zinc arginine, five alpha reductase inhbitor---pubmed

michael barry

Reaction score
Andrologia. 1993 Nov-Dec;25(6):369-75. Related Articles, Links

Zinc arginine, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, reduces rat ventral prostate weight and DNA without affecting testicular function.

Fahim MS, Wang M, Sutcu MF, Fahim Z.

Center of Reproductive Science and Technology, University of Missouri, Columbia 65212.

Zinc has been implicated in steroid endocrinology of the prostate gland; and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is believed to express androgenic responses in the prostate. To note the effect of neutralized zinc (zinc gluconate + arginine) on the prostate, 50 sexually mature rats, weighing 325 +/- 20 g, were divided into five groups as follows: (1) control, (2) sham, (3) castrated, and injected intraprostatically with (4) 10 mg neutralized zinc, and (5) 20 mg neutralized zinc. Results indicated significant reduction (P < 0.05) of prostate weight, 5 alpha-reductase activity, and total protein and DNA concentrations in treated prostate tissue; no significant change in weight and histological structure of testes, epididymides, and seminal vesicles; and no significant effect on progeny and blood testosterone level of treated animals. These results suggest that direct application of neutralized zinc to the prostate offers a new modality for treatment of prostatitis without affecting spermatogenesis.

PMID: 8279712 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

wonder if someone could formulate this topically with an alcoholic vehicle that didn't screw it up and got it through the dermis?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe hairloss topicals don't actually NEED to get through the dermis. Maybe they get to the hair follicle directly, right down through the shaft. Or at least PART of it is from that...

liquidfirex

Reaction score
I have both zinc, and arginine right now... hmmm

Head and shoulders already has zinc in it, maybe I should toss some arginine in there too.

michael barry

Reaction score
liquid flex,

Man Im not a chemicals guy (I took two chemistry classes in college and made C's and thats because I cheated), but I think zinc arginine is a compound that has to be made as a result of a chemical reaction that puts them together. I dont know if merely "mixing" the two would do it. You could ask some of the guys who have a chemicals background if they would put the two in water and boil them or simmer them together, etc. Collegechemistrystudent, if you can get him between those dialogues he has about his unique perspective on life, women, and sex, probably would know.

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
michael barry said:
Andrologia. 1993 Nov-Dec;25(6):369-75. Related Articles, Links

Zinc arginine, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, reduces rat ventral prostate weight and DNA without affecting testicular function.

Fahim MS, Wang M, Sutcu MF, Fahim Z.

Center of Reproductive Science and Technology, University of Missouri, Columbia 65212.

Zinc has been implicated in steroid endocrinology of the prostate gland; and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is believed to express androgenic responses in the prostate. To note the effect of neutralized zinc (zinc gluconate + arginine) on the prostate, 50 sexually mature rats, weighing 325 +/- 20 g, were divided into five groups as follows: (1) control, (2) sham, (3) castrated, and injected intraprostatically with (4) 10 mg neutralized zinc, and (5) 20 mg neutralized zinc. Results indicated significant reduction (P < 0.05) of prostate weight, 5 alpha-reductase activity, and total protein and DNA concentrations in treated prostate tissue; no significant change in weight and histological structure of testes, epididymides, and seminal vesicles; and no significant effect on progeny and blood testosterone level of treated animals. These results suggest that direct application of neutralized zinc to the prostate offers a new modality for treatment of prostatitis without affecting spermatogenesis.

PMID: 8279712 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

wonder if someone could formulate this topically with an alcoholic vehicle that didn't screw it up and got it through the dermis?

This is how I understood the experiment.
They used a more high-potency of zinc called "zinc gluconate + arginine"
Zinc is normally a charged ion which means it is probably hard to absorb. However, you know that cells like sugar. So why not add some stuff that looks like sugar (glucose). Zinc gluconate is the salt form when you add these two together. Not 100% sure you need the arginine to help in absorption but I guess it helps... Zinc can do a lot of things in the body such as turning on or off proteins. I don't really like this part

"Results indicated significant reduction (P < 0.05) of prostate weight, 5 alpha-reductase activity, and total protein and DNA concentrations in treated prostate tissue;"

You don't want a reduction in total protein and [DNA]. That is just asking for side effects.

michael barry

Reaction score
Hedghog info is right. Thats probably why this was never made into a topical. I was so excited about the alpha five reductase inhibitor part, I neglected to really pay close attention to the rest of the article's particulars