Working out and Propecia

yankeepride

Reaction score
There is a question from a reader on this month's Men's Health Magazine that asks if Propecia will lower androgen levels, and if it will affect the results at the gym.

The answer: " No. This is a common misconception. Propecia actually blocks the effects of a compound that causes androgen to be converted to DHT. so your androgen levels will not go down-the point of the medication is to keep them intact. So your form an follicles should remain strong."

"By John R. White JR..P.A.-C..Pharm.D."

"Androgens have an anabolic effect—that is, they stimulate protein synthesis and inhibit protein breakdown, enhancing the growth of muscle and bone tissue in the developing male. "

"Androgen," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2004
http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

G

thanks for the data. Everybody seemed a little lost about this.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nice

G

badasshairday said:
thanks for the data. Everybody seemed a little lost about this.

Well, lets be clear that this is this guy's opinion, not data per se. There are opinions out there that differ on finasterides impact on body composition. Just ask that guys who post here with gyno.

The book is not closed on this subject.

:lol:

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Could gyno and body fat increases from finasteride be countered with a fat burner like Ripped Fuel or something?

G

George Costanza said:
Could gyno and body fat increases from finasteride be countered with a fat burner like Ripped Fuel or something?

In theory, any fat burners MIGHT help deal with added body fat from hormonal changes, IF that is what you might be experiencing.

Creatine is a very effective mass builder and in my opinion, safer and more tolerable than the stimulants in Ripped Fuel.

Having said that, I consider finasteride suspect in this regard and if you do too, might want to switch to topical DHT fighters if you haven't already.

I would also seek to cut down on carbs and work the exercise angle. Lastly, I would seek to get all environmental estrogens out of your space!

Good luck! :lol:

yankeepride

Reaction score
Well, lets be clear that this is this guy's opinion, not data per se.

I would take this Dr's opinion on the subject . He is a professor of Pharmacotherapy at Washington State University.

But just as in everything one can do more research and read opinions from reputable individuals. When it comes down to it, I would prefer if the person that I am taken suggestion from regarding a medical question has a Dr. degree.

G

yankeepride said:
Well, lets be clear that this is this guy's opinion, not data per se.

I would take this Dr's opinion on the subject . He is a professor of Pharmacotherapy at Washington State University.

But just as in everything one can do more research and read opinions from reputable individuals. When it comes down to it, I would prefer if the person that I am taken suggestion from regarding a medical question has a Dr. degree.

Actually he has a non-MD doctoral degree. Not bad but not the same.

Axon

Reaction score
image010.jpg

Dominic Toretto said:
You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car...

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
non or md doctoral, doesnt mean anything, dont be so trusting just because someone has dr. in front of their name......

G

What is gyno mean? Is that when there is high estrogen levels in the body?

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
tenderness or soreness of the breast tissue, at which point if you have this you may grow tits, yeah just like women......

yankeepride

Reaction score
Is not that I trust an opinion simply because the guys is a doctor. I am very skeptical about anything that hasn't been researched and proven to be work successfully. But someone that has the credentials to talk about the subject, I have to give them certain degree of credibility. Wouldn't you agree?

I'll take a medical advice from Dr. Joe more seriously than I do from joe the mechanic down the street.

Just my two cents.

G

yankeepride said:
Is not that I trust an opinion simply because the guys is a doctor. I am very skeptical about anything that hasn't been researched and proven to be work successfully. But someone that has the credentials to talk about the subject, I have to give them certain degree of credibility. Wouldn't you agree?

I'll take a medical advice from Dr. Joe more seriously than I do from joe the mechanic down the street.

Just my two cents.

Fair enough! :lol:

thicker

Reaction score
Do you think duasteride would adversely effect building muscle? Everyone keeps saying that it raises estrogen in your body.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Eleven months into my dutasteride usage and, in my opinion, there's been no detrimental effect as far as muscle growth goes.

Not sure about it raising oestrogen levels but I do vaguely remember reading that a daily dose increases testosterone levels by 17% - again only from memory, could be wrong.

Slarti

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
If Propecia effected gains in the gym in a negative way, than most of my friends and I wouldnt be gaining any muscle whatsover. As a matter of fact, I have yet to hear ANYONE who takes finasteride and trains (seriously) complain about not making any gains.

It is oridinary practice for steroid users to take finasteride, as it helps protect the prostate from enlargment and for hair loss. There hasnt been ONE person that has said that they didnt make muscle gains because of finasteride.

Several DOCTORS have repeated what this Doctor already stated, OVER and OVER again but it always seems to be the Joe Blow that wants to argue this fact.

Just my 2 cents.