Working out = hair loss?

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
should i should stop going to the gym?? Weight lifting facilitates hair loss?? and there i was thinking about all the benefits of excercise ... :mad::mad::mad:
Do i stopp working out now? ive gotten a decent body in 2 years

i want to know if the rumours are true.. do i need to stop working out to slow down my hair loss? Whats the facts here?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people will tell you weight lifting definitely causes hair loss and some will tell you it definitely doesn't.

There have been lots of arguments about this topic here in the past.

My advice is to keep working out. Don't let hair loss take over important aspects of your life.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
so there is some definite evidence that its bad for your hair then.. i want more opinions.. i do see alot of bald guys at the gym.. omg.. whats the concensus scientific view? Im taking DHT blocker finasteride, do u think this will stop any weight training induced hair loss? Or not..

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a lot of balding men at a soccer tournament I played in a couple of weeks ago. Omg does playing soccer cause baldness? I also am seeing a lot of men with buzzed hair that are balding, omg does buzzing your hair cause baldness?

Sorry for being sarcastic but working out does not cause hairloss if you don't have it in your genes.

andysutils

Reaction score
ghg said:
Sorry for being sarcastic but working out does not cause hairloss if you don't have it in your genes.
Gotta agree with this, to be honest, I wouldn't see how it would even if you did have it in your genes :D

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
guys we are on a HAIR LOSS forum. U can safely assume I have Androgenetic Alopecia. Male pattern baldness. I am not asking a cause and effect question here, working out does not cause one to be bald. I am asking, does working out accelerate hair loss, what if im on finasteride will it have an effect and should i stop working out to preserve my hair?

:dunno:

andy^ working out increases testosterone which gets converted into DHT. Apparently working out increases DHT by 30%. Thats what im worried about.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Look man, no one here is going to reassure you that lifting weights doesn't accelerate hair loss.

No one here really knows for sure if it does or doesn't, no matter how much they ramble on about 'DHT'.

You seem pretty worried about it, so just stop working out. Oh and don't have sex or masturbate either, that speeds up hair loss too.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on my own personal experience, yes weight lifting can and does cause hairloss. I never took anything at all at the time to mitigate against it (I didn't know it would cause it) so whether doing a couple of the big three helps, maybe. Having said that, if you are pretty much bald anyway, you should be toning up. Nothing worse the a fat bald fella!

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ That's a stupid assumption. It's like saying that not lifting weights causes hairloss because when my hairloss started, I had never lifted weights...

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
PeaPoddy in the success stories forum is the most ripped guy on this site. He works out 4 or so times a week and lifts extremely heavy weights. His hair is doing excellent on finasteride + minoxidil.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably contributes, but like any other factors, it is minimal

Funny, when I went to a gym where the average age of users was 16-18 I only noticed perfect hairlines

Now that I am going to a gym where the average users are my age there are bald guys everywhere, even talks about shampoos at the locker rooms

I think the best correlation is age and a desire to compensate for baldness. People are not bald because they go to the gym, they go to the gym because they are bald

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
bigentries said:
I think the best correlation is age and a desire to compensate for baldness. People are not bald because they go to the gym, they go to the gym because they are bald

I think this too.

I also see some guys with perfect hairlines (NW0-NW1) going to the gym and lifting heavy.

I don't think working out at the gym can really hurt your hair unless you're just prone to be a NW7 by age 23-24, and even then it won't really matter, you'll be bald anyway.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I've read exercise can raise dht and t levels, both aerobic and resistance training.

Type in exercise and dht in google for references, people do eventually start quoting studies.

However this isn't the complete picture if you have a beer belly then by all accounts it's worth getting rid of (for sooo many reasons).

People are quoting a study by Dr Paul Straub which i can't find which allegedly shows those people with abdominal fat have 10 times the amount of dht circulating around there body (although that doesn't sound right to me).

I think there's a link between insulin resistence and balding as well, which can probably be helped by moderate exercise

<<edit>>

Taken from wikipedia (so take it or leave it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_of_baldness

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle, or more sporadic exercise) and a diet which is adequate yet more moderate in terms of fat and total calorie intake have been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone.[3]
Lower insulin levels and reduced stress both result in raised levels of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). SHBG binds to testosterone. Only free testosterone improves muscle growth and insulin sensitivity, but free testosterone can also be converted to the ineffective (regarding insulin sensitivity) DHT. The levels of free androgens and not of total androgens are relevant to the levels of DHT in the scalp and the progression of male pattern baldness. In short, aerobic exercise is capable of significantly lowering DHT.[4][5]

[3] Daly W, Seegers CA, Rubin DA, Dobridge JD, Hackney AC (January 2005). "Relationship between stress hormones and testosterone with prolonged endurance exercise". European Journal of Applied Physiology 93 (4): 375–80. doi:10.1007/s00421-004-1223-1. PMID 15618989.

[4] Barnard RJ, Aronson WJ, Tymchuk CN, Ngo TH (November 2002). "Prostate cancer: another aspect of the insulin-resistance syndrome?". Obesity Reviews 3 (4): 303–8. doi:10.1046/j.1467-789X.2002.00081.x. PMID 12458975.

[5]Barnard RJ, Aronson WJ (2005). "Preclinical models relevant to diet, exercise, and cancer risk". Recent Results in Cancer Research 166: 47–61. doi:10.1007/3-540-26980-0_4. PMID 15648182.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ghg said:
I saw a lot of balding men at a soccer tournament I played in a couple of weeks ago. Omg does playing soccer cause baldness? I also am seeing a lot of men with buzzed hair that are balding, omg does buzzing your hair cause baldness?

Wow finally we share the same point of view.

The simple fact is if you have the genetics for just living causes hairloss.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Even if you have low T and you increase it by working out, it isn't going to be some abnormal number. Your DHT won't rise *that* much, and if you're on finasteride then you really shouldn't worry about it at all. T will go up, but DHT won't.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot interesting post.. excercise reduces insulin resistance? I hadnt heard that one. Is there any other way we can reduce insuline resistance

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
I must confess whilst i'm not completely out of my depth i've got armbands on here.

I've checked it out on the net it seems to be accepted wisdom that exercise can reduce insulin resistance.

After that i the best thing you can do is stop having sugar spikes in your diet, I don't think that means live a soul less existence, but if you're downing 2 litres of coke a day ( which i doubt with a name like mother nature) then it's gotta stop.

I also know that abdominal fat can also also increase levels of aromatase, important because that's gonna convert your testosterone into oestrogen, basically the beer bellys got to go!

One last thing one of the side effects listed on the web page for insulin resistance is brain fog!

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
^ That's a stupid assumption. It's like saying that not lifting weights causes hairloss because when my hairloss started, I had never lifted weights...

No it isn't. Hairloss isn't in my family and I started to lose it when I ramped up the weights. Could be a coincidence but I doubt it. As I said, my view is based on my own experience. Most of the comments on this forum are based on experience and opinion derived from that experience. You too are making an assumption by stating there is no link between hairloss and weight training when there is enough scientific and anecdotal evidence to suggest a cause and effect relationship however weak. For 30-40 minutes after training your t levels go through the roof. Are you telling me that in some people such an increase in t can't result in an increase in dht on the scalp????

You really shouldn't be so dismissive of people's opinions.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Strenous exercises prevent and contribute to baldness. :)

In prevents while you're at it. It contributes when you stop.

The length of time and spacing in between is key. :box: