1 year and three months on generic proscar (1mg)

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
1 year and three months on generic proscar (1mg):
(please read my whole story: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 1&start=10, it will be easier to follow this update)

Allright the most important thing is, it is going well.
My hair is in the same state as it was in at the one year point and
that is a really big succes considering the fact that I dropped minoxidil 2% early december 2005 (I had been using it consistently since october 2003).

Two or three weeks ago I maybe experienced a little increase in shedding, but it went away after a week or two. Now the shedding is back to normal.
I stopped minoxidil due to irritation issues, the more I think about it the more I believe it must have been a bad batch (I got mine from the pharmacist, he mixes it up himself) because I never had any problems using it before.
The irritation is gone now but I am a bit reluctant to start it again, because it is really liberarting not having to put it on mornings and evenings and also my hair dries now in twenty minuts where before it took up to one and a half hours. It's now three months and a half since I stopped minoxidil so I think/hope the biggest shed should have came by now (any confirmation about that??).

Like I said in previous entries in "my story" I believe minoxidil was not very efficient anymore for me (that was also the reason I started finasteride) and finasteride is the cornerstone of my regimen.

side-effects: not really maybe my erection is bit softer, but maybe that is because I do not smoke marihuana every day anymore, because on those rare days I do smoke it I am like an animal and hard as a rock...

viperfish

Reaction score
There are a few other choices for minoxidil. Dr. Lee sells a PPG free minoxidil, which would help with the irriatation. Also scalpmed is a good choice. I've been using it for over a month and no problems whatsoever. Regular minoxidil used to cause me irritation too and would cause my scalp to flake. I can't vouch for Dr. Lee's stuff, but scalmed is an excellent product.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks I know about those options but I like not having to use the minoxidil
and I am quite happy with the way my hair is now, so if I can hold out with only finasteride then that is all I am going to use for now and maybe add the minoxidil again when things start slipping.