10 month shed, back to square 1

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a bit concerned with this latest shed. I am interested to see who else out there may has experienced a similar situation. I have been on dutasteride for 10 months now and have experienced great results. My hair thickened up well in the front and along the vertex. About a month ago, i started taking finasteride (.25mg) along with my dutasteride (a bad decision) because i started to see an increase in hairloss. I was taking both for about a week and a half. Unfortunately, i felt that finasteride may have made progressed my hairloss.

i am now strictly on dutasteride and feel that I am still shedding fairly badly. I was completely happy with the way dutasteride was working initially. I am also concerned because i had been on finasteride for about 9 years with good success but switched to dutasteride because i felt that finasteride was no longer working well.
Could these treatments no longer be effective on me?

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think jumping around with stuff could cause sheds and shock loss, but that's my my perception not based on anything.

I'm 5 years on finasteride, and I now mostly take it because it's reccomended for the big3, not because I think it does a whole lot. The foam + nizoral really made a difference for me since 12.06.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks klink. i was thinking the same thing. your progress looks great.

what i am worried about is that i am loosing both long and short hairs. i hope this shedding stops now. it seems as if all the new hairs i grew have miniaturized and fell out. crap!

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
Dem: how long before you started noticing results from dutasteride.. and what dosage you on? any initial sheds?

i'm taking both at the moment but on alternate days..

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
Dem: how long before you started noticing results from dutasteride.. and what dosage you on? any initial sheds?

Its hard to tell since when i first began dutasteride, i was 1 month into my minoxidil. I also started to apply folligen too. I definately saw progress about a month into dutasteride but am not sure what i can attribute it to. However, I think that the dutasteride played a huge role in the increased denisty. I would say that about a couple months into the dutasteride was when i felt the dutasteride was starting to grow hair. It stayed good for 5 months before i experienced this nasty shed.

i take .5 mg/day
i documented a shed about 3 weeks into dutasteride. It stopped about 2.5 weeks after.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm just moving to dutasteride after 7 months on finasteride as i've only lost ground during this period..I will drop finasteride altogether.

For you to get this shed it shows there is quite some difference between finasteride and dutasteride..it probably has just upset the balance of your body and interupted hair cycles by phasing them in and out. Should hopefully only be temporary as you get get back in sync.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just reread your original post, and I don't see how 1.5 weeks of adding finasteride would create a special shed. Are you sure this last shed has taken you back to zero? I've had one big shed 2.5 months in, and I had a smallish one about 3 weeks ago.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
klink said:
I just reread your original post, and I don't see how 1.5 weeks of adding finasteride would create a special shed. Are you sure this last shed has taken you back to zero? I've had one big shed 2.5 months in, and I had a smallish one about 3 weeks ago.

right klink. i exagerated a little. Its not exactly back to zero but the shed has been extremely drastic and continues to still be a problem. The shed happened while on dutasteride but may (speculation) have been accelerated with the introduction of finasteride. There could be other factors that I haven't yet considered. I just hope it stops.

how long did your sheds last?
thanks

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I see you are on MSM too.

First shed seemed like it went 2-3 weeks, and then it stopped getting worse. I think 2-3 weeks later it looked less patchy.

My second shed was more on my sides because I had been applying foam to my side temples and to my eyebrows just to see what would happen. What happened is that I had some patchy spots on the sides, and my eyebrows LOL lost some density too.

So how is your hair now? How old are you?

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
just started MSM 2 days ago. I have been hearing good things about it and decided to give it a try.

i am 28, and my hair is still looking pretty bad compared to a couple months ago. Started losing hair at 19 and started propecia. last year i switched to dutas after propecia became ineffective. dutas + minoxidil + folligen was the best thing i did to combat hairloss.

Klink-
how do you like the foam? I have wavy/curly hair with thinning on the crown and front. do you think foam would be better than the liquid?
Ha! pretty funny adding foam to your eyebrows. i suppse its one way to score a unibrow if it ever comes back in style.

thanks!

T

Timi

dutasteride

Hello dem

Take you dutasteride?

Your hair get better?

My Front is very thin shedding shedding shedding i am not sure was dutasteride so bad for me
ore minoxidil Foam

Timi

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried the liquid a long time ago, and I had a lot of problems trying to style it, imagine trying to style olive oil. :)

The foam is very easy, and it has some mousse-like qualities so it will thick hair up a bit and give it more body.

As much as I am tempted to tinker, I am not going to change anything in my regimen except I might change over to Cipla Finpecia since I have some. Propecia is $62 a month for me, and it's overpriced because of the trademarking or some BS.

MSM does help speed up hair growth I think, watch after a 4-5 weeks. I take vit c too.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
klink said:
I tried the liquid a long time ago, and I had a lot of problems trying to style it, imagine trying to style olive oil. :)

The foam is very easy, and it has some mousse-like qualities so it will thick hair up a bit and give it more body.

As much as I am tempted to tinker, I am not going to change anything in my regimen except I might change over to Cipla Finpecia since I have some. Propecia is $62 a month for me, and it's overpriced because of the trademarking or some BS.

MSM does help speed up hair growth I think, watch after a 4-5 weeks. I take vit c too.

klink please let me know if the Cipla Finpecia works the same as Propecia. I might wanna switch as well. Thanks!

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks klink.

I think I will try the foam soon after the liquid minoxidil runs out.

I am still currently shedding hairs from my vertex. The hairs that I am losing do have small white bulbs at the bottom and thus i hope its a good sign.

But its a disaster right now as i wait for new hair (hopefully) to grow back.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should take pics, the pics have helped me see the progress or lack of as the case might be. I was not doing much work in terms of working the foam into my scalp before, so I started doing that a few weeks ago. We'll see if my crown sees more regrowth because I think the crown gain had peaked but who knows.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
klink said:
You should take pics, the pics have helped me see the progress or lack of as the case might be. I was not doing much work in terms of working the foam into my scalp before, so I started doing that a few weeks ago. We'll see if my crown sees more regrowth because I think the crown gain had peaked but who knows.

Yeah, I have a couple pics that track my progress. The only problem is that I didn't capture a pic at the peak of its performance. Now, at this point, this crazy shed just shows slightly better hair coverage from before. So it wouldn't show much.

Klink, I would be very interested to see how the foam is working for you (effectiveness, ease of use, handling, etc...)

Thanks!
dem

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
blaze said:
dem,

how much hair are you shedding daily?

more than 100?

I would definitely say less than 100. There are occasions that i run my fingers through my hair and out come about 10 or so at a time. I would say probably at most 40-50 daily. I am not sure.