Youthcrew's Story

youthcrew

Reaction score
I have been reading (lurking) this site for maybe 8 or 10 months now. I figured I would share. About a year ago I went to a derm and asked him about about my hair loss problem. And at the time not knowing anything really about hair transplants and so on. He referred me to Dr. Ivan Cohen, who happens to be in the same state I live in, CT. Here is his website http://www.dricohen.com/. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about him!?

So booked an appointment and went down to see him. Pretty much got a lesson in everything having to do with hair. And discussed my options. Like a lot of people I waited longer than I should have to seek help. But I can't go back in time...so whatever. He suggested that I get on Propecia ASAP. I didn't right away only due to financial aspect at the time. I have not been on it for 6 months. 1mg a day.

I'm going back to see him again in a week in a half to talk over a transplant. Last year when I was there he did give me a quote but I can't honestly remember it. Or the amount of grafs either.

Here are two pictures I took. The first one when my hair is dry. The second when it is wet. I messed my hair up a bit in the wet one, so you can tell where the real loss is.

Thanks

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

jeffsss

Reaction score
Your hair doesnt look bad dry.

have you ever considered buzzing your hair short? when i first discovered hair loss i freaked out and went to see a hair transplant Doctor..

what i've decided to do is just accept my hair loss.. maybe when HM comes out then i'll think about that.. but i'm not going to have nasty scars on the back of my head.

youthcrew

Reaction score
jeffsss said:

have you ever considered buzzing your hair short? when i first discovered hair loss i freaked out and went to see a hair transplant Doctor..

what i've decided to do is just accept my hair loss.. maybe when HM comes out then i'll think about that.. but i'm not going to have nasty scars on the back of my head.

Well i have accepted that i have a hair loss problem and if i don't do anything, i will be bald. Just like my moms father was.

If i buzz my hair short (which i have done) i look bald. If i keep it on the longer side i look like a guy who is going bald and trying to cover it up with very thin hair. Either way in my eyes i don't like it. Sooo that's why i am on this board. To read / learn about other peoples stories an get support.

jeffsss

Reaction score
youthcrew said:
jeffsss said:

Well i have accepted that i have a hair loss problem and if i don't do anything, i will be bald. Just like my moms father was.

If i buzz my hair short (which i have done) i look bald. If i keep it on the longer side i look like a guy who is going bald and trying to cover it up with very thin hair. Either way in my eyes i don't like it. Sooo that's why i am on this board. To read / learn about other peoples stories an get support.

well you have my support man!! good luck.

there is a section of this forum just for Hair transplants.. good luck with your venture!

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I rekon keep going with the Propecia for another 6-12 months and then judge from there.

Getting a transplant is tricky as you will fill in the front but the hairs at the back will keep falling out and you'll end up with an unnatural looking hairline.

youthcrew

Reaction score
hellohello said:
I rekon keep going with the Propecia for another 6-12 months and then judge from there.

Getting a transplant is tricky as you will fill in the front but the hairs at the back will keep falling out and you'll end up with an unnatural looking hairline.

I see what you are saying. I just don't want to spend years waiting and hoping my hair will grow back just from propecia. I don't plan to stop taking it, even if i get a transplant. And like everyone else i will hope that in the future there will be new and better drugs for our problem.

thanks!

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you interested in trying Minoxidil instead of jumping straight into a hair transplant? The stronger formulas can probably regrow alot of your hair while you are on propecia.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I definitely see a lot of regrowth potential for you by just using medications... however, a transplant would definitely be an easier way of restoring everything you had.

Goodluck :)

Britannia

Reaction score
I think a transplant is something you should avoid at this stage. I think you are an excellent candidate for Propecia + Minoxidil + Nizoral treatment. After trying these 3 treatments (called the big 3) for 12 months then decide whether or not a transplant is what you need. Your hair doesnt look bad at all. You certainely have enough for a good cosmetic effect. I think using a thickening shampoo such as Jason's thin to thick or American Crew Thickening shampoo + conditioner would improve your hair considerably and quickly.
Anyway good luck whatever you choose.

youthcrew

Reaction score
askas said:
How old are you?I guess early 20s.You will be 30,40,50...dont hurry,the time will come,and you maybe will regret about your hurry.Wait until 30 and then see how your hair looks.Donor hair is not unlimited...

I'm 26.
I have been pretty unhappy for the past couple years with my hairloss. Sure i can wait and continue to be bummed eveytime i look in the mirror. Or i can do something about it now, and not have it consume all my thoughts everyday.
I see everyones point of view though.

jeffsss

Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you what to do.. but.....

You need to tan.. get buff and buzz your hair shorter.

yes, it'll change your apperance.. but it's the best thing for us thinners..

I was REAL reluctant to cut my hair short.. but ya gotta do it man.

youthcrew

Reaction score
jeffsss said:

Dude...

This is the first time in years that i have grown my hair out. I have kept it short forever b/c I was losing it.
Also I go to the gym and work out and eat very healthy.
A Tan? I live in the northeast, and it's not summer right now. ha

I appricate the advice from everyone. I am not 100% sure what i am going to do just yet. But i am in the position where i can afford to have a hair transplant. So...

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
youthcrew said:
I have been pretty unhappy for the past couple years with my hairloss. Sure i can wait and continue to be bummed eveytime i look in the mirror. Or i can do something about it now, and not have it consume all my thoughts everyday.

I can certainly understand that, but if you give the Propecia a year to work, you'll have a better idea of what you'll ultimately be dealing with. You might be perfectly happy with the regrowth you get. If not, you can always elect for surgery then?

Still, I understand your impatience. I know it sucks to be miserable while waiting. I just keep reminding myself that with taking Propecia, I'm getting *better*... it's not going to get worse anymore. Aside from possible initial shedding, etc.

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Most legitimate surgerons won't even think about touching your norwood unless you are on finasteride for at least 1 year with no results. If they do, they are most likely not any good anyway and just need to make a quick buck.

At the very least, they will STRONGLY advise to stay on the meds and see where that takes you. Especially at your young age.

jeffsss

Reaction score
youthcrew said:
jeffsss said:

Dude...

This is the first time in years that i have grown my hair out. I have kept it short forever b/c I was losing it.

I appricate the advice from everyone. I am not 100% sure what i am going to do just yet. But i am in the position where i can afford to have a hair transplant. So...

well why did you grow it out?
that's good that you eat healthy and go to the gym.
Tan? go to a tanning salon.. it's not just for chicks.. for real.

I would NOT get a hair transplant.. you'll never ever have the hair you had when you were a teenager.

what i'm plannig on doing, and i think everyeon who is considering a transplant should do.. is stick to meds... cut your hair short.. and hope and pray that hair multiplication comes out sometime in the next 5 or so years!

youthcrew

Reaction score
bgred90 said:
Was your hair like this at 24-25 yo?

Yes... i have gone back looked at pictures of my last year in highschool and notice that it was a little thin in the front. Back then i didn't think twice about it.
A couple years later i guess it really hit me. But I guess it didnt bother me enough or i would have explored help. Now up to the present time I am where i am. I should have gone on propecia like 3 years or so ago. I guess it didnt seem that bad at that point to me. That was a mistake, but i am over it so i am just looking for what i can do now. :)

youthcrew

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
youthcrew said:
jeffsss said:

Dude...

well why did you grow it out?
that's good that you eat healthy and go to the gym.
Tan? go to a tanning salon.. it's not just for chicks.. for real.

I would NOT get a hair transplant.. you'll never ever have the hair you had when you were a teenager.

what i'm plannig on doing, and i think everyeon who is considering a transplant should do.. is stick to meds... cut your hair short.. and hope and pray that hair multiplication comes out sometime in the next 5 or so years!

I grew it out to see what it would look like since it had been so long. Also since i am seeing a hair transplant doctor next week i thought growing it out would be a good idea so he can see what it's like.

I know i will never have hair like i did when i was a teen. But i can replace what is gone now. Get a hairline back and feel better about myself.

What is hair multiplication??

thanks