why not get psych help?

still_trying

Reaction score
For all people suffering so badly from the mental degredation that so often accompanies hairloss, have you considered professional psychiatric help? Like NLP (neuro linguistic programming) or CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) as examples -- there are many more of course.

I've been flicking through posts on the "impact of hair loss" threads and there's some very strong feelings coming out.

As i said on another post recently, think of the time, effort and money people will spend to get hair back. I'm sure for a lot less of all 3 of those, you could get counselling or CBT treatment that could help you be much more positive about life.

So WHO WOULD CONSIDER IT?? and if not, why not?

I recently read "birdsong", fiction work set in the trenches of WWI, and have since been reading bits about the war, and even the Korean war..really eye opening stuff, the conditions were completely unimaginable for our generation.

the sh!t that people have gone through at our age and younger in the last hundred years, it seems such a disgrace that we sit around complaining that our lives are over because of hair loss...

G

Well, I have recently started a CBT, but I don´t think that it will help me. I am already on ADs which make me so f*****g tired. In the end I can´t imagine a CBT to be the solution of my problems. I want hair and not psychologial treatment.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
still_trying said:
For all people suffering so badly from the mental degredation that so often accompanies hairloss, have you considered professional psychiatric help? Like NLP (neuro linguistic programming) or CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) as examples -- there are many more of course.

I've been flicking through posts on the "impact of hair loss" threads and there's some very strong feelings coming out.

As i said on another post recently, think of the time, effort and money people will spend to get hair back. I'm sure for a lot less of all 3 of those, you could get counselling or CBT treatment that could help you be much more positive about life.

So WHO WOULD CONSIDER IT?? and if not, why not?

I recently read "birdsong", fiction work set in the trenches of WWI, and have since been reading bits about the war, and even the Korean war..really eye opening stuff, the conditions were completely unimaginable for our generation.

the sh!t that people have gone through at our age and younger in the last hundred years, it seems such a disgrace that we sit around complaining that our lives are over because of hair loss...

Never worked for me. Just getting older helps, and given I've been losing my hair since 16, I've had 15 years of accepting it, so it doesn't bother me too much, though I would still like to look like a normal human for once in my life. Had I not had bad hair transplant, and had a decent one to begin with, I would be far better off mentally. But of course I had to have the worse case scenario happen (using up my entire donor area on a small ahrea of my head with obvious plugs and terrible scarring).

G

The only thing that would help with overcoming hair loss is a pretty and nice girlfriend. I would still want my hair back, but knowing that there is someone who cares for you is a BIG Plus.

s.a.f

Reaction score
still_trying said:

Yes but your only influences in life come from your surroundings. If we were all fighting in a war or living in caves struggling to get enough food to just survive we would not be worrying about hairloss. But because we live in this shallow and comfortably well off society it is a huge concern to us.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
The only thing that would help with overcoming hair loss is a pretty and nice girlfriend. I would still want my hair back, but knowing that there is someone who cares for you is a BIG Plus.

You'd still always be insecure though, because there's always better looking, taller, richer, and have more hair. Having dating a bit, and knowing many people who have been in many relationships, loyalty is a foreign concept to most people these days. However to guys in relationships that are losing their hair, I would NEVER EVER let her know it's bothering you. I would hide at all costs your propecia or rogaine, because that shows insecurity and lack of confidence, which is a total turnoff to women.

G

s.a.f said:
[quote="still_trying":53e61]I recently read "birdsong", fiction work set in the trenches of WWI, and have since been reading bits about the war, and even the Korean war..really eye opening stuff, the conditions were completely unimaginable for our generation.

Yes but your only influences in life come from your surroundings. If we were all fighting in a war or living in caves struggling to get enough food to just survive we would not be worrying about hairloss. But because we live in this shallow and comfortably well off society it is a huge concern to us.[/quote:53e61]

Same could be said about depressions. There are no depressive people in the third world. But it doesn´t help us just like you can´t tell depressive people "to think positive" because in the end we still live in this superficial society and hair will matter to us.

still_trying

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
s.a.f said:
[quote="still_trying":0ee5d]I recently read "birdsong", fiction work set in the trenches of WWI, and have since been reading bits about the war, and even the Korean war..really eye opening stuff, the conditions were completely unimaginable for our generation.

Yes but your only influences in life come from your surroundings. If we were all fighting in a war or living in caves struggling to get enough food to just survive we would not be worrying about hairloss. But because we live in this shallow and comfortably well off society it is a huge concern to us.

Same could be said about depressions. There are no depressive people in the third world. But it doesn´t help us just like you can´t tell depressive people "to think positive" because in the end we still live in this superficial society and hair will matter to us.[/quote:0ee5d]

But that's my point - it DOESN'T matter to everyone.. so why does it matter to some people? Because of their own feelings of unworthiness.

That's why you get professional help, to change your own feelings towards whatever is bothering you! Should everyone in the world be insecure about themselves and hate aspects of their body?

There's a guy i work with, who is not good looking, far from it, he's probably nw3 dand diffuse, and his hair doesn't suit being short so he just sort of lets it grow wild. But he's got a beautiful, funny, nice girlfriend who he now lives with. WHY? because he's relaxed, happy, confident, always smiling... stop self pitying and change yourself to be morelike that!

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
still_trying said:
Taugenichts said:
[quote="s.a.f":2e141][quote="still_trying":2e141]I recently read "birdsong", fiction work set in the trenches of WWI, and have since been reading bits about the war, and even the Korean war..really eye opening stuff, the conditions were completely unimaginable for our generation.

Same could be said about depressions. There are no depressive people in the third world. But it doesn´t help us just like you can´t tell depressive people "to think positive" because in the end we still live in this superficial society and hair will matter to us.[/quote:2e141]

But that's my point - it DOESN'T matter to everyone.. so why does it matter to some people? Because of their own feelings of unworthiness.

That's why you get professional help, to change your own feelings towards whatever is bothering you! Should everyone in the world be insecure about themselves and hate aspects of their body?

There's a guy i work with, who is not good looking, far from it, he's probably nw3 dand diffuse, and his hair doesn't suit being short so he just sort of lets it grow wild. But he's got a beautiful, funny, nice girlfriend who he now lives with. WHY? because he's relaxed, happy, confident, always smiling... stop self pitying and change yourself to be morelike that![/quote:2e141]

You can't be sure that's why. he may have met her online and sent her a pic of his 10" dick and that's the reason she's with him. Or she likes being beat up. What people present in public isn't always reflective of reality.

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
we are all products of the society we live in.
and today's society worships youth, and a certain type of look as promoted by our media.

so how do you think the girl who has heavy legs feels when she knows that no amount of dieting will ever give her a nice pair of pins?

same boat as us, chaps....sabotaged by her genes.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
recboi said:
Taugenichts said:

You'd still always be insecure though, because there's always better looking, taller, richer, and have more hair. Having dating a bit, and knowing many people who have been in many relationships, loyalty is a foreign concept to most people these days. However to guys in relationships that are losing their hair, I would NEVER EVER let her know it's bothering you. I would hide at all costs your propecia or rogaine, because that shows insecurity and lack of confidence, which is a total turnoff to women.

that is too true. but if you feel like you have to hide your insecurities, maybe you need a new woman. Christ, I know I do.

G

damn, everything you all write is so ill. i cant say it another way. really, go see a doctor.

IBM

Reaction score
I dont go to a professional because i dont have money for that. But i need it a lot. Even a collegue came to me and told me to not be afraid. And he said that from nothing.

The best for me is to get out of my place and live in a diferent country, meet new people and stay away from some people that tries to get us (me and my family) down.

And similar to Taugenichts i would choose a girlfriend that i love than all the money of the world. It's the only way to improve my life.