10 Months After Fue - Losing Transplanted Hairs

Patterson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had an FUE transplant 10 months ago,I have experienced good growth but since 1 month ago I noticed hairs falling every time I shower or run my hand through the hair - especially the transplanted area.
The doctor who performed my surgery saw me this week suggested I should not worry and to continue using Minoxidil 5% only once a day, since this is just a phase and hair will eventually grow back. I am a bit worried as the hair continues to fall and I can already notice a difference in the aspect.

I have used Kirkland minoxidil 5% for the first 5 months and then I stopped, before restarting it again. It has also been quite a stressful period for me so I am wondering if it is really just a phase like my doctor says and that I should not worry too much until because these things can happen before the 1 year and 4 months before a hair transplant can be considered a success or not.

What do you guys think? I have been reading forums and didn't see anyone experiencing the same problem - enjoying good results with their hair transplant for the first 9 months and then experiencing hair loss - which makes me worry. I am going to see my doctor again in September. My question is if I should completely trust him and try and ignore the fact that the hairs keep falling, wait for the hairs to grow or should I contact other clinics too for professional advice.

Thank you

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, its not a good idea to keep starting minoxidil and then stoping it because you will keep disrupting your hair cycles. Second, are you on finasteride? If not, get on it. It will help transplanted hairs get stronger.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had an FUE transplant 10 months ago,I have experienced good growth but since 1 month ago I noticed hairs falling every time I shower or run my hand through the hair - especially the transplanted area.
The doctor who performed my surgery saw me this week suggested I should not worry and to continue using Minoxidil 5% only once a day, since this is just a phase and hair will eventually grow back. I am a bit worried as the hair continues to fall and I can already notice a difference in the aspect.

I have used Kirkland minoxidil 5% for the first 5 months and then I stopped, before restarting it again. It has also been quite a stressful period for me so I am wondering if it is really just a phase like my doctor says and that I should not worry too much until because these things can happen before the 1 year and 4 months before a hair transplant can be considered a success or not.

What do you guys think? I have been reading forums and didn't see anyone experiencing the same problem - enjoying good results with their hair transplant for the first 9 months and then experiencing hair loss - which makes me worry. I am going to see my doctor again in September. My question is if I should completely trust him and try and ignore the fact that the hairs keep falling, wait for the hairs to grow or should I contact other clinics too for professional advice.

Thank you

finasteride.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil tricks about 10% of your hair follicles into growth mode, so if you were using it and stopped then there is a chance you shed about 10% of your hair in the areas it was applied. If any grew in a transplanted area they would also shed.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could also consider PRP + Acell The results are very controversial but i believe it's generally thought to work better for a transplant.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would help to know what type of hair loss you have and how much hair you're losing.

It's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day since a small percentage of your hair is always in the shedding phase.

Minoxidil could've also triggered a shed phase and it's very common for people to shed during the first half a year of using it. Doctors usually say it always gets worse before it gets better.

You can only evaluate if Minoxidil is working for you by using it for a full year.

Don't forget that just because it's transplanted hair from your stable donor doesn't mean it isn't gonna cycle like the rest of your hair. You'll have your routine anagen and telogen phases. So your hair will grow for awhile and then it will fall out to make room for new hair to sprout and the cycle repeats.

Patterson

My Regimen
Reaction score
It would help to know what type of hair loss you have and how much hair you're losing.

It's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day since a small percentage of your hair is always in the shedding phase.

Minoxidil could've also triggered a shed phase and it's very common for people to shed during the first half a year of using it. Doctors usually say it always gets worse before it gets better.

You can only evaluate if Minoxidil is working for you by using it for a full year.

Don't forget that just because it's transplanted hair from your stable donor doesn't mean it isn't gonna cycle like the rest of your hair. You'll have your routine anagen and telogen phases. So your hair will grow for awhile and then it will fall out to make room for new hair to sprout and the cycle repeats.

Thanks for your reply. I had the transplant because I was not happy with my receeding hairline in the front - Norwood stage 2 - stage 2 anterior. Like I said, everything went well. I used minoxidil from october until March this year when I was feeling kind of a rush whenever using it,so I decided to quit it at least for a while since everything was going well and I was happy with the results.
Since last month I have started to notice hairs fall every time I shower. I am completely aware of the hair growth cycles - and that we shed around 50-100 hairs daily but I am afraid is way more than that. Even now , when running my hands through the head I can notice hairs that fall. The aspect of the hair is quite damaged - both transplanted area in the front but also the crown where I need used to have any problems.
Like I said, I had a stressful period of time at work and with some family issues so I was thinking maybe that could be a reason ?
The doctor who performed the surgery who I saw last week told me not to worry too much since this can be normal and asked me to go back for a check in September. I'm just worried that if the hair continues to fall like this I will be losing around 40% of it by September.

Thank you

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I had the transplant because I was not happy with my receeding hairline in the front - Norwood stage 2 - stage 2 anterior. Like I said, everything went well. I used minoxidil from october until March this year when I was feeling kind of a rush whenever using it,so I decided to quit it at least for a while since everything was going well and I was happy with the results.
Since last month I have started to notice hairs fall every time I shower. I am completely aware of the hair growth cycles - and that we shed around 50-100 hairs daily but I am afraid is way more than that. Even now , when running my hands through the head I can notice hairs that fall. The aspect of the hair is quite damaged - both transplanted area in the front but also the crown where I need used to have any problems.
Like I said, I had a stressful period of time at work and with some family issues so I was thinking maybe that could be a reason ?
The doctor who performed the surgery who I saw last week told me not to worry too much since this can be normal and asked me to go back for a check in September. I'm just worried that if the hair continues to fall like this I will be losing around 40% of it by September.

Thank you

I understand. Best of luck to you with your transplant and I hope everything turns out well for you.

Stress can be a trigger for hair loss which is temporary.

There can also be shocks or triggers that can cause Telogen Effluvium which is reversible as well and your issues could've been a trigger.

Although you quit minoxidil it can still cause a shed after quitting.

These are just possible causes and may or may not be the issue. It's always best to go get evaluated.

Transplanted grafts are always set in place within 2 weeks and can't fall out after that.

If you take anything out of this: don't stress because that will definitely not help. Easier said than done, but it can still trigger temporary hair loss until the stress is removed from your life.

shookwun

Reaction score
Tramsplants tale about two years before they are in sync. They are shedding and sleeping while some remain an Anagen.

roho

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be starting and stopping minoxidil. stick with it, unless there is a medical reason to stop. been using it for 8 years and it is routine like brushing your teeth now.

ShinobiNoMono

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi bro im having the same exact problem like you.
Did you found some solution??
Did the hair started to grow back ??
Please tell me im stressing a lot about it and im not happy