Signs that balding is coming to an end?

Adam23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any signs that a male balding pattern is coming to an end? Some people diffuse thin, hair remains thin on top and crown, then remains that way forever, naturally. What are come signs of hair loss coming to an halt? Losing less hairs on the shower? Or sides/crown holding up for about 5-6 years? How can you determine if you're getting close to the end of hair loss?

Adam23

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Norwood Reaper might speed up or slow down at certain times but he never sleeps.

What if you stop losing hair in the shower for a month straight? And what if you start thinning at nape of neck, which I read is considered advanced stage of balding? Does that mean your balding is coming to an end? Since some people go bald within a decade or two, while others can go from nw1 to nw6 within just five years, correct?

Last edited:

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What if you stop losing hair in the shower for a month straight? And what if you start thinning at nape of neck, which I read is considered advanced stage of balding? Does that mean your balding is coming to an end? Since some people go bald within a decade or two, while others can go from nw1 to nw6 within just five years, correct?

Shedding can fluctuate depending on various factors. It’s impossible to have zero shedding over the long term due to the nature of the hair growth cycle.

Nape hair thinning is fairly common as people approach middle age and not necessarily a sign of “advanced stage” balding.

Unless one is already a slick bald NW7 or has alopecia universalis it’s always possible that further loss could still happen. What matters is the rate of loss.
If you were not on any treatment and were stable for years at NW3/4, it’s possible that you reached your final pattern but no one really knows for sure. It’s entirely possible for male pattern baldness to stay relatively stable for years and then pick up again.

I read an old post in another forum from a 70yr old man (slightly diffuse white haired Norwood 2/3) who was a long time Finasteride user who decided to stop the drug since he believed he was done balding at his age… and then quickly progressed to slick bald Norwood 4/5 in about 6-9 months. He said he was so shocked and embarrassed by it.

Adam23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding can fluctuate depending on various factors. It’s impossible to have zero shedding over the long term due to the nature of the hair growth cycle.

Nape hair thinning is fairly common as people approach middle age and not necessarily a sign of “advanced stage” balding.

Unless one is already a slick bald NW7 or has alopecia universalis it’s always possible that further loss could still happen. What matters is the rate of loss.
If you were not on any treatment and were stable for years at NW3/4, it’s possible that you reached your final pattern but no one really knows for sure. It’s entirely possible for male pattern baldness to stay relatively stable for years and then pick up again.

I read an old post in another forum from a 70yr old man (slightly diffuse white haired Norwood 2/3) who was a long time Finasteride user who decided to stop the drug since he believed he was done balding at his age… and then quickly progressed to slick bald Norwood 4/5 in about 6-9 months. He said he was so shocked and embarrassed by it.
Damn, I wish there was a way to predict your balding pattern and how it will look when all is said and done. Wouldn't that be great?