Worth a last stand?

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit Propecia about 5 months ago as I didn't think it was helping to even maintain my hair. I gave up on Rogaine foam too at the same time after 6 months use for the same reason. Since then I've been using no treatments.

It's been hard to come to terms with the fact that the 2 main treatments don't do anything for me. Is it worth trying 0.5mg of dutasteride EOD perhaps?

Would another topical regimen be helpful? Revivogen is out as I'm not convinced of it's effectiveness and topical spironolactone seems too messy. I guess that just leaves a minoxidil with added properties?

I'd be interested in your views on whether it's worth a last stand. I'm now a 38yo NW4 btw.

BulletFrost

Reaction score
Maelstrom said:
I'd be interested in your views on whether it's worth a last stand. I'm now a 38yo NW4 btw.

I can never understand why men in their late 30's and 40's care that they're losing their hair. You've probably had a nice head of hair longer than most other men, so perhaps it's time to just bald gracefully.

You tried your best with the medications that modern medicine has to offer, and unless you get a hair transplant or a permanent treatment comes out, you'll just have to live with it. Getting old sucks. Just be glad you're not like the 17-20 year olds that are losing their hair.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
BulletFrost said:
Maelstrom said:

I can never understand why men in their late 30's and 40's care that they're losing their hair. You've probably had a nice head of hair longer than most other men, so perhaps it's time to just bald gracefully.

You tried your best with the medications that modern medicine has to offer, and unless you get a hair transplant or a permanent treatment comes out, you'll just have to live with it. Getting old sucks. Just be glad you're not like the 17-20 year olds that are losing their hair.

I can't see what you're adding to debate here.

Have you any useful advice for this guy or not?

I'm going to suggest unless you have something useful to add STFU

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Maelstrom said:
I quit Propecia about 5 months ago as I didn't think it was helping to even maintain my hair. I gave up on Rogaine foam too at the same time after 6 months use for the same reason. Since then I've been using no treatments.

It's been hard to come to terms with the fact that the 2 main treatments don't do anything for me. Is it worth trying 0.5mg of dutasteride EOD perhaps?

Would another topical regimen be helpful? Revivogen is out as I'm not convinced of it's effectiveness and topical spironolactone seems too messy. I guess that just leaves a minoxidil with added properties?

You can't be sure it wasn't doing anything, because it could have been slowing things down etc, if you get what i mean there's only a sample size of one (you) so you can't do a blind study.

The chances are if people use rogaine and finasteride then even if they don't think they're being helped, they'd probably be in a better position if they'd have never tried at all.

You perhaps need to give propecia more of a chance, or start taking it again if you don't feel the sides and add some ru to a minoxidil mix, the odds are you will get a result.

BulletFrost

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
BulletFrost said:
Maelstrom said:

I can't see what you're adding to debate here.

Have you any useful advice for this guy or not?

I'm going to suggest unless you have something useful to add STFU

What?

I think you need to re-read the second last sentence in the OP. He asked us whether or not it's worth continuing treatment. I told him at his age he should get over it, and I honestly believe at his age baldness is fine. You had no real reason to call me out, so please do us all a favour and go f*** yourself. Not everyone needs to spend a fortune on possibly dangerous drugs, especially if you're not getting any noticeable results.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
If your post was purely in his interest how come half of it sounded like an opinion piece e.g " I can't understand why men ...", you tackled the emotional aspect and societies response to balding rather than the mechanics, therefore although my response might have sounded harsh, i stand by it minus the f word.

How old are you?

Did you know the official line on propecia is to give it a year?

Apart from RU did you disagree with any of my advice?

<<edit>>

It is possible you completely read the question differently to me, i read it to mean from a biological point of view can he do anything.

btw captain 10 posts unless you have multiple personalities it's 'please do *me* a favour and fuckoff', not 'please do *us all* a favour and fuckoff'.

and please please don't ever get a job with the samaritans

(sorry dude you're probably a decent person deep down)

Desperate Caller : I have nothing to live for, my wifes divorcing me after twenty good years

Bulletfrost : How old are you?

Desperate Caller : 45

Bulletfrost : Well you had a decent run, not much i can do. Sorry pal, if you need help choosing a gun ....

BulletFrost

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
If your post was purely in his interest how come half of it sounded like an opinion piece e.g " I can't understand why men ...", you tackled the emotional aspect and societies response to balding rather than the mechanics, therefore although my response might have sounded harsh, i stand by it minus the f word.

How old are you?

Did you know the official line on propecia is to give it a year?

Apart from RU did you disagree with any of my advice?

<<edit>>

It is possible you completely read the question differently to me, i read it to mean from a biological point of view can he do anything.

btw captain 10 posts unless you have multiple personalities it's 'please do *me* a favour and fuckoff', not 'please do *us all* a favour and fuckoff'.

and please please don't ever get a job with the samaritans

Desperate Caller : I have nothing to live for, my wifes divorcing me after twenty good years

Bulletproof : How old are you?

Desperate Caller : 45

Bulletproof : Well you had a decent run, not much i can do. Sorry pal, if you need help choosing a gun ....

Your edit made me facepalm....

First question: He asked, I answered. To me it sounded like he wanted peoples opinion on what they would do if the treatments were not working well enough.

Second: I'm now 19. Why does my age matter to you?

Third: Yes I did. It's to my understanding that most people see some noticeable results and he said he was on it for over a year. Not sure how you overlooked that.

fourth: I disagree with all of it. Obviously my first posts made that clear.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who think you need to f*** off when you tell people to "STFU" for merely offering a different opinion. Yeah, some people don't mind going bald when they have BIGGER problems to tackle at his age. I'd be more worried about my health and the diseases that Propecia hides, but that's just me. And yes, I don't post often. I don't see how that has to do with anything, especially the OP's question.

You might want to go see a psychiatrist if you think committing suicide over a divorce is anyway similar to accepting baldness...

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
First question: He asked, I answered. To me it sounded like he wanted peoples opinion on what they would do if the treatments were not working well enough.

The first question was "Is it worth trying 0.5mg of dutasteride EOD perhaps?"

I could be wrong but i think he meant, could that possibly work?

Second: I'm now 19. Why does my age matter to you?

It should matter to everybody reading this post only because it puts into context your response, you'll still want hair at 38 believe me, hairloss sucks at all ages, it will suck more at the age of 19 and you can tolerate it a bit more with age as you see it becoming more common around your peers. I ask so that people understand where you coming from.

Third: Yes I did. It's to my understanding that most people see some noticeable results and he said he was on it for over a year. Not sure how you overlooked that.

Curse you, young one i scan read and missed that post, (in my defence it was in a seperate post

fourth: I disagree with all of it. Obviously my first posts made that clear.

Fair enough, you think the guy should give up.

I don't, despite your assertion that he's tried the best that the medical community has to offer you are way way off the mark on that one. There's RU, CB0301etc, ASC J 9, Prostaglandins should one be inclined to experiment, I know they're not 'approved' by the FDA but they are option, and some of them are effective.

I'll ignore everything else because in fairness i was the first one to be rude. I still disagree with you but i shouldn't have said STFU, i realise you were trying to offer heartfelt advice.

BulletFrost

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
I don't, despite your assertion that he's tried the best that the medical community has to offer you are way way off the mark on that one. There's RU, CB0301etc, ASC J 9, Prostaglandins should one be inclined to experiment, I know they're not 'approved' by the FDA but they are option, and some of them are effective.

That's the worst advice I've ever read on this site. Please don't ever use those, OP. Or you can say goodbye to your dick.

I'll ignore everything else because in fairness i was the first one to be rude. I still disagree with you but i shouldn't have said STFU, i realise you were trying to offer heartfelt advice.

Fair enough.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
BulletFrost said:
sir chugalot said:

That's the worst advice I've ever read on this site. Please don't ever use those, OP. Or you can say goodbye to your dick.

That would be a good point if it wasn't for the fact it's completely innaccurate

If that's the worst advice you've ever read on this site then i don't think you've done much reading and you're being quite dismissive of a lot of good good posters.

I can't see how prostaglandins (or rather their analogs) could damage libido when applied topically, could you please explain the mechanism? I'll give you a helping hand your keyword is bimatoprost.

You've now gome on record as saying using CB 03 01 can damage libido, could you please explain the mechanism?

There's a 200 page thread on RU it might be worth you reading it, some people suffer side effects if they use too much but then the does can be tailored.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63049

Not sure about ASC J-9 but it's progressing well in studies and the makers are still going ahead with a cream (for acne) happy with it's side effects profile, being a topical it's likely to have a much better side effects profile than anything taken orally.

The dutch went a bit mad for it

http://www.haarweb.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=14841

I've not read all of this, caveat emptor.

I'd suggest the OP do further reading on these treatments (and their side effect profiles), and maybe anybody else who want's to broaden their knowledge (hint hint).

RSR38

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there little BulletFrost, I am gonna be 40 in November and I sure am glad I don't listen to little pin heads like you. I started treatments as a diffuse thinner in the NW6 pattern, as my hair had basically evaporated in my late 30's. 18 months of treatments later and I have more hair than many people my age.

You will realize that male pattern baldness matters at any age and it is always worth a shot at fixing it.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
RSR38 said:
You will realize that male pattern baldness matters at any age and it is always worth a shot at fixing it.

Hell yeah :punk:

I probably wouldn't have said it in a drastic way like the posters before me but I totally agree. Your age matters a whole lot. You first need to grow up before you say something like that. You think this forum should be exclusively for 19 year-olds like you and all the people over 30 should just go bald and shut up?
That is so f*cking ridiculous.

Life continues, believe it or not. Losing hair matters to people twice your age and older. You know you still enjoy life after you hit 30. You still have sex, probably even better sex than with 19. At least it lasts longer :woot: You still can do all the things you enjoy to do.

Sorry this post was a little off topic. But - go for it! Give it another try!

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
Bulletfrost - I appreciate where you're coming from and it is tempting to just say f*** it and buzz it all down. Trouble is I have complications like scalp psoriasis plus I don't have a face suited to baldness. So if something else can be done I'm interested in trying it. As Sir Chugalot rightly says - you don't stop caring about these things just because you reach a certain age.

I guess I thought some dutasteride users would chip in with some feedback as that seems the next logical step. I'm not prepared for the expense and hassle of RU or the other experimental stuff. I know my options are limted unfortunately :(

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
think you've all gone ott on bulletfrost here, his first post is sensible enough.

having confidence in yourself should be taken for granted by your late 30's, you might want to look your best but you should also be comfortable enough to know that you've nothing to prove to people in how you present yourself, hair or no hair.

hairloss in your early 20's is in a whole different league with regards to daily challenges.

an over 35's section would be interesting

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
think you've all gone ott on bulletfrost here, his first post is sensible enough.

having confidence in yourself should be taken for granted by your late 30's, you might want to look your best but you should also be comfortable enough to know that you've nothing to prove to people in how you present yourself, hair or no hair.

Part of it might depend upon which circles you live your life.

I'm 36 now, when i found out i was losing a bit of hair at 26 i made one of those deals that people make with the cosmos, you might know the kind you promise yourself "If i could just have five more years I'll be happy", then guess what happened at 31?

I'm not going to pretend the prospect of losing hair at the age of 36 is anywhere near as bad as at 26 and so by extension i can guess 19-20 would have been terrifying for me, sure i'd have pulled through but it would have sucked, then there's more of a feeling that f**k you're going to be the one that stands out amongst your peers, you're going to be the bald one! You'd might as well have a third arm.

But that's not to say it doesn't matter, BF was coming at the situation with a complete lack of empathy, and for that i bit his head off (sorry bf), it still does matter though, imagine you'd been through a messy divorce or something like that and you were still on the market wanting to pull the ladies I'm not sure where my confidence would be, and just because we think people should display idealistic behaviours it doesn't mean that it's natural to. A lot of bald people i know aren't anywhere near as confident as they should be, so I put ideals aside and wish that they would get their hair back, and yes it is possible.

The original question posed was about the biology / mechanics of getting your hair back.

I'd welcome a forum for the over 35's as much as i'd welcome the carousel from Logans run.

btw my first posts were after 8 pints, chugalot by name ....

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Maelstrom said:
I guess I thought some dutasteride users would chip in with some feedback as that seems the next logical step. I'm not prepared for the expense and hassle of RU or the other experimental stuff. I know my options are limted unfortunately :(
I might not be a good example but I'll share my story. Was on finasteride for 3 years then switched to dutasteride last year. Started with 3 times a week for 2-3 months then once a week. My hair started thinning/shedding more. Once a week seemed to be not working. I upped it to twice a week last month. Hopefully it'll kick in. My libido seems to have taken a hit but it could be stress cause my libido was fine 2 months ago.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding RU. It's a pain and too technical to make RU. Plus, I don't even know how effective it'll be. If there was a confirmation that RU is as effective as finasteride/dutasteride then I'd do it.

I just don't understand why any company didn't market RU. It would've been a big upgrade over Rogaine which has a monopoly which doesn't even stop hairloss.

If you didn't have any serious side effects from finasteride then you should try dutasteride. But it's more potent than finasteride so make sure you keep an eye on your libido/erections.

Other than that....maybe someone can make RU for you and you buy it from him...lol. That's what I'd do if someone that makes it in my city. I'll just pay him more for making it.

Sorry man, there is no good answer. It's all about trial and error. And the worst part is that it takes months to even know if dutasteride is working. Take pictures and keep track if you get on dutasteride. Good luck mate.