Zax's Story - ( 29 / frustrated)

Zax

Reaction score
Up until about the age of 23, I had extremely thick hair, to the point that the barbers I went to always had to thin it just to be able to cut my hair.

I started noticing temple recession, and went to the dermatologist who prescribed propecia. At that point, it seemed like my hair loss went into overdrive. I went from temple recession to diffuse recession.

I also had "the itch" and noticed that my hair loss was always preceded by it. Wherever I scratched my head, it seemed to actually spread to that area, even in the so called "permanent zones". Not that this isn't male pattern baldness, as it is (while my sides & back are thinner, the usual male pattern baldness spots are extremely thin). Both sides of my family were bald, so this is only a matter of time, and I knew what was happening, but I guess I was just praying that I would be one of the lucky ones who it just happened to skip over.

Around a year ago, the dermatologist finally prescribed some topical steroids which did seem to relieve the itching, and I noticed my hair starting to get thicker, but that ran out, and about two weeks later the itching along with the hair loss returned.

It's gotten to the point where even dry, I can see my scalp. I guess I am glad that I had very thick hair earlier, or else I probably would have been a Norwood 6 or 7 by the age of 25. I guess I'm just frustrated that Propecia seemed to do nothing but make the situation worse when I was just hoping to maintain. Yes, I realize I could of probably been worse off without it, but the rapid thinning seemed to happen when I started it.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
If I was on finasteride for 8 months or a year with no good response I would try dutasteride. I have read that some research in geneotyping has showed that finasteride is better for some geneotypes while useless for others and dutasteride has positive effects on certain other genotypes if you get my drift.

Also for scalp irritation I would definitively add and alternate long soakings of Neutrogena T/Gel (coal tar) and Nizoral shampoo to my regime.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
hairrific said:
If I was on finasteride for 8 months or a year with no good response I would try dutasteride. I have read that some research in geneotyping has showed that finasteride is better for some geneotypes while useless for others and dutasteride has positive effects on certain other genotypes if you get my drift.

Also for scalp irritation I would definitively add and alternate long soakings of Neutrogena T/Gel (coal tar) and Nizoral shampoo to my regime.

I just cant understand why you would say that?

i said the least time you should try finasteride for is 1 year. I mean, hairloss is a slow slow process and finasteride is primarily a maintainer. so how can you accurately tell if you're not responding in such a short period of time? realistically 2 years plus is best if you actually think about it

this is excluding the extreme exception where a person has sides or just has brutal sheds of course but its hardly as if you would recommend such people to try dutasteride is it?

My advice is use finasteride for a substantial period of time in hope to notice a gradual positive impact

Zax

Reaction score
The thing is, I've been on propecia for about 5 1/2 years, and my hair's gone from starting to notice balding to how can I combover while hoping there's no wind when I go outside. It's never gotten thicker, infact, it was when I started procpecia that the shedding started to happen rapidly. I've tried T-Gel and Nizoral for over a year each, and neither of them helped in the situation. About the only time the hair loss stopped and started to thicken was when I used topical steroids to help calm down the itching and inflammation.

I guess I'm also just sick of going to the dermatologist, and them acting completely disinterested. Starting to bald? Propecia and/or minoxodil. No bother to check any other symptoms to see if anything is accelerating the hair loss. Like I said, I know it's male pattern baldness, but just wondering if there's anything I can do to slow down the inevitable.