Would Finasteride maintain minoxidil newly grown hairs?

abdo123

Reaction score
1- On Finasteride for a long time

2- slow consistent discontinuation plan (from once daily to 3 times a week -> twice a week -> once a week -> twice a month .etc)

3- also using Nizoral

(the reasons why i want to discontinue it that i have enough hair in my head atm and i just want to maintain it. applying minoxidil is kinda troublesome)

opinions ? experiences ?

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
buddy your gonna have to be on all these meds for life to maintain the new hair. once you start weaning off finasteride, and the dht in your scalp begins to rise again, it will cause your new hairs and prior hairs to miniaturize, and eventually fall out. so to keep what you have, apply the minoxidil (its not troublesome at all...think to yourself, how bad do you want to keep your hair? ) and the finasteride EOD.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're just interested in maintaining then stick to finasteride.

abdo123

Reaction score
then your gonna lose all the regrowth from the minoxidil in a matter of months. those hairs are minoxidil dependent.

can you back this with sources cause if there is no DHT it doesn't make sense for the hairs to fall

Take It Parise

Reaction score
Minoxidil has its own pathway of growing hair: It widens blood vessels and opens potassium channels, allowing more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle.

Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is the main culprit in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Think about it this way: You have a bucket with a whole in it. The hole (DHT) is causing water to come out (hair loss), you can pour water in it from a tap (minoxidil) and it'll give you an off-set of water, but if you don't plug the whole (inhibit DHT), water will keep pouring out and the hole may get bigger and eventually it won't matter how much water you pour in, it'll all be lost because you're not tackling the route cause.

abdo123

Reaction score
Minoxidil has its own pathway of growing hair: It widens blood vessels and opens potassium channels, allowing more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle.

Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is the main culprit in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Think about it this way: You have a bucket with a whole in it. The hole (DHT) is causing water to come out (hair loss), you can pour water in it from a tap (minoxidil) and it'll give you an off-set of water, but if you don't plug the whole (inhibit DHT), water will keep pouring out and the hole may get bigger and eventually it won't matter how much water you pour in, it'll all be lost because you're not tackling the route cause.

so i can discontinue minoxidil :p since i have plugged the hole with Finasteride

that's exactly my question ... please be precise

Take It Parise

Reaction score
lol sorry, perhaps not the best analogy. To answer your question, No, finasteride won't keep minxo-grown hairs. The point I was trying to make was that minoxidil has its own way of growing hair. If it grows hair for you and you stop using it, that hair no longer has minoxidil to support it and it will fall out after a few months because you're essentially cutting off its power supply.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you were able to keep minoxidil hairs after starting finasteride or while on finasteride, nobody would still have it in their regime after they got the regrowth they wanted.

minoxidil hairs are dependent on minoxidil.