10 Months After Fue - Losing Transplanted Hairs

Patterson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had an FUE transplant 10 months ago,I have experienced good growth but since 1 month ago I noticed hairs falling every time I shower or run my hand through the hair - especially the transplanted area.
The doctor who performed my surgery saw me this week suggested I should not worry and to continue using Minoxidil 5% only once a day, since this is just a phase and hair will eventually grow back. I am a bit worried as the hair continues to fall and I can already notice a difference in the aspect.

I have used Kirkland minoxidil 5% for the first 5 months and then I stopped, before restarting it again. It has also been quite a stressful period for me so I am wondering if it is really just a phase like my doctor says and that I should not worry too much until because these things can happen before the 1 year and 4 months before a hair transplant can be considered a success or not.

What do you guys think? I have been reading forums and didn't see anyone experiencing the same problem - enjoying good results with their hair transplant for the first 9 months and then experiencing hair loss - which makes me worry. I am going to see my doctor again in September. My question is if I should completely trust him and try and ignore the fact that the hairs keep falling, wait for the hairs to grow or should I contact other clinics too for professional advice.

Thank you

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Patterson. 1st, as you mentioned that you have seen hair growth in first 10 months, then it implies that your scalp accepted the transplanted hairs. Here are the probabilities that you are facing now:
1. Recipient Dominance: According to recipient dominance theory, the transplanted hairs adopt the properties of recipient site which is more prone to the action of DHT. It makes hair to lose.
2. Telogen Effluvium: Hair loss due to nutritional deficiencies or major stress - emotional or physical which makes hairs to fall.
3. Late shock loss: I am assuming that you have gone through the initial shedding face. Now, you might be facing late shock loss phenomenon. here is a good read on shock loss by Joe Tillman on shock loss after a hair transplant.
4. Break in Medication Intake.

So, visit your surgeon and follow his advice. Don't worry about others and their result. Every person is different.

Here is my advice - Follow well & balanced diet. It should be rich in proteins, mineral, vitamins etc. Take a good sleep of 8 hrs/day. Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Regularly take medications like minoxidil and finasteride as they play very important role in hair growth after hair transplant.