Chronic Telogen Effluvium - 8 Year Old Girl - Any Advice??

JulieH2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Folks
My little girl has suffered from this since aged 3 and has attended hospital and been diagnosed with various hair conditions but for the past few years this one has been officially diagnosed. As you will all know there is nothing much out there medically that can be done for this condition. She has had steroids a few times to boost her immune system as she catches everything going. We have also tried various shampoos to no avail. She's getting to the age where it is really beginning to affect her more emotionally and it is so hard watching your little girl cry and compare herself to others with more hair. Her hair doesn't grow much and has never been great, even outwith shedding, more like fluff. Is there any advice anyone can offer ie:, vitamins, foods to eat, hair accessories, anything really. We try so hard to boost her confidence but in this current world unfortunately beauty is how you look and not so much what's inside, well to little girls anyway. Thanks for any advice whatsoever.
Julie

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's crucial to consult a doctor or dermatologist to diagnose the cause of hair loss in an 8-year-old girl. Below I have shared some general information about chronic telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium):
Chronic Telogen Effluvium (Telogen Effluvium):
  • Telogen Effluvium is a temporary hair loss condition where more hair follicles than usual enter the resting (telogen) phase, leading to increased hair shedding.
  • It can affect people of all ages, though less common in children.
Possible Causes in Children:
  • While Telogen Effluvium in adults often stems from stress or hormonal changes, in children, it could be due to various factors:
    • Nutritional deficiencies (iron, vitamin D, etc.)
    • Thyroid problems
    • Certain medications
    • Underlying medical conditions like alopecia areata (patchy hair loss)
    • Scalp conditions like eczema or psoriasis
    • Stressful events (although less common in younger children)
Treatment Options:
Treatment depends on the underlying cause. Here are some possibilities:
  • Addressing any nutritional deficiencies with dietary changes or supplements.
  • Treating any underlying medical conditions like thyroid problems.
  • Stopping medications that might be contributing to hair loss (if applicable).
  • Topical medications or shampoos (in some cases).
Important Note:
  • In most cases, Telogen Effluvium is temporary, and hair will grow back within 6-12 months with proper diagnosis and treatment of the underlying cause.