Diffuse Facial Hair - Anyone Have Any Experience?

Paulie777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Over the last six or seven months, I’ve noticed that my facial hair is patchy and diffuse.

I don’t have coin-shaped holes — the dermatologist ruled out alopecia barbae — just diffuse thinning. The hairs appear more spaced out than they used to be. I’m just about to turn 40.

Today, I visited a trichologist, who examined my bears area with his magnifying lens. It showed that lots of hairs are different thicknesses. I’m sure this is “normal” but the difference in thickness is giving my stubble an odd appearance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone have any ideas?

I’ve had thyroid tested. Food intolerances tested. Been using low-level oral minoxidil. For a while, but it hasn’t helped.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Over the last six or seven months, I’ve noticed that my facial hair is patchy and diffuse.

I don’t have coin-shaped holes — the dermatologist ruled out alopecia barbae — just diffuse thinning. The hairs appear more spaced out than they used to be. I’m just about to turn 40.

Today, I visited a trichologist, who examined my bears area with his magnifying lens. It showed that lots of hairs are different thicknesses. I’m sure this is “normal” but the difference in thickness is giving my stubble an odd appearance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone have any ideas?

I’ve had thyroid tested. Food intolerances tested. Been using low-level oral minoxidil. For a while, but it hasn’t helped.
I think that is a positive thing for hair loss. While not always predictive of hair loss in terms of hair counts, beard growth is likely negatively correlated with having good hair. I wouldn't put minoxidil on my beard, if I still had one, ever because it is likely to promote dermatitis and some report hair loss after growing minoxidil beards. It might be that beards also interact with hair in terms of DHT reservoirs.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
But yeah, that is not an unknown phenomenon. My father with his amazing hair, had that happen maybe early 60's. It might also be associated with vasectomy or other things that might alter hormonal make up.