Working out and DHT

need_hair04

Reaction score
when working out your body creates a greater amount of Testostorone and thus must create more DHT right??
Then can this cause more hairloss(accelerated) to someone that is already experiencing hairloss or could it spark hairloss among someone who is not experiencing hairloss while working out??

Goingat20

Reaction score
When i look at body builders there hair seems to be fine.... So i dont think it could spark someone to suffer from hair loss...

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
When i look at body builders there hair seems to be fine.... So i dont think it could spark someone to suffer from hair loss...

only for those who dont have male pattern baldness..what abt those with male pattern baldness?

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, Governor Arnold comes to my mind when I think about hairloss and body building...he DOESN'T HAVE A PROBLEM:)

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Greg1 said:
Hmmm, Governor Arnold comes to my mind when I think about hairloss and body building...he DOESN'T HAVE A PROBLEM:)

he got a hairtransplant

oni

Reaction score
Arnold liked to do roids lol! do you think he had a hair problem!!

Axon

Reaction score
It does nothing. I was badling before I began working out, I'm balding less now that I work out consistently.

Enough junk science.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Axon said:
I was badling before I began working out, I'm balding less now that I work out consistently.
Which proves irrefutably that working out slows balding.

How's that for junk science?

Or, for something more relevant to the question, read this:
Bryan said:
everysixseconds said:
what is the limiting factor in the production of DHT. is it the amount of testosterone available for conversion or the amount of enzymes (5AR) there to catalyse the reaction.
Excellent question! Castration reduces serum testosterone levels by 90%-95%, but serum DHT is reduced by only around 70% or so, according to one study I've seen. That suggests to me that maybe the amount of 5a-reductase is the limiting factor in the production of DHT, although I certainly wouldn't consider that to be the final word on the subject.

Slarti

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
So if I started woring out again, or weight lifting for that matter, it wouldn't have a negative effect on my battle against male pattern baldness?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
more test does not mean more DHT. If working out causes more production of the 5aR Enzyme, then yes it probably would.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna lay off bulking back up untill I have done more research on the topic. If I find out that it does increase hairloss, I'll stay off he weights untill I get HM done in 5 years.

drinkrum

Reaction score
The key here is significance. Weightlifting probably doesn't increase your T levels high enough to significantly change 5-AR II levels. In any case, many things increase T levels. Staring at a pair of boobs, eating red meat, etc. all affect testosterone levels. At some point, you just gotta live your life. If you are that paranoid about six sigma events relating to hair loss, just inject a few grams of estrogen into your body everyday. That will drive your T and DHT levels to 0. Or cut out your hypothalamus through your nose with a butter knife.

D.

Brandon Mthson

Established Member
Reaction score
No one can really say, though I think Drinkrum sums it up really nicely. Even if it were to accelerate hair loss slightly, which is currently unknown, and maybe unlikely, I don't think it would be worth it to avoid working out.

Mental behavior has also been shown to reduce testosterone levels in men, such as falling in love, getting married, and having children. (Ask me for the studies if you want them). Maybe this happens because the individual in these activities becomes less interested in conquering-like activities. I think calm mental states, whatever that means to you, could decrease testosterone levels also. The body reacts very fast to what's going on in the nervous system.

--------
4 months Revivogen
3 months Cut out my hypothalamus through my nose with a butter knife, having good results!