Your thoughts on wearing a WIG... Is it enough to satisfy your hair loss situation?

LouieRanks

Reaction score
Lets say a cure for hair loss was hopeless, but there was a new wig that looked completely natural, felt comfortable and could stay secured on your head. Would that be enough for you? Why or why not...?

flewsmcgee

Reaction score
I will NEVER consider a wig ever. Partially because I look decent with a shaved head, but most importantly because it would make me feel more self conscious if anything.

Anonymous99

Established Member
Reaction score
No! You would always have the idea in your head that it is not natural and at the end of the day before you get into your bed, you can take it off leaving you feeling fake, unnatural and hopeless, knowing that the next day you're going to put the wig back Pn. Whereas using treatments it's not entirely the same, you're consuming/applying drugs which can actually stimulate the growth on your HEAD

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Some users have great success with wigs. They can not only feel natural but stay securely on your head for a week without maintenance (other than shampooing). There are some limitations and it's certainly not for everyone but it's worth getting educated about them.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
For sure, it's pretty much the end-game of hair loss, the one where you almost give up entirely due to many factors such as having had a botched transplant yet still want to do something about your appearance. It'll never replace your hair and the cost and maintenance will drive many people away. However, if it can help even one person out of a hundred, it's still worth talking about.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a good portion of the dissatisfaction from wearing a hair piece could have been prevented if people had been better educated. The fact is, there is a dearth of information about wearing one and some guys will just take the plunge and hope for the best, only to be cruelly disappointed. For instance, thanks to users Noah and Grincher, I know a hair piece is probably not for me. However, I'm glad I know about it so I can make an informed choice.

Just like with minoxidil and finasteride, or pretty much any kind of elective treatment or surgery, some people choose not to use them but they should do so only after having been adequately informed.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As probably one of the very few people here who actually use a wig on occasion, I love it. I feel 1000 times more confident with it on. Most of the guys here who say negative things about them have never actually seriously considered using one, much less taken any steps towards figuring it out. Ironically they are also often the ones to be the most dismissive of them as well (pro tip: it's a pride issue). They have their downsides, but if you have no other choice it's way better than just walking around with a NW4+ and pretending like nothing is wrong.

shookwun

Reaction score
The perception of having a full head of hair is what people will recognize, and respect you by, and that's the identity you've became to learn, and love.

My father wore one for twenty years, best decision he ever made was to get rid of it he said. Literally a slave to a hair piece as he would recall.

Uncles on other hand are a slave to horrible hair peices, but that's the brand, and identity they have given themselves from 25+ years of wearing. It would be extremely hard, and painful to just throw the wig out and show up to work, social circles and everything you do as a bald man from a full head.

At least with balding you gradually adjust to yourself and the people around you. Hair pieces on other hand are a one way street up, and down to the pit once it comes off.

these are my observations.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Louie

I wear one, so the answer for me is yes. It is a partial wig which just covers my bald/thinning front and top, and blends in which my real hair at the sides and back. In the 60's and 70's it would have been called a toupee. Nowadays people say hair system. That is the product which guys with male pattern baldness normally choose?

They are not for everyone, but I feel that any guy who is seriously bothered by hairloss should at least give them consideration. There is tremendous undeserved negativity about them, mostly based on out-of-date information. The factors you mention - natural look, comfortable and secure are already readily available. They are also cheap, painless, instant and reversible if you don't like it. Hair prosthetics has come a huge way in the last 10 years, so unless you have done a lot of research, what you know about men's hairpieces is probably out-of-date. Quite a few famous people wear them successfully, like Enrique Iglesias, Ben Affleck and Brendan Fraser.

The downsides are that they are false - not your real growing hair - and at some point you will likely have to tell partners and maybe others such as doctors that you are wearing one, which is a bit embarrassing (although not as bad as many people seem to think). There are also a few activities which you probably wouldn't want to do while wearing a piece, such as rugby or wrestling without head protection. There are a few more which you would only want to do if you had a chance to prepare by using special adhesives for the piece, such as scuba diving or water skiing.

As against those downsides you get a good-looking head of hair guaranteed with no side effects. You have to weigh that up against the other options - shaving (definitely the best if you can stomach it), drugs (debatable results and possible serious side effects) and transplants (pain, expense, usually mediocre looking results, occasional disasters, still have to take the drugs). For some people, like me (no results from drugs, too bald for plugs) it is the only alternative to baldness.

If you are genuinely interested and want to know more, have a read of the systems forum or PM me.

Noah