Why there will NEVER be a cure for baldness

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just watched this informative video by veritasium and it confirmed what we have always suspected but thought it too radical to not be true. At least, I didn’t believe it

Planned obsolescence is a real thing, just wow.

A cure to baldness would simply be not profitable. Hairloss is such a massive profitable industry, can you imagine what a cure would do to all that profit? End it in a heartbeat. People will just stop caring about hairloss and buying all hair products.

Maybe just maybe some small researcher somewhere does come up with a cure but even they might not be able to bring it to market and probably get crushed.

The best we can and will keep getting is a pill like finasteride or minoxidil that you’ve to take for the rest of your life.

So yeah, whoever was hoping for some miracle cure, it’s not happening.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re happy?

I am actually pissed that the lightbulbs that die on me, I always thought why can’t they make it more durable. To learn that they actually did do that a century ago and then intentionally made them crap. For such a small thing like lightbulbs , they wouldn’t allow us good.

The profits in hairloss industry are ginormous

-specter-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This topic comes back every month ... So basically it is enough to eliminate the illuminati to solve the problem. that then the Illuminati were born with the idea to bring scientific and human progress, to come out of darkness and improve humanity, not to stagnate in misery.

Seriously, it has been 40-50 years since a product that really works hasn't come out on the market, persisting in keeping fina and minoxidil on the market without even creating a vector that is effective is a shame. then if the thing were also intentional it means that indeed in our society there are senescent people who are rowing against the common interest, at this point they must simply be eliminated, that both this area and research in general.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just watched this informative video by veritasium and it confirmed what we have always suspected but thought it too radical to not be true. At least, I didn’t believe it

Planned obsolescence is a real thing, just wow.

A cure to baldness would simply be not profitable. Hairloss is such a massive profitable industry, can you imagine what a cure would do to all that profit? End it in a heartbeat. People will just stop caring about hairloss and buying all hair products.

Maybe just maybe some small researcher somewhere does come up with a cure but even they might not be able to bring it to market and probably get crushed.

The best we can and will keep getting is a pill like finasteride or minoxidil that you’ve to take for the rest of your life.

So yeah, whoever was hoping for some miracle cure, it’s not happening.
A cure for baldness is probably the most profitable sh*t there is. Because there won't be a limit to people that start to bald.
Also, every Norwood 5-6-7 will be able to cure themselves.
So the market for that is pretty much the biggest market you can imagine.
It's just not easy to cure this, because cloning hair it's pretty much create an organ and we are getting there.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

The simpler and more likely answer is that in both absolute and relative terms, there just aren't that many people researching hair loss. And of those who are, what you see is the best they've got.

Which for me is even scarier/more depressing than some grand conspiracy.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The sad truth is there are many diseases that need cures, and hair loss is not as profitable or "morally" attractive to pursue as many others. In some way the OP is right, traditional pharmaceuticals aren't ideal for curing disease, but they are cheap and easy. For decades the technology was not there to move beyond this, and there was little motivation to invest in it as profits were rolling in and investments in new technology are risky. This dynamic has changed in the last decade. Technology is there to pursue better options, and the race is on to be the first one to cross the finish line with more advanced medicines like gene therapy, immunotherapies, mAbs, cellular reprogramming, etc. The cure is coming.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sadly for us,
cure is very difficult if not impossible.
AND
Prevention is not a great deal due its simplicity.
You say impossible while we have 3 companies just in 2022 that before clinical trial.
I bet in the next 3-4 year we will have 2-3 more companies that will join the race.
Also, Dnovo results reach real life results.
We are closer, like 10 years away

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What? Leds last a lot longer than typical lightbulbs. And they're much better than years ago too.
The LEDs are much worse for your health though and they keep the streets too bright at night plus may interfere with animals and people trying to rest.

Briandesigns

Reaction score
Don't spam it with non hair related stuff
1652643090429.png

LED for hair could be an option

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You say impossible while we have 3 companies just in 2022 that before clinical trial.
I bet in the next 3-4 year we will have 2-3 more companies that will join the race.
Also, Dnovo results reach real life results.
We are closer, like 10 years away

The big pharma isn't interested and these small companies just aren't equipped to actually make a breakthrough or bring a cure to the market. The fate of just about all these companies is bankruptcy.

Take the example of covid, a vaccine was ready in MONTHS and experimental new technology at that. That's light speed in medical world since bringing new drugs to the market takes years to a decade.

I have no doubt that if those big pharma showed the same interest in baldness cure as they did for beating the covid, we would have a cure already. It's just not profitable to have a cure for baldness,

"06-Apr-2022 — In total, Merck booked an estimated $5.2 billion in sales of Propecia"

That's billions down the drain because nobody would take finasteride if they could just get a one time cure.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The big pharma isn't interested and these small companies just aren't equipped to actually make a breakthrough or bring a cure to the market. The fate of just about all these companies is bankruptcy.

Take the example of covid, a vaccine was ready in MONTHS and experimental new technology at that. That's light speed in medical world since bringing new drugs to the market takes years to a decade.

I have no doubt that if those big pharma showed the same interest in baldness cure as they did for beating the covid, we would have a cure already.
100% true, money, money and money

Anatman

My Regimen
Reaction score
ooof. Of course, the evil pharmaceutical industry wants us all to take finasteride because all baldies use it and nobody fears the side effects. even the thousands of suppliers of Finasteride film-coated tablets are in fact just one big company. and the $5 at Wallmart for a three month supply
(?) they will definitely get rich with it. and in my country we only hear positive things about it! You hear about it almost everywhere, it is advertised everywhere and none of our articles say anything about the side effects or PFS.

My goodness. can't we just accept that hair follicles work like organs and are therefore much more difficult to understand? of course it has implications for research as it is not a serious disease and the complexity makes it difficult to gauge whether the theory will work in practice. we have seen so many companies that sounded promising with their research and yet failed. such trials now cost a lot of money. But of course, they have had the miracle cure for a long time and only pump the billions into the individual trials so that we first hope and then disappointedly buy finasteride again for $5-30. lol.
it is true that there is a lot of sh*t going on in the pharmaceutical industry. Nevertheless, some seem to need the melodramatic kick here.

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In general, I think it is rather nonsensicle to believe that existing industries can ever block the entry of newer and better technologies to the market. If you just look at the products we are using over the last decades, it is clear that there is rapid development across the board and each bit of progress was to the detriment of other companies or even entire industries, who were profitable, rich and powerful before the new competitors arrived.

Specific to hair loss, I think that "the cure" will most likely be a expansion of the market rather than a decline. Let's say Stemson makes it and the price their product at €50.000 then that will be far more than an individual would spend even on hair transplants, minodixil, finasteride and other garbage.

I also wondered why a guy like Musk didn't commit a billion or so to solving this problem. My only explanation is that most billionairs are a little bit older and might still feel some kind of shame in solving a purely cosmetical issue like hair loss (Yes, I know it can affect mental health, but this is the perception most people have) since that is quite common in older generations. My guess is that they want to be seen as tackling real issues instead of engaging in vanity projects.