You Gotta Have Guts To Use Rogaine

hurricom

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys do it, but I sure can't. In the immortal words of Kosmo Kramer: "I'm out Jerry. I'm out." I used Rogaine for 10 days and my hairline practically disappeared. And please, no "it's just male pattern baldness." My hairline had been gradually thinning for the last five years at a very slow rate. Yet, after using Rogaine for ten days, my hairline went from thinning to almost gone. And coincidentally, the area that disappeared was the exact area where I applied the foam. I'm sure it's just shedding, but really, isn't this simply semantics? Isn't "shedding" a nice word for hair loss? Some of you may have the guts to watch your hair disappear in hopes that it may return, but I can't, especially when you're talking about a product that has a 30% success rate. This is madness! I'm going to my Doctor tomorrow and getting Propecia. At least then, if my hair gets thinner, I'm at least dealing with a product that has a 80% success rate. Sorry guys. I tried. I really did.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, isn't it, that out of all the topical minoxidil studies I've read (at least a dozen), not a single one ever said anything about sudden loss like that?

Bryan

hurricom

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised at how much hair I lost after only ten days. I had read the forums, so I anticipated shedding, but I never expected to lose that much so quickly.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but since u almost got nothing left, why stop now? It can only get better. Right?

edit: I been using it for about 5 weeks and my hair has indeed thinned on the left temple more than the right. They said "shedding" is a good sign that you are responding.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lain said:
Sorry to hear that, but since u almost got nothing left, why stop now? It can only get better. Right?

edit: I been using it for about 5 weeks and my hair has indeed thinned on the left temple more than the right. They said "shedding" is a good sign that you are responding.

not always true

were you using foam rogaine or the liquid version?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sames happened to me...Bald for Christmas...depressing

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
just speculation, perhaps those hair were on their last legs and the minoxidil activated them from rest. probably not coming back till you get back on the foam. Btw the foam has regrown hair in 85% after 16 weeks not 30%.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Or perhaps, watching your hairline closely 2 times a day made you realise the level of your reccesion and thinning. It did happened to me, but then i looked at some pictures, 3 months ago and i realized it was preety much the same.
And yes minoxidil grew new hair in 85% of new people, but in none did it cause sudden loss.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
10 days to determine the effectiveness of a hairloss treatment sounds perfectly normal to me.

hurricom

Reaction score
I think it's quite reasonable, considering the product is supposed to stop hair loss not initiate it.

beaner

Reaction score
hurricom said:
I think it's quite reasonable, considering the product is supposed to stop hair loss not initiate it.

It's quite normal for minoxidil to initiate a shed, it's part of the way it works. It causes hair already in the telogen phase to shed early. The hair you lost would have been lost some time in the next 90 days anyway. These hairs will almost undoubtedly regrow stronger and thicker. I had a horrifying minoxidil induced shed last year at this time caused by a dosage increase. It all came back within a few months. You should seriously reconsider restarting minoxidil or the hair you lost just may not come back. BTW...where did you get that 30% figure? The website clearly indicates 85% experienced regrowth with the foam.

hurricom

Reaction score
Wouldn't I be fine just using Nizoral, since many people have indicated that it has similar results to Rogaine?

hurricom

Reaction score
So all the hair you lost as a result of using Minoxidil came back AND thicker? Or did it just come back?

beaner

Reaction score
hurricom said:
Wouldn't I be fine just using Nizoral, since many people have indicated that it has similar results to Rogaine?

I would have to say I don't know for sure. Nizoral was shown in one study that I've seen to have results similar to 2% minoxidil. I personally don't put too much faith in that actually occuring in most users. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

beaner

Reaction score
hurricom said:
So all the hair you lost as a result of using Minoxidil came back AND thicker? Or did it just come back?

It came back thicker in spots, the same in others, but it did indeed all come back.

beaner

Reaction score
hurricom said:
The 2% Minoxidil has been shown to stimulate hair growth in about 30% of male patients and a slightly higher rate in females. The 5% solution has a slightly higher response rate.

Source: http://www.askdocweb.com/minoxidil.html

Well, that's the 2% solution you're referring to. The 5% solution has a higher success rate (not sure of the figure...55% or something...Bryan?) The foam has an 85% success rate according to the website. I personally started using the foam 2 months ago and I've been seeing faster regrowth on my crown.

Just to tell you a bit about my minoxidil experience. I started using it in June 2002 as a sole treatment. By itself it brought my temples from a NW3-4 to a Norwood 2 and shrunk a slick bald spot. It basically kept my hair from appearing any worse and somewhat better in spots for 4 years. I added finasteride this April and it gave new life to the minoxidil. I've regrown an incredible amount of hair in the last 8 months. I'm 37 now and my hair is probably the same as it was when I was 28/29....maybe not quite as dense on top, but the hairline is just about the same and everything is still coming in.....I have good vellus growth all along the hair line and temple area from about when I was 25.