Worried about gyno !

BaldyBill

Reaction score
Last week I started having aching pains in my chest and under may arms, and my chest felt “tightâ€￾. Both breasts have definitely increased in size. There are no hard lumps, and the fat build up is not localised, so I don’t think it’s true gyno, but it scared the hell out of me. :freaked: :freaked:

Stopped Finasteride immediately. After a few days the pains have stopped, and the swelling has gone down a *bit*. But finasteride. works for me so I don’t want to stop.

One of the side-effects of Finasteride is a build up of fat in the chest, but it seemed to happen so fast, it freaked me out.

I’m considering starting Finasteride again at half the dose (1/16 th Proscar = 0.3mg), or taking my current dose every other day. Also I’m going to have a careful look at my diet and perhaps visit the gym a bit more.

Has anyone noticed a sudden swelling of their breast ?
Does it stop after a while or get worse and worse ? :freaked2:
Will reducing the dose make any difference ?

I'd appreciate any help / advice.

BaldyBill.

20andfartooyoung

Reaction score
Sounds like you could be having an allergic reaction to it. I am no doctor but i suggest you go see one about it before you continue taking it. I took propecia and after 15 days my lips were swollen and red. I stopped taking it for a while. After a couple months i tried propecia again and like clock work 15 days my lips were clown size once again. I dont know if you are in the same situation but any strange swelling cannot be good. Go see a doctor.

Reaction score
hey 20andfartooyoung

hey 20andfartooyoung, how long after u stopped finasteride' did these swelling of the lips side-effects go away? see i havnt started propecia yet and this kinda' stuff freaks me out.

BaldyBill

Reaction score
I’ve been on Propecia for over 9 months so I don’t think it’s an allergic reaction.

Breast swelling is a known side-effect of Propecia.
The high levels of Estrogen cause a build-up of tissue in the chest. I can put up with it as long as I know it’s not going to get worse.

I took a break from Propecia for 2 days, and the swelling stopped, but I’m real worried about losing the hair I’ve gained. I have now re-started at half the dose (0.3mg/day).

Any long-term users experienced this ? Will it subside, or will it just get worse and worse ?? Mr Telogen ??

BB.

Stingray

Reaction score
Wear those man boobs with pride!

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Stingray said:
Wear those man boobs with pride!

lachen001.gif

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
BB,

The only way to really know if it's true gyno is to have your hormones checked. If your estrogen is elevated, then you'll probably have to quit taking finasteride. It seems unlikely that gyno would have an onset of 1 week. Hormonal changes in tissue are usually very gradual. Of course its possible it has been happening for a couple months and just now became apparent. Lowering the dosage may help also. This is also a fear of mine since I tend to get "man titties" if my weight goes up even though I naturally have a muscular chest. If you cant afford the hormone check, then just keep taking the finasteride a couple more weeks and see if it subsides. If it doesnt, see a doctor to get a proffessional opinion before you taper/discontinue the drug. If you have to discontinue the drug, you can substitute a topical antiandrogen like spironolactone.

G

Either that or visit the bra store and buy a fine number that might turn the mrs on.

:laugh:

BaldyBill

Reaction score
Vortex – I understood that if you’re taking Finasteride then your Estrogen level WILL increase, it’s just a question of how much, and whether this increase has an effect on other things. Do you not agree ??

I’m sure it’s not gyno, and it’s reassuring that it disappeared as soon as I stopped taking Finasteride.
But I could feel my chest growing – it was amazingly quick.
In fact it looked more like I had some major pecs, rather than tits, made me look pretty muscular ! :rockon:

I’m wondering if it was more of a swelling (I got lip / face swelling when I first started on the drug), and it would have subsided whilst still taking finasteride. But that’s just too risky.

Strange thing is I wouldn’t say I was fat – I’m 6 foot and 170 lb ??
Mind you, my healthy eating habits have slipped a little lately.

Anyways, gotta try and cut a Proscar into 16ths now – not easy.

BB.

BaldyBill

Reaction score
My lips/face swelled up a couple of times during the first few months. Yeah, of course my first instinct was to drop Finasteride, but I stuck it out and I’m glad I did. :lol: :lol:

For 6 months I haven’t had one negative response to Finasteride. I thought my hormones had stabilised.

If you think it’s as easy as popping a pill every day then you’re in for a big surprise. As they say, nothing in life is for free.

I’d still recommend Propecia though – it works. Even with my recent problems I know that if it happens again I can stop taking the drug and my body will correct itself.

Problem is that it will take 3 months for me to know if 0.3mg/day is enough to stop my hair falling. According to the theory it is.

BaldyBill.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
BaldyBill"]Last week I started having aching pains in my chest and under may arms, and my chest felt “tightâ€￾. Both breasts have definitely increased in size. There are no hard lumps, and the fat build up is not localised, so I don’t think it’s true gyno, but it scared the hell out of me. :freaked: :freaked:

That's gynecomastia with a capital G.Don't kid yourself like I did.

BaldyBill

Reaction score
Hi Mr Telo, good to see you back on form.

After a month I’m still not sure if I have gyno or not.
My chest is definitely “biggerâ€, and I get the odd tingle, but no pain or nodules.

This is all making me a little paranoid, sometimes I convince myself it’s all in my head. My “tits†are not a problem, in fact nobody else would notice, so I’m sticking it out for a bit longer at a lower dose (0.3mg/day).

Can you give me an idea of “how quickly†your gyno appeared ?
Was there a slow build up of tissue, then one day you suddenly got real bad pain ?

Finasteride works for me, so I really really REALLY want to stay on the stuff. The benefits on my hair far outweigh these problems, but it’s a risky game .. .

Good to hear you got your problem sorted.

BaldyBill.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Around month three when my nuts ached and my libido soared, I also has itchy nips.I brushed it off becuase I figured it would go away like other sides are said to.It did go away to for about four months.Then it started again the same way and just got worse.After I hit the 12 month mark I had to quit it was so painful and I had nodules.

Stingray

Reaction score
It feels like my chest has expanded too...but more like filled out. Lean muscle mass, not flab. I couldn't be happier cuz it makes me look ripped with a shirt on :D

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade.....but if your chest increased in size since you've been on propecia...and you HAVENT been working out..it's gyno. Propecia does not build muscle

BaldyBill

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Telo.
So, how are you fighting DHT now ? Topical spironolactone ??

If I have to stop taking the stuff I'm gonna be so pissed off.
My crown's filled in, although a little diffused, and I'm really starting
to see activity at the front after 9 months, then this ....

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well go to a Doctor and see if you are getting gyno or not so you can move on.No I'm not using anything.

BaldyBill

Reaction score
Hey Stabber,
I think we have to make a distinction between gyno and increased fat/tissue. Big difference.
Sounds like Stingray's just got some increased tissue in the chest area, I'm still trying to mwork out which one I've got.

BaldyBill

Reaction score
I know exactly what my doctor would say. But I want to keep my hair.
Unfortunately doctors in the UK just aren't prepared to give Finasteride a chance.