1mg and 0.5mg even if serum DHT is barely changed.
Was there a reason for cutting your dose?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Was there a reason for cutting your dose?
Honestly, the only reason was reading the research that its effectiveness is practically the same and I figured why take more than I need to. I had been on 1mg for so long, so I couldn't tell where I'd be symptom-wise without it, so why not reduce and see what happens. I can tell you that yesterday morning I had a raging morning hardon, which hasn't happened in several months. I'm 44 now.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, the only reason was reading the research that its effectiveness is practically the same and I figured why take more than I need to. I had been on 1mg for so long, so I couldn't tell where I'd be symptom-wise without it, so why not reduce and see what happens. I can tell you that yesterday morning I had a raging morning hardon, which hasn't happened in several months. I'm 44 now.
You might be right. It could be recalibration. When did you start finasteride and how has your hair held up?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
You mean you had massive regrowth after 12 years of taking min and finasteride?
No, I only maintained and grew a little bit for about 11 years. Then when I started WFH due to the pandemic, I more consistently applied min 2-3 times per day and didn't wash my hair every day. I saw MASSIVE hair growth since that started.

jazz1

Reaction score
No, I only maintained and grew a little bit for about 11 years. Then when I started WFH due to the pandemic, I more consistently applied min 2-3 times per day and didn't wash my hair every day. I saw MASSIVE hair growth since that started.
Awesome.