Treating Hair Loss With Topical Finasteride (finastopic)

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hairloss is just beginning Which is a great time to be proactive and take finasteride/minoxidil. With good luck you might be able to get back everything that you've lost so far.

I say stick with finasteride for like 3-6 months. You will first lose a bunch of hair then it will start to get better. Afterwards if you want to solidify your gains, start using Minoxidil 2x a day.

Thank you dude! I think I don't see much change yet. Very soon. No heavy shedding so I guess not worse either. Yeah definetly I will stay with finasteride. If I keep on having no sides I will stay wayyyy longer than that. What I still don't know is whther it is worth to stay with topical min+finasteride in a longer term. According to my dermatologist topical finasteride+minoxidil is just a measure for the first kick in and to see quick results. I guess I should trust her, but let's see...

Just another observarion during last days: I am now shed a normal amount of hair (I guess around 20 to 40 daily) but almost all of them are very thin and short.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all. Time to update status.

It didn't get worse, that's for sure and a realease...

3 months and 15 days on treatment:

fupd75.jpg

2ik72pg.jpg
5lz0nl.jpg
sfjos8.jpg
14jyy5d.jpg

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In three days i have an appointment with the dermathologist. I will keep you updated, as promised. If anybody want further info, just ask me.[/QUOTE]

Wish I had hair like yours.

Whatever you're doing, stay the course! It's working for you! Your hair looks 100% better than
it did in the beginning.

Think you should use more on your vertex area (more than you're using now). I'm not trying to be
a dick, because your hair looks so much better than it did originally.

Topical Finasteride removes six percent more DHT in the scalp. (Compared to oral Finasteride).

It's not as good as Adrovart (Dustasteride).

That said, topical probably has the same side effects that Propecia has (five percent PFS).

Last edited:

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In three days i have an appointment with the dermathologist. I will keep you updated, as promised. If anybody want further info, just ask me.

Wish I had hair like yours.

Whatever you're doing, stay the course! It's working for you![/QUOTE]

What I am doing is following a extremely constant regyme: daily generic finasteride 1mg and topical finasteride+minoxidil 7 to 10 applications per night.

Leasson learnt: i should have started just with oral to assess what's the effect of it on me separetely. Now i have no idea if it's oral, topical or minoxidil working for me. Or maybe all toghether. Thinking in long term i will have to give up topical finasteride at some point to save money and not having a finasteride overdose. I am afraid of losing ground though.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see your point on the vertex. I am applying generously and I hope it will get eventually better, since i have always had my weakest point on two areas: vertex and right side of hairline (with a bit of comb it is not that visible). For some reason at my left side of the scalp the improvement has been huge and not symmetrical with the right side at all.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By the way, if it is anybody's interest: 0 sides so far. Not mental (I am currently having a great moment at work, having to control many tasks and people as a manager, so lack of concentration would be quickly detected) and not fisical (my sexual drive is perfectly fine). I have just put some extra kg of muscles, so it might be helping adding weight at gym. Or maybe it is just me getting older...

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinking in long term, would you think it would be a good idea to switch to Dutasteride?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinking in long term, would you think it would be a good idea to switch to Dutasteride?

Keep doing what's working for you. Wouldn't change anything.

If you continue having success like you've been having, you will be a Norwood zero
this year.

Where are you getting it from? I should probably start using your medication!
I see your point on the vertex. I am applying generously and I hope it will get eventually better, since i have always had my weakest point on two areas: vertex and right side of hairline (with a bit of comb it is not that visible). For some reason at my left side of the scalp the improvement has been huge and not symmetrical with the right side at all.

It's OBVIOUSLY working for your hair. Your hair looks much better now

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Personally, in my own opinion, I think you should stick to using both topical and oral for now.

It's working for you. Why ruin a good thing? Congratulations, you discovered what works for you.

You are young enough to regrow all of your hair.

Eventually, if you don't continue, you won't be able to regrow your hair.

With our current treatment options, dead follicles cannot be regrown.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Mine is the exact same way. Right temple is 2.5 centimeters, or one inch more
recessed than my left.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
congratulations its like a different head of hair

First pics not going to lie i did not think you would make these kind of gains

it is really impressive.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking good!! Big improvement so far. I guess the minoxidil is causing the quickest results especially if youre using it 7-10 times a day? but you never know. Keep doing what your doing and you should be good for a long time..

Oral and topical finasteride is a little unusual bit i wouldnt worry. Oral finasteride is more important but topical aswell cant hurt, not much goes systemic.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking good!! Big improvement so far. I guess the minoxidil is causing the quickest results especially if youre using it 7-10 times a day? but you never know. Keep doing what your doing and you should be good for a long time..

Oral and topical finasteride is a little unusual bit i wouldnt worry. Oral finasteride is more important but topical aswell cant hurt, not much goes systemic.

Thank you compatriot! What I meant is that I apply minoxidil everynight, but each time I spray 7 to 10 times to cover the whole scalp.

Quick update: I visited my dermatologist last week for my 6th month check-up. She examinated my scalp confirming the overall improvement and told me that on the weakest area (right mid scalp beyond my hairline) there are many little hairs coming up healthy and thick.

So that I should expect further improvement within the next months. Surprisingly, she changed my treatment and prescripted:
- prepared pills of 1.1mg finasteride+biotina.
- 6% minoxidil instead of finastopic.

She told me (when I visited her for the first time she already told me that) that finastopic was just for the beginning of the treatment in order to have a quick boost and stabilize the hairloss as fast as possible. And now is time to stop finastopic and switch to minoxidil 6%.

Definitely it is a uncommon approach and an unusual treatment. I don't know if it does make sense or not, but at lest for sure the core of the treatment (finasteride+minoxidil) is still there.

What do you guys think?

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a specific area from my left temple to the crown (where I used to part my hair) I was particularly satisfied with: my diffuse thinning almost dissapeared around the part line.

To my frustration, a few days ago I noticed this area thinned again and I can see my scalp through the light making all my nightmares come back from the crave. I have no shedding (at least not heavy at all), so it doesn't look like a sign of a cycle.

Long story short, is that normal after having proved my treatment worked for 6 months? Is it sign of my Androgenetic Alopecia being too agressive so that finasteride can not do enough to stop it? Have you suffered up and down with finasteride like this? Should I take action and go for dutasteride?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
There was a specific area from my left temple to the crown (where I used to part my hair) I was particularly satisfied with: my diffuse thinning almost dissapeared around the part line.

To my frustration, a few days ago I noticed this area thinned again and I can see my scalp through the light making all my nightmares come back from the crave. I have no shedding (at least not heavy at all), so it doesn't look like a sign of a cycle.

Long story short, is that normal after having proved my treatment worked for 6 months? Is it sign of my Androgenetic Alopecia being too agressive so that finasteride can not do enough to stop it? Have you suffered up and down with finasteride like this? Should I take action and go for dutasteride?
Post what you are talking about. Your hair looks great. I wish my hair was thick as yours. Hair usually can cycle every 3 to 6 months so it is possible to shed and look worse temporarily. You don't look like an aggressive balder.You need to understand dutasteride is for people worse off than you. I got more sides on it when I used to just once per week at the same time as finasteride. Did not notice anything better either.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Willy_Aer I see big improvement.

Eres de España? De Madrid por casualidad?
Sí. Vivo en Madrid. I had a nice improvement first 5 months. After this It got worse again. Still better than baseline though. I have still diffuse thinning all over the scall, even if the last pictures I uploaded doesn't show it well.