zoloft and hair loss

Reaction score
Around 16 or 17 I started taking zoloft, and realized then is when i started to lose my hair as well....does zoloft trigger or cause male pattern baldness?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hm, it says online that it can affect sexual performance, etc, in some people, suggesting it may affect sex hormones and stuff in some way. Many medications also harm the liver.

You could also try coming off it for a bit and see if your hair recovers :)

DarkDays

Reaction score
howwedoinladies said:
Around 16 or 17 I started taking zoloft, and realized then is when i started to lose my hair as well....does zoloft trigger or cause male pattern baldness?

One of the side-effects is hair loss and this applies to many SSRI medications. SSRI meds do increase cortisol production(the stress hormone) and if you are experiencing overall thinning then maybe it might have kickstarted it. I know my thinning and receding at the time coincides with me starting SSRI meds, but that might also just be a coincident.

Reaction score
DarkDays said:
howwedoinladies said:

One of the side-effects is hair loss and this applies to many SSRI medications. SSRI meds do increase cortisol production(the stress hormone) and if you are experiencing overall thinning then maybe it might have kickstarted it. I know my thinning and receding at the time coincides with me starting SSRI meds, but that might also just be a coincident.

Mine very well might have been coincidence as well im just not sure. By overall thinning do you mean on the sides and back too or just diffuse thinning on the top of the head?

DarkDays

Reaction score
howwedoinladies said:
DarkDays said:
howwedoinladies said:

Mine very well might have been coincidence as well im just not sure. By overall thinning do you mean on the sides and back too or just diffuse thinning on the top of the head?

Should be diffuse thinning as the increased cortisol levels should affect most of the hair equally.