Working out and Hairloss

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I wanted to see if anyone else here found that working out intensely, made their hair loss more aggressive. I use to work out very hard. I would lift weights 5 times a week and do cardio 2-3 times a week. I also used (legal / non-testosterone based) supplements such as pre-workout, glutamine, protein powder, ocassionally BCAA and fish oil.

Anyhow, My hair line was pretty much perfect until my first year of university (i was only 18 !) This was when I started to workout as mentioned above. Now I know this in itself is not much of a coincidence as I'm sure a lot of people that lose hair will begin when their around 18. However, the odd part is the same thing happened with my brother at a different age. Me and him have very similar hair loss patterns. He began working out seriously at 21 and his hairloss started around the same age. I never used steroids and i'm sure he didn't either.

TLDR: I feel as though the increase in DHT production from working out (even naturally) can be a very big factor in male pattern baldness. Anyone agree?

Masakage

Reaction score
Yes, it is reported that intensive heavy weight training can increase DHT and overall testosterone, while cardio and long interval training can reduce it. Although I'm sure they are no where sufficient alone to stop hair loss.

rcom440

Reaction score
No, for the 10 times working out/weight training won't cause hairloss as long as you are not taking steroids. This stuff was discussed on this forum many times and it was backed up with studies.
So don't worry about this and continue working out but also remember for taking a few days off for muscle development. Muscles are build when you are at rest. In most cases it takes around one week for torn fibers to rebuild and grow so don't train same group of muscles more than 2 times a week.

I believe your hairline would change if you didn't work out at all. It has nothing to do with intense working out.

there is much more to hairloss than naturally rised DHT by working out.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
No, for the 10 times working out/weight training won't cause hairloss as long as you are not taking steroids. This stuff was discussed on this forum many times and it was backed up with studies.
So don't worry about this and continue working out but also remember for taking a few days off for muscle development. Muscles are build when you are at rest. In most cases it takes around one week for torn fibers to rebuild and grow so don't train same group of muscles more than 2 times a week.

I believe your hairline would change if you didn't work out at all. It has nothing to do with intense working out.

Yeah I actually did read a few threads about working out and male pattern baldness and to be honest I didn't really see any research or scientific evidence either way. I understand that working out doesn't raise your testosterone levels any where near what steroids/ test boosters would. I definitely noticed a relation between the two. With that being said, their could be a lurking variable.

I don't mean to brag or anything, but I feel it's relevant for me to express the strenuous nature in which I would work out. I don't mean working out a few times a week or maybe doing moderate weights. I'm talking about basically working out like someone who is a natural amateur body-builder.

I did a bit more research and found an article that found a link between excessive working out and Telogen Effluvium. Link here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/75051-exercise-hair-loss/

The article more suggests the link between working out excessively and putting your Body in Chronic stress, which leads to overall hair thinning. If it has been proven to be capable of causing Telogen Effluvium, I feel like its not a huge jump that it could accelerate male pattern baldness (maybe only slightly).

I don't have the time or motivation to work out how I once did anyway so I'm going to workout but more moderately (2-3 times a week). I doubt that any source would claim working out moderately is anything but good for your overall body/hair health.

jnestor481

Reaction score

That's a relief to hear. I have always worked out and lifted weights, and I was curious about this too. Thanks for the info.

Rdll12

Reaction score
The changes in testosterone are very low when you work out versus when you dont, basically your test can increase 2 times and still have no sign of growth in hairloss

testingit

Reaction score
glad for this thread, had the same question

i guess it could increase shedding if you are working out/sweat hard but there is no evidence i've seen exercise accelerate hairloss, in fact being healthy and working out could have some minor benefits

Swolemanlet

Reaction score
The only way working could cause hairloss us if you'be used steroids, if not then don't worry about it.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would make a difference. I stopped lifting last week after 3 years but certainly don't expect it to improve my hair.

IA2015

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you'll care. However working out will not cause hairloss, not unless its excessive and you limit your calories - however that is different, not male pattern baldness.

Creatine has been known to accelerate male pattern baldness, especially if you have the male pattern baldness gene. It increases DHT levels in your body. Creatine is great - you can use it to get swole pretty fast, however it isn't worth it, given that it accelerates hairloss.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
I cannot enter the scientific debate on the validity of weight training causing hairloss, but just to chime in on the discussion, my hairloss started at the exact same time i started working out. At 16 I had a perfect nw1 head, at 17 i was showing diffuse nw6 patterns.

May have just been a coinsidence, because after the initial onset, I have not noticed any change in hairloss pattern regardless of working out or not.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
I cannot enter the scientific debate on the validity of weight training causing hairloss, but just to chime in on the discussion, my hairloss started at the exact same time i started working out. At 16 I had a perfect nw1 head, at 17 i was showing diffuse nw6 patterns.

May have just been a coinsidence, because after the initial onset, I have not noticed any change in hairloss pattern regardless of working out or not.
:wow: In one year??

IA2015

Established Member
Reaction score

The studies are very sketchy with regards to weight lifting. Weightlifting can increase testosterone by 25%, if this reacts with 5-alpha-reductose to create DHT then it can cause problems. However it seems as if the evidence suggests that weightlifting is not a cause of hairloss but merely a catalyst. However, even then its very patchy.

I think it was probably just a coincidence, we tend to begin working out at the time when certain genes kick in and when we were programmed to begin losing hair.

Sonixxxx

Reaction score
Weight lifting and working out do not cause hairloss and dont acclerate it. Steroids do. There are no scientific studies proving it causes hairloss or accelerates it. The increases in dht and/or testosterone are not great enough to cause an acceleration of male pattern baldness. However if your taking steroids thats a different story. It seems it is a very common myth people believe that weightlifting causes and accelerates male pattern baldness.

Charles1728

Reaction score
People need to stop linking everything to hair loss. A pattern is genetic. It's a disease. Weightlifting cannot cause a genetic disease.

nick_17

Reaction score
I would like to see a study showing the ratio of balding people compared to different sports.

For example comparing Marathon runners, Tour de France cyclists with body builders, sprinters or other strength related sports.

Does anybody know if there is anything like this out there?

OutlawL

Reaction score
I would like to see a study showing the ratio of balding people compared to different sports.

For example comparing Marathon runners, Tour de France cyclists with body builders, sprinters or other strength related sports.

Does anybody know if there is anything like this out there?

I doubt that there are any correlations.