Dermmatch + Caboki Application W/ Pictures

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
After sleeping with it in and then showering. Sides and hairline get wet, mid stays dry, crown gets very slightly wet. I combed it without pushing the comb down to my scalp. This is before any other touchup work.

It's surprising how effected Dermatch is. You honestly don't look like you're balding at all.

Is it easy for you to style your hair after applying the dermatch? I find that after applying it and styling it I can't really move my hair around. Feels like there's hairspray on it when there isn't. I may be applying it incorrectly

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's surprising how effected Dermatch is. You honestly don't look like you're balding at all.

Is it easy for you to style your hair after applying the dermatch? I find that after applying it and styling it I can't really move my hair around. Feels like there's hairspray on it when there isn't. I may be applying it incorrectly

I had the same problem as you when I first started using dermmatch. The cause was too much product. In your areas with any hair you only need to put a little bit of dry dermmatch on and comb it in to make it even. The bad areas you need to put it on wet, but not too wet. If it looks like mud you used too much water. I sometimes have to use a second applicator if I overly wet the one I'm using. I also gently comb my hair a lot while applying it in order to distribute it evenly and keep it from clumping up.

After it is fully applied I can comb my hair as if it was normal hair. The trick is to just take your time and use as little product as you can because less looks better. Too much always looks chalky. If I were to touch up with dermmatch instead of caboki it would look like *** (made this mistake in the past).

Side note: wet the applicator, not the disc (another mistake I use to make) and it looks better. I set my faucet to just barely drip cold water. A few drips, rub it, pat it on, repeat til complete (for me, always 3 times).

Another advantage I have is I cut my own hair. I cut it so I have the most coverage possible to hide the concealers. Without concealer in my haircut looks ridiculous, but if it cut my hairs normally then the chalkyness is a bit more obvious. I go for a medium - long haircut. I'm actually debating seeing if I can pull off long hair (john wick style) with concealers.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just ordered 30 grams of Caboki! Says it only works if your hair is at least .5 inches long which is my exact length at the moment. So I'm kinda cutting it close lol. If it doesn't work with my current hair I'll be forced to grow my hair a bit longer :( Let's hope it works! Thank you for the inspiration bro. I'm only 21 and this sucks but seeing this community going thru the same thing I am really helps. All love

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are wet pictures. This is immediately after getting it wet, maybe waited 1 minute before taking a picture.

Attachments

• 20200519_205203.jpg
    20200519_205203.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 555
  • 20200519_205211.jpg
    20200519_205211.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 546
  • 20200519_205212.jpg
    20200519_205212.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 540

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are pictures 10 minutes later of letting water hit it.

I can't stress enough... you need to use dermmatch plus caboki. Caboki alone will look like absolute sh*t if water hits it; It is wind resistant but not water resistant. Dermmatch does the heavy lifting, 95% of the coverage and makes it waterproof. Caboki just fills in my part and helps the color look more natural and is used on the second (sometimes third) day to keep it looking real; if water hits it while showering it dries kinda off and caboki fixes that (I usually just have this problem with my crown). If it stays wet it looks good.

Attachments

• 20200519_205221.jpg
    20200519_205221.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 20200519_205308.jpg
    20200519_205308.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 20200519_205312.jpg
    20200519_205312.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 433
  • 20200519_205324.jpg
    20200519_205324.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 449

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are pictures 10 minutes later of letting water hit it.

I can't stress enough... you need to use dermmatch plus caboki. Caboki alone will look like absolute sh*t if water hits it; It is wind resistant but not water resistant. Dermmatch does the heavy lifting, 95% of the coverage and makes it waterproof. Caboki just fills in my part and helps the color look more natural and is used on the second (sometimes third) day to keep it looking real; if water hits it while showering it dries kinda off and caboki fixes that (I usually just have this problem with my crown). If it stays wet it looks good.
Been using Dermmatch with my current haircut and it's pretty hard for it be covered because of how short it is. I have a feeling I'll be using a bit more than you. Though I've heard less is more. Let's hope Caboki can add some volume and coverage to my thinning buzzcut! Should be here around the end of the month.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing what you're able to do, unbelievable. Are you on any treatments?

I was microneedling at 1.5 once a week but work ramped up and I didn't have enough recovery time. I then went down to .8 but haven't been consistent. I have more free time now and plan on restarting at 0.8 every other week.

I take 1mg of finasteride daily and 10mg of oral minoxidil daily. I have been wanting to experiment with 2.5mg 4x a day, which I plan on finally starting on Monday.

I also am on and off vitamins and supplements. I don't like to take anything for too long at a time, so usually do 6 months on then 1 month off.

Attached is a picture of my supplements that I usually take.

I wanted to give PRP a shot, but it is $700 a go near me, and I can't justify throwing away that much with no guarantee. Considered a hair transplant, but holding off a few more years hoping a better option comes around.

Concealers are definitely buying me time and allowing me to wait for the possibility of something better. If I lost my hairline then I would definitely go straight to a transplant. Ever since I found out that Jon Cryer was using concealers on 2 and a half men I was determined to figure out how to get a real looking coverage, and I've been pretty happy with my results.

Attachments

• 20190919_082900.jpg
    20190919_082900.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 363

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been using Dermmatch with my current haircut and it's pretty hard for it be covered because of how short it is. I have a feeling I'll be using a bit more than you. Though I've heard less is more. Let's hope Caboki can add some volume and coverage to my thinning buzzcut! Should be here around the end of the month.

I definitely had difficulties when my hair was short. Caboki will give you texture, but you might need to use a bit more. A 30 gram bottle lasts me 4 to 6 months now. With short hair it would last about 1.5 months, tops . I'd rather go heavy on the caboki than the dermmatch. Going heavy on dermmatch means it looks chalky. Going heavy on caboki means a higher chance of some rubbing off, but hairspray can fix that.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I would definitely do this for a special event or wedding or something, but day to day seems particularly difficult, seeing as I'm already using minoxidil and another saw palmetto topical which may not be doing anything, but I'm giving it a shot.

Are you worried about the particles scattering in the air and inhaling them? I read that is a concern.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would definitely do this for a special event or wedding or something, but day to day seems particularly difficult, seeing as I'm already using minoxidil and another saw palmetto topical which may not be doing anything, but I'm giving it a shot.

Are you worried about the particles scattering in the air and inhaling them? I read that is a concern.

I don't use topicals because of my regular concealer usage. Over the last 3 years I've maybe had 20 days total per year of not using a concealer.

I put it on lightly, so minimal risk of inhalation.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely had difficulties when my hair was short. Caboki will give you texture, but you might need to use a bit more. A 30 gram bottle lasts me 4 to 6 months now. With short hair it would last about 1.5 months, tops . I'd rather go heavy on the caboki than the dermmatch. Going heavy on dermmatch means it looks chalky. Going heavy on caboki means a higher chance of some rubbing off, but hairspray can fix that.
Hm. Interesting I thought shorter hair would mean you use less. Good to know! The Caboki comes in on the 30th. Think I might grow my hair an inch or two, or hell just grow it all out long bc you say it works better on longer hair. Quick question about that though. Not sure if you remember my thread from like a week ago but when my hair gets longer the thin hair really looks noticeable. Not at the scalp bc I've got Dermmatch in but anywhere besides the root you could see it was thin or damaged looking. Feel free to look back at the thread for photos. Would Caboki be able to fix that or is that something I'll just have to deal with? If it's the latter, I'll probably go for a caesar/crop cut. Do you think the fibers would work for bangs? Sorry about all the questions I'm just nervous this stuff won't work the way I'd want it to. Thanks again.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm. Interesting I thought shorter hair would mean you use less. Good to know! The Caboki comes in on the 30th. Think I might grow my hair an inch or two, or hell just grow it all out long bc you say it works better on longer hair. Quick question about that though. Not sure if you remember my thread from like a week ago but when my hair gets longer the thin hair really looks noticeable. Not at the scalp bc I've got Dermmatch in but anywhere besides the root you could see it was thin or damaged looking. Feel free to look back at the thread for photos. Would Caboki be able to fix that or is that something I'll just have to deal with? If it's the latter, I'll probably go for a caesar/crop cut. Do you think the fibers would work for bangs? Sorry about all the questions I'm just nervous this stuff won't work the way I'd want it to. Thanks again.

I think your hair looked good in your post about dermmatch, but you could always get another product to help with that. I use jason thin to thick hairspray and john frieda volumizing conditioner. Some people say those clay waxes help also, but I always aim for minimal.

I personally wouldn't use fibers on bangs because I had a terrible experience from back when I used toppik. I was on a date and it ran down my forehead a bit, very embarassing. She had no clue what it was and probably assumed I was just dirty. I got a 2nd date, but then it happened again and it was just too awkward.

If you do use it on bangs then you definitely need something to lock it in. Jason thin to thick is good if you can get away with minimal hold. If you want maximum hold then the hairspray from caboki is pretty good, but it makes your hair feel like it is solid.

You might even be able to apply dermmatch slightly wet to the thin hair, using a comb to hold it and carefully coating the thin areas while being mindful about not pulling it too much. You'd get the chalky appearance, but hairsprays do a decent job at covering that up, you just need to make sure the dermmatch is fully dry or the hairspray will make it not dry right and you'll have an issue with it rubbing off in your hands.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your hair looked good in your post about dermmatch, but you could always get another product to help with that. I use jason thin to thick hairspray and john frieda volumizing conditioner. Some people say those clay waxes help also, but I always aim for minimal.

I personally wouldn't use fibers on bangs because I had a terrible experience from back when I used toppik. I was on a date and it ran down my forehead a bit, very embarassing. She had no clue what it was and probably assumed I was just dirty. I got a 2nd date, but then it happened again and it was just too awkward.

If you do use it on bangs then you definitely need something to lock it in. Jason thin to thick is good if you can get away with minimal hold. If you want maximum hold then the hairspray from caboki is pretty good, but it makes your hair feel like it is solid.

You might even be able to apply dermmatch slightly wet to the thin hair, using a comb to hold it and carefully coating the thin areas while being mindful about not pulling it too much. You'd get the chalky appearance, but hairsprays do a decent job at covering that up, you just need to make sure the dermmatch is fully dry or the hairspray will make it not dry right and you'll have an issue with it rubbing off in your hands.
Okay so Caboki on bangs is a no go. Good to know. I'll see how it looks on the buzz and decide if I'll grow it out or not.

If I do grow it long, I'll have to use a product to get rid of the whispy-ness of the hair on top. Maybe a leave in conditioner so I don't have to wash it out every night like the clays and sprays. Do you think the leave in should go in first or the fibers?

Lastly, not sure if I've asked this before but I've noticed a lot of people use fibers for the scalp. If someone had a bit longer hair, say medium length, do you think they could work for the middle/ends of hair as well? Not just the root? Thinking of going with the voluminous wavy undercut I had a few months back. Thanks bro!

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay so Caboki on bangs is a no go. Good to know. I'll see how it looks on the buzz and decide if I'll grow it out or not.

If I do grow it long, I'll have to use a product to get rid of the whispy-ness of the hair on top. Maybe a leave in conditioner so I don't have to wash it out every night like the clays and sprays. Do you think the leave in should go in first or the fibers?

Lastly, not sure if I've asked this before but I've noticed a lot of people use fibers for the scalp. If someone had a bit longer hair, say medium length, do you think they could work for the middle/ends of hair as well? Not just the root? Thinking of going with the voluminous wavy undercut I had a few months back. Thanks bro!

I would put in the leave in conditioner before the fiber.

I have longer hair, around 6 inches, and I've used fibers alone to thicken it up. At one point, when it was around 3 inches, I wore a messy spiked up style. If wearing it up, I'd suggest the spray attachment since it'll be easier to hit the hair that is up.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But do you give your hairstyle a lot of volume? Because that's where I feel like I might run into problems.

https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/2be...e611a3c7dc-cole-sprouse.2x.rvertical.w460.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BP2Z3LJ.jpg
this is the type of hairstyle I'm going for. I know I can make my roots seem thick it's just everywhere else I need help with. I really pray Caboki will help with those other areas. I hope it can give me enough volume and fullness throughout the hair because I know the leave in will weigh my hair down plus my hair is thin. What's your opinion? Achievable?

Also do you know where I can buy the spray applicator? I've heard mixed reviews on it.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.caboki.com/m/caboki-atomizer-applicator.html for applicator.

When I want volume like that I use john frieda volumizing conditioner, towel dry by patting top where dermmatch will go, apply dermmatch, blowdry only wet dermmatch area with cold shot until dry, then I spray fine to full blowout spray, also from John frieda, then I blow dry with heat and on high.

With that method you need to try to use as little wet dermmatch as possible because it will add to the weight and flatten it out. Back when I only used Caboki I was able to achieve the look easily by using the conditioner, skipping towel dry, blow drying hair 1/3rd dry, spraying the fine to full blowout stuff, then finishing the blowdrying followed up by caboki.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgot to add, and editing posts has been hard lately due to site lag.

The applicator is useless 90% of the time. I wouldn't fully apply it that way. But it does make that 10% easier. When I wore my hair in a messy spikes style I was able to use much less product and get more than just the roots. I have the toppik applicator, due to it coming with the combo I originally purchased, but the caboki one should work exactly the same.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.caboki.com/m/caboki-atomizer-applicator.html for applicator.

When I want volume like that I use john frieda volumizing conditioner, towel dry by patting top where dermmatch will go, apply dermmatch, blowdry only wet dermmatch area with cold shot until dry, then I spray fine to full blowout spray, also from John frieda, then I blow dry with heat and on high.

With that method you need to try to use as little wet dermmatch as possible because it will add to the weight and flatten it out. Back when I only used Caboki I was able to achieve the look easily by using the conditioner, skipping towel dry, blow drying hair 1/3rd dry, spraying the fine to full blowout stuff, then finishing the blowdrying followed up by caboki.

Hm does the conditioner actually work that well? I find it very rare for those products to actually work. Do you use the shampoo as well or just the conditioner bc the shampoo could have sulfates or whatever.

Also this fine to full blowout spray you speak about, is it also a heat protectant? Bc I don't think either of us want damaged hair lol.

I appreciate you telling me your routine for your hair bro. I'm still kinda on the fence if I should grow it long or not but if I do I'll be sure to refer to your method. Thank you so much for your help.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm does the conditioner actually work that well? I find it very rare for those products to actually work. Do you use the shampoo as well or just the conditioner bc the shampoo could have sulfates or whatever.

Also this fine to full blowout spray you speak about, is it also a heat protectant? Bc I don't think either of us want damaged hair lol.

I appreciate you telling me your routine for your hair bro. I'm still kinda on the fence if I should grow it long or not but if I do I'll be sure to refer to your method. Thank you so much for your help.

I only use the conditioner, not the shampoo. For shampoo I use head and shoulders to wash scalp and then garnier honey infused because I like how it makes my hair feel. After that I use the conditioner. By itself the conditioner does minimal, with a blow dryer the conditioner seems to make a difference. I use another product for a heat protectant, since I sometimes will use an iron or brush straightener on hair and beard.