Zroca's Story

zroca

Reaction score
Found this forum about 2 days ago and been reading some threads. Well heres my story I am only 19 years old and started losing my hair about a year and a half ago. All through out high school I had hair until I graduated and started working full time 6 days a week as a cook at this restraunt I worked there for a full year before I quit and thats when I started noticing my hair loss that full year at that damn job, I dont know if it could have been stress becuase I really didn't try to stress myself at the job. I would usaully use gel in my hair and spike it up then go to work for 9 straight hours infront of a grill that was 360 degrees I don't know if this might have caused my hair loss, but at the end of the day my hair would be kinda greasy from standing infront of the grill I would go home take a shower and notice my hair fall out (I know just have a buzz and use no gel). My sister works at a salon so she recommended I use nioxin shampoo so I did and I noticed a little bit more hair loss when I started using it, but than my hair loss just kind of came to a halt I've been using nioxin shampoo for about 7 months now, also I had quit my job about 3-4 months ago I started using 2% rogaine about a month ago and noticed a little bit more thickness in the back. I always have my sister check out my hair to see if she notices any more thickness. Recently reading a different thread on this board someone had mentioned to go see a derm before starting rogaine just to make sure it wasn't your diet that was cauing it. I've set up an appointment with the derm and I'm wondering if I should stop using rogaine, but I'm afraid if I do I'll go through a big shed. Just to let you guys know too that I'm just thinning out on top I dont have a receding hairline. My thining is kind of shaped like a Y on top of my head, the front middle part is also thinning out but not as much as on sides next to it (hope I'm making sense here), my right side is thinner than the left side. Would anybody on this forum tell me what my problem might be, is it my diet or my genes? My moms dad is in his 70's with a full set of hair and my dad isn't completey bald but in his 50's with patches on his head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
zroca

Cassin

Reaction score
99% chance it is normal Hairloss. I know it is hard to accept, but more than likely,that is what you are facing.

Talk do your derm about Propecia (Finasteride) and consider using that instead of Rogaine 2%. That stuff won't get you to far. You need to block DHT at this point and not be to concerned about regrowth.

Good luck.

zroca

Reaction score
What is DHT? You also said not to be concerned about regrowth so what your saying I probably wont be able to regrow any of my hair back? Should I stop using rogaine 2% completely starting today?
Thanks
zroca

Cassin

Reaction score
zroca said:
What is DHT? You also said not to be concerned about regrowth so what your saying I probably wont be able to regrow any of my hair back? Should I stop using rogaine 2% completely starting today?
Thanks
zroca

Sorry I didn't make myself very clear.

IF you have Male Pattern Baldness, DHT (as far as we know) is the main thing that causes us to go bald.

It sounds to me like you are just starting to lose hair correct?

So if you are just starting to lose hair, you should in my opinion, just pop a pill once a day and stop further loss and avoid the hassle of using Rogaine twice a day. And yes your hair can indeed come back with Rogaine 2%. If you choose the Rogaine route to fight hairloss, 5% is the better one to use as 2% isn't very strong.

Try reading this first, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/men/

zroca

Reaction score
I've been losing my hair for a little over a year now I jumped on nioxin shampoo as soon is it started which didn't seem to grow back any hair really, and I've been using rogaine 2% for about a month now which hasn't really kicked in yet. I'm going to go see the derm sometime this week and probably get on propecia, I'd rather do that than the rogaine. Once I do get on propecia should I stop using rogaine? I'm afraid that once I stop using rogaine and get on propecia I'll go through a shed and its already kind of noticable that I'm going bald the only thing thats helping me right now is that I'm 6'3 and nobody can really see that I'm going bald unless I'm sitting down or your taller than me and they see the top of my head. Once I do get on propecia will it help grow any hair that I've lost? If not, can I use a combination of both and as soon as rogaine has help me grow back some hair can I slowly leave it and let propecia keep the hair I grew with rogaine, or would this little theory not work like that? Sorry if my questions have been answered before in another thread I'm just new to this hair loss thing and the thought of having to be bald in my 20's kinda of scares me, but I know I'll be able to cope with it and not let me down, all in all if none of these treatments work I'll probably end up just shaving my head, hopefully I don't have to do that for many years to come...
Thanks
Zroca