Zinc + az acid

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys, got this off some forum at hairhelper.net . i know the same topics are repeated over'n over but what do you make of this. not so many people on these forums have tried zix i think. socks and a few other guys. some say it works, others call it crap. anybody get any results from ZIX ?

--------
"Abstract of Stamatiadis' 1988 study:

Br J Dermatol 1988 Nov;119(5):627-632 Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase activity in human skin by zinc and azelaic acid.

Stamatiadis D, Bulteau-Portois MC, Mowszowicz I

Laboratoire de Biochimie B, Hopital Necker-Enfants-Malades, Paris, France.

The effects of zinc sulphate and azelaic acid on 5 alpha-reductase activity in human skin were studied using an in vitro assay with 1,2[3H]-testosterone as substrate. When added at concentrations of 3 or 9 mmol/l, zinc was a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase activity. At high concentrations, zinc could completely inhibit the enzyme activity. Azelaic acid was also a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase; inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2 mmol/l and was complete at 3 mmol/l. An additive effect of the two inhibitors was observed. Vitamin B6 potentiated the inhibitory effect of zinc, but not of azelaic acid, suggesting that two different mechanisms are involved. When the three substances were added together at very low concentrations which had been shown to be ineffective alone, 90% inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase activity was obtained. If this inhibition is confirmed in vivo, zinc sulphate combined with azelaic acid could be an effective agent in the treatment of androgen related pathology of human skin.

PMID: 3207614, UI: 89087983

The reservations one might have regarding the Stamatiadis study are (1) that the study was done on rats, (2) that is was done on prostate tissue (and not on hair tissue) and (3) that it was done "in vitro" (essentially means, "not in a living organism"). Cells in living tissue generally show a considerable ability to protect themselves from invasion. Treating pure 5-AR directly with azelaic acid in a lab flask is somewhat different from exposing the living cell to azelaic acid. Nevertheless, what happens "in vitro" often reveals clues as to what might happen "in vivo" (in a living organism)."

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I think that the same holds true for ZIX and the Revivogen serum - that it works good for some - but not at all for others. Rev contains all of the ingredients listed in your study - and then some. Zix doesn't contain az.acid afaik.

I can't speak for zix - but I'm gleaning that the general Revivogen consensus is: the younger you are and the less hairloss you have - the more likely it is to help.

(But I'm always reminded of the 1 exception - that one 42 year old guy who turns his caps on and sings zix's praises).

As a starting point, if I was a NW2 (dream on) and just starting to try and fight my hairloss - I'd start on zix only and see if I got lucky.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm..i'm an nw2 at the moment...thinning on front.. diffuse but not major thinning on top and the receded temples.

Socks here mentioned that zix was more of a maintenance agent rather than for regrowth. i'm thinking of using it with minoxidil 2%.

i havent started any medication at all as yet. i hope this works. not in favour of lifelong medication at all.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
zix and minoxidil - yeah a good starting point. Good luck.

Secondary agents you might want to look into include certain shampoos like Revivogen and Nizoral which are both touted as DHT suppressents and nizoral doubles as an anti-fungal agent.

Perhaps even an occassional copper peptide spray like tricomin a few x per week.

Best of luck.