wow, had a good day of NOT shedding.

jeffsss

Reaction score
for the past couple months I've been shedding pretty nasty in the shower. like 30+ hairs.

over the past month I've been really gentle with my hair (im sure we all are :p )

so today i get up and i dread getting in the shower to see how much hair i'm going to lose today.

ends up only being like 10 hairs! then I get out, pat down my head with a towel and comb it and only like 5 hairs!

I know.. that's still more than i should be losing, but I hope it's a start of good things to come.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Indeed. You should be losing 0 hairs daily like the rest of the planet. :roll:

jeffsss

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Indeed. You should be losing 0 hairs daily like the rest of the planet. :roll:

hmm. I don't understand why you'd be sarcastic.

My usual days of 30 or more hairs coming out of my head durring a wash is a bit excessive if you ask me.

it's not like i was pulling on my hair. just gently lathering it up and washing it out and I'd have hair stuck to my hand like I was a golden retreiver.

oh, and i think the 100-150 hairs that people supposivly lose each day is BS. It's something that Dr.'s say just so you wont worry as much.

go ask a man with a full head of hair to wash his hair to see if any come out. I doubt he'd get more than 5 even if he scrubbed hard.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I am sarcastic because your freaking out after losing 30 hairs even 100 hairs per day is outrageous.

I don't mean to be offensive here, but you really should do some serious reading on the hair cycle and not speculating on how many hairs the non balding people lose daily.

You have about 100.000 follicles on your scalp as we speak. 10% should be dormant if you werent balding. This is normal and it's the way it should be. 10% of 100.000 follicles is 10.000 folicles. 10.000 follicles that had to shed and rest for 3 months=100 days. And that happens gradually of course. So shedding 100 hairs and a bit more(as new hairs are simultaneously sprouting) daily during those 3 months, or any 3 months is completely normal.

Stop freaking out about 30 hairs on the drain.

I am starting to feel really awesome that I am losing 400 per day on average during the last week after starting on treatments while being really calm.

I must be a very cool guy.

SE-freak

Reaction score
(Btw, being gentle has nothing to do with the number of hairs that enter the telogen phase. One could bald a whole life while sitting on a chair and not touching his hair and have a full head of hair. A full head till the first breeze)

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
You definately appear to loose most of those daily lost hairs in the shower. The water, lather and what not cause them to get tugged out and stick to your hands. I find that even if I comb my hair over the sink before showering I still "loose" more hairs in the shower. It just adds to the paranoia, but it is completely normal and nothing to freak out over.

I was loosing close to 100 every shower back in the beginning. It sucked but now I atleast think I am shedding far less each day. I still get 20+ hairs on my hands while lathering up and I am at peace with that. Seriously calm down about it because it is neither a good or a bad sign, it is completely normal.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
whether someone sheds a lot of hair depends on what they normally lose. If you normally lose 5 hairs when you shower, then i agree that losing 30 is a lot. that may still be a lot less than someone who regularly loses 50 hairs in the shower, but that person has a different hair cycle than you.

and losing 50-100 hairs a day is not the "normal range" for everyone. That is the range doctors based off of someone with a completely full head hair. It stands to reason that the less hair you have, the less hair it is normal to lose. people should stop deluding themselves into thinking their hairloss is normal because it fits into that range. rather, they should be comparing what they are losing now to what is normal for them.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jumpedthegun said:
...people should stop deluding themselves into thinking their hairloss is normal because it fits into that range. rather, they should be comparing what they are losing now to what is normal for them.

100% agree

SE-freak

Reaction score
jumpedthegun said:
It stands to reason that the less hair you have, the less hair it is normal to lose.

Follicles do not just vanish. If you have less than a full head then some follicles are damaged and short cycling by default. The term "normal range" for a balding scalp is inapplicable.

Unless you are a NW2000 though, you are definately short cycling, so you are shedding much more hair than a full healthy head. In that sense, the 50-100 hairs per day is a useful reference to the severity of damage.

I will agree that one would have a personal default range of daily loss if he wasn't going bald which could be less than 100 hairs daily. But the basic criteria is scalp image. People tend to see more scalp and THEN start noticing 30 hairs on their hand while showering and freak out.

Do not expect to shed nothing to be happy.