Zoinks! Another Shampoo Thread?!?

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I have been using nizoral religiously (awaits Tynan to make that a joke) for the past few weeks, M W F.. I have been using the nizoral, then a good shampoo, and then a good conditioner. Today, I was in a rush and only used the nizoral and the conditioner. My scalp has lightly burned all day since. So is 3 times apparantly too much for me? I would like to know, as I want to add T-Gel to my routine, and it's more aggressive, I've heard. Should I mix ther two ala-Dr. Lee and only use them twice a week?

Suggestions?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's what I do on my nizoral days 3x weekly:

1) Wash hair with Vive For Men Thickening Shampoo, rinse thoroughly (it gets all the excess topicals out so the med poos can work better. Also, my hair isn't as thin looking after the nizoral if I do it this way.)

2) Wash hair with Neutrogena T/Sal, leave on 5 min, rinse thoroughly.

3) Wash hair with nizoral (2%), leave on 5 min, rinse thoroughly.

4) Apply "in the thick of it" conditioner by Freeman liberally, leave 2-3 min, rinse.

On off days it's just Vive For Men + conditioner.

Should I mix ther two ala-Dr. Lee and only use them twice a week?

Are you sure you didn't mean T/Sal? Because that's what Dr. Lee's Regrowth Treatment Shampoo contains, not T/Gel. I recommend T/Sal over T/Gel because it exfoliates dead skin cells so your topicals penetrate better.

Once I run out of T/Sal & nizoral, I'm going to get Dr. Lee's RTS so as to save steps.

Hope this helps.

Axon

Reaction score
I use Nizoral M,W & F and use T-Gel on the off days. No problems.

drinkrum

Reaction score
T/Gel in my opinion is much less harsh than Nizoral. Nizoral dries out my hair and makes it look flat.

D.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Bone Daddy said:
Well, I have been using nizoral religiously (awaits Tynan to make that a joke) for the past few weeks, M W F.. I have been using the nizoral, then a good shampoo, and then a good conditioner.
This really is all you need to do. Once the itch is controlled, the world is your oyster. I would continue using Nizoral even in the absence of itch, but only once every 3rd day as directed. There is a tendency among us hair loss "treaters" to do things overkill. I personally still feel that medicated shampoo 5 days a week is way overkill. Nizoral does the job of controlling the dandruff with only 2 to 3 applications a week. I don't understand the purpose of using Nizoral and T-Gel ... especially in the absence of itch.

Bone said:
Today, I was in a rush and only used the nizoral and the conditioner. My scalp has lightly burned all day since. So is 3 times apparantly too much for me?
Well ... using basic logic ... have you used Nizoral this many times in one week before? Has the burn happened after? If yes and yes ... then yes 3 times is too much. If you've used it this many times before without the burn ... try it again next week and see if it happens again.

Bone said:
I would like to know, as I want to add T-Gel to my routine, and it's more aggressive, I've heard.
Why add TGel? TGel doesn't have antiandrogenic properties like Nizoral so if you have zero itch or inflammation, adding TGel isn't going to do anything except combat dandruff which you don't have in the first place, thanks to Nizoral.

HairLossTalk.com

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have an "itch" anymore, but I do use nizoral for the benefits. I considered using T-gel because I've heard many times on here that it helps out even more in the long-run when you use it on the off days. AND, it clears the "Crud" of the scalp so the nizoral can do even better. I've heard people also use H&S for the same purposes.

Like I said for about 2 weeks I've done the MWF nizoral/poo/cond thing, but not the nizoral/cond only. Maybe I'll be fine if I use the poo everytime. Now, I think the 1 time without the poo is my problem, i'll know for sure Monday.

I already have 3 poos, and don't really want another.. but if T does that good a job, I can manage it.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.

losingitquickly

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Bone Daddy said:
Why add TGel? TGel doesn't have antiandrogenic properties like Nizoral so if you have zero itch or inflammation, adding TGel isn't going to do anything except combat dandruff which you don't have in the first place, thanks to Nizoral.

HairLossTalk.com

I am confused about Nizoral having anitandogenic properties as how is it getting to the hair follicle level to combat the DHT if it is shampoo and not a leave-on serum?

G

Bone Daddy said:
I considered using T-gel because I've heard many times on here that it helps out even more in the long-run when you use it on the off days. AND, it clears the "Crud" of the scalp so the nizoral can do even better.

Dearest Mr Daddy

Don't confuse T/Sal (called T/Gel with salicylic acid in the UK) with T/Gel (with coal tar)

It is the Salicylic Acid version that will clear the "Crud" not the Coal Tar version

G

losingitquickly said:

I think bonedaddy is trying to stop his thread being derailed onto another subject !

losingitquickly
I am confused about Nizoral having anitandogenic properties as how is it getting to the hair follicle level to combat the DHT if it is shampoo and not a leave-on serum?

The question would have to be one of time as both a shampoo or a serum can be used as vechiles for getting medication onto the scalp.

If I were to add a detergent to a 'serum' would this render it useless as a vechile for carring medication into the scalp ?

If you could answer how a serum gets to the hair follicle level, I could probably answer how a shampoo does the same.

cheers

Ty

misterium

Reaction score
Think of the absorbtion of nizoral in the same way you think of the absorbtion of say, a skin lotion.

If you apply the lotion, let it sit on your skin for 2 minutes, then wash it off... lotion did get into your pores.

Same with nizoral. Let it sit, after massaging it in.. and it IS absorbing into your scalp.. thus producing the medication effect it is said to have.