Will I keep my "rogained" hair if I am taking Fina

Mindfull

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is Thomas, and Im from Denmark. First I apologize if the following has already been answered - Ive been reading a lot of threads, but may have missed it out:

1) I have been taking 1mg Finasteride for 1 year + 5% Kirkland Minoxidil, 2xday for 6 months. I see results - especially after commencing the Minoxidil treatment. Thus my first question is now:
IF i stop using Minoxidil (and I would do this for practical reasons) should I then expect to loose any regained hair that is caused by the use of Minoxidil? Or should I expect propecia - it being a "maintainer" - to let me keep this newly gained hair?

2) I am planning to buy generic proscar (brandname="Finpencia") in India - produced by a firm callled Cipla. Does anybody know if this brand is good? Somebody stated in an earlier thread that proscar would not be patent-realeased by Merc until 2005?

3) I was VERY concerned from reading a thread in here by AJB about the negative effects of Finasteride on GABBA receptors in the brain and subsequent potential mood disorders. I was wondering if any of you have since then come across any updated studies that may or may not confirm any suspicion in this regard?

4) Last, a concern that has also previously been stated: Can or can you not have unsafe sex with your pregnant wife if you are taking finasteride?!

Thanks in advance for taking your time to answer questions in here. Youre doing a great job which is undoubtedly beeing appreciated by many people like myself :)

Best wishes,
Thomas

Best wishes,
Thomas

G

In short,

yes the minoxidil grown hairs will leave if you stop taking minoxidil. DItto on the finasteride.

Re: Indian finasteride. No studies have been done on this. To be safe many stick with the original real deal.

Personally no depression with finasteride after two yrs. Not aware of any studies on this.

Lastly, I know of no concerns re the sex with your wife issue? Elaborate.

Titan

Reaction score
It's odd they haven't come up with a single treatment using both stimulants and inhibitors. I've also been wondering about what would happen if rogaine was stopped but propecia intake was kept up, I was also hoping the minoxidil could be stopped. Not to worry, I'm sure a new treatment will come out in time to tackle both.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted a link to a study done on this a while back on the forums - using both products for growth and then continuing propecia but dropping minoxidil. It caused all the minoxidil dependent hairs to be shed. After a year of minoxidil, you might be safe moving to 1x per day, but I wouldn't drop it completely.

poorman

Reaction score
4) Last, a concern that has also previously been stated: Can or can you not have unsafe sex with your pregnant wife if you are taking finasteride?!

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have sex with your wife while taking this drug!!! Link here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... php?t=4196

Talk to your doctor about finasteride/proscar. You could have VERY harmful effects if you conceive a child. Like having three arms and such. Very tagic...but it happens. So either don't have kids, or don't take this drug! I think you need to stop for at least three months(not sure) to get it out of your system.

Hope this helps,

poorman

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
I think what he meant was, is it safe to have unprotected sex with your wife if you are on finasteride?

I too want to ask this question so all replys appreciated :)

G

semen or saliva?

That post seems like a joke. May be may be not. But remember that it has not to do with starting to conceive or being already pregnant. the point is that as i understand it, there may be hormones that regulate the male foetus through out the pregnancy period and exposure to finasteride either immediately before or at any time during the pregnancy might disturb those hormones so problems might occur. The problem as I know can occur with only the male foetus and the tale of five arms, one lung and three legs is sheer bullshit and mere non-sense. And take a life, if this could happen with sex during finasteride treatment, it could as well hapeen by kissing during the treatment. I haven't heard any body say that finasteride can pass through semen or saliva in active form. The only point is that the broken tablets should not be taken by women during pregnancy (the wife of that person did handle some broken tablets but again that thing can not alter legs or arms, only male properties of the male foetus so far as I know), and that is all!!!!! For anything else, either believe me or the FDA or sue them.
CuZn

Mindfull

Reaction score
Sex on Finasteride

BruceLee said:
In short,

yes the minoxidil grown hairs will leave if you stop taking minoxidil. DItto on the finasteride.

Re: Indian finasteride. No studies have been done on this. To be safe many stick with the original real deal.

Personally no depression with finasteride after two yrs. Not aware of any studies on this.

Lastly, I know of no concerns re the sex with your wife issue? Elaborate.

Thanks for your replies. Regarding the above quote - I would just expect finasteride - to the extend that it has in fact been succesful in maintaining your "original" hair - would be able to also maintain any hair grown with Minoxidil (?) As we know, the effect of Minoxidil is predicted to stop if you discontinue the treatment - but also if you combine with Finasteride? Any medical explanation out there?

Regarding the safe-sex-on-finasteride-issue: I was not kidding :!: I do of course know that there is no official indication or warning from the FDA that one should avoid unprotected sex when taking Finasteride - supposedly because the concentrations are so low that they are meant not to be harmful to the male foetus. However, on countless pages on the Internet you may find warnings against having unprotected sex.. if you are taking Dutasteride. See fx:

http://www.google.dk/search?q=cache:d40 ... a&ie=UTF-8

QUOTE:

Avoiding contact between Avodart and pregnant women:

- "Your semen may contain small amounts of the active ingredient of Avodart, which could affect the normal development of a male baby. Therefore, if your partner is or may be pregnant, you must avoid exposing her to your semen, for example wearing a condom during sex. If a pregnant woman comes into contact with the active ingredient in Avodart (for example by handling a broken capsules or by unprotected sex), please consult a doctor".

Finasteride and Dutasteride work in similar ways, thus I would exspect the same precaution should be taken when taking Finasteride?

Truly,
Thomas

Mindfull

Reaction score
And just to elaborate on the last part: The question is if unprotected sex should be avoided altogether when you are taking Finasteride?! (in the case she gets pregant...)

G

Mindfull said:
And just to elaborate on the last part: The question is if unprotected sex should be avoided altogether when you are taking Finasteride?! (in the case she gets pregant...)

Think about how many people are using Finasteride? Don't you think your answer to that would be all over the bottles of finasteride and websites and not on a discussion forum?

Cassin

Reaction score
Anonymous said:
Mindfull said:

Think about how many people are using Finasteride? Don't you think your answer to that would be all over the bottles of finasteride and websites and not on a discussion forum?

sheesh, my quote...need to remember to log in before I post....

Mindfull

Reaction score

... well, it doesnt say anything either about finasteride being able to influence the GABBA receptors in your brain (there are indications that it does).

The thing is that Dustasteride is dangerous to use if you are planning on prenangcy. Dustastide only differ from Finasteride by reducing also the face II 5AR. Thus my concern.

Surely the concentrations may be microscopic so that no risk is indicated - but I personally would like to be informed if there could be ANY theoretical risk whatSOever. Read resumé from clinical trials on this matter:

([url="http://international.pillsha...ternational.pillshark.com/genp ... esc-1.html)[/url]

"The in utero effects of finasteride exposure during the period of embryonic and fetal development were evaluated in the rhesus monkey (gestation days 20-100), a species more predictive of human development than rats or rabbits. Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant monkeys at doses as high as 800 ng/day (at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day) resulted in no abnormalities in male fetuses. In confirmation of the relevance of the rhesus model for human fetal development, oral administration of a very high dose of finasteride (2 mg/kg/day; 100 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day or approximately 12 million times the highest estimated exposure to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day) to pregnant monkeys resulted in external genital abnormalities in male fetuses. No other abnormalities were observed in male fetuses and no finasteride-related abnormalities were observed in female fetuses at any dose"

My own conclusion would be that there is a theoretical risk, although small (?)

Anyone out there with insight into this?

In addition I was wondering what you should expect if you plan to switch from propecia to a local DHT inhibtor, Revivogen - should this alternation be gradual; should you continue to take propecia along with Revivogen for at while before quitting propecia?

Thanks for your time 8)

Thomas

Mindfull

Reaction score

And still curious about this:

" I would just expect finasteride - to the extend that it has in fact been succesful in maintaining your "original" hair - would be able to also maintain any hair grown with Minoxidil (?) As we know, the effect of Minoxidil is predicted to stop if you discontinue the treatment - but is this the case also if you combine with Finasteride? Any medical explanation out there? "

Thomas

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Explanation given on many sites

Just thought I would chip in simply by restating something that I read numberous times on many sites, including this one (somewhere):

The reason that you can still lose hair regained by minoxidil, while still taking finasteride, is that the mechanisms for regrowth are different between the two. minoxidil opens your potassium channels which helps nutrition-wise, yadeyadaya, while Finasteride is a DHT inhibiotor, yadeyadeya. Some hairs are affected by DHT, the other by... lack of... whatever, you get the jist of it. My explanation is half-assed- don't go thinking you can eat a bunch of bananas (high in potass) instead of using minoxidil. (Bad joke,sorry.)

And who knows if there is a link between the two. We won't know until there is a no-kidding cure to this gd male pattern baldness. But for now, this is the explanation we have to live with.

Good question, and perhaps the answer is counterintuitive, but there is some science behind it. So keep using both if you can. Later.