Why isnt everyone using dutasteride????????

jeffsss

Reaction score
Well heres my reason and I hope it's the same for everyone..

I went to the Doctor and she prescribed propecia. not dutasteride..

after further reseach into hair loss i see that finasteride blocks roughly 65% of DHT..

and dutasteride blocks almost 100%?

why the hell should i not switch to dutasteride while i still have hair?

if people dont respond to finasteride or dutasteride, why not? if dutasteride blocks 100% of dht, why woudldnt this cure male pattern baldness? :confused:

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The human body needs some DHT to function correctly.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Radio said:

sorry if this is elementry for you.. and I didnt do a search... but why does human body need DHT? and couldnt you take a smaller does of dutasteride and make it more effective than finasteride?

more importantly.. couldnt you use a topical AND dutasteride or finasteride to reduce it at the scalp??

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
sorry if this is elementry for you.. and I didnt do a search... but why does human body need DHT? and couldnt you take a smaller does of dutasteride and make it more effective than finasteride?

DHT is a powerful hormone and has many roles in the body.

As dutasteride inhibits more DHT than finasteride, yes you could take a smaller dose of dutasteride and make it more effective that finasteride.

Not sure why you would want to do this.

jeffsss said:
more importantly.. couldnt you use a topical AND dutasteride or finasteride to reduce it at the scalp??

Yes, many do, myself included.

I use Spironolactone, ketoconazole, azelaic acid and finasteride to inhibit DHT, with finasteride being the only systemic treatment in the list.

To the question of why more people do not take dutasteride.

As dutasteride inhibits more DHT than finasteride the incidence of side effects will be higher, indeed the effect of hair growth from dusateride is infact a side effect to dutasteride intended use as a benign prostatic hypertrophy medication.

So, side effects is the reason you would take dutasteride (hair growth) and side effects is the reason you would not, the same is true of finasteride.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
Radio said:

Sorry to nitpick, but I'm not sure this has been proven.

Without DHT a male would not develop his external sexual organs or his prostate.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
Radio said:
JJ Gittes said:
Radio said:

Without DHT a male would not develop his external sexual organs or his prostate.

Understood and agreed. But I'm talking about later in life, after puberty.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
Radio said:
[quote="JJ Gittes":af893]
Radio said:

Understood and agreed. But I'm talking about later in life, after puberty.[/quote:af893]

Very good point, I suppose one the c***'n'ball combo is up and working the DHT issue is reduced.

But the higher incidence of side effects suggest some function of DHT is being hindered (?)

Is DHT not involved in musculature and some brain function ?

I must be honest I am way into guesslandâ„¢ here.

Britannia

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
if people dont respond to finasteride or dutasteride, why not? if dutasteride blocks 100% of dht, why woudldnt this cure male pattern baldness?

Probably due to pharmadynamics, i.e. the drug is not correctly broken down or metabloised by the body. If this the case theres little you can do about it.

jeffsss

Reaction score
trentender said:
jeffsss said:
if people dont respond to finasteride or dutasteride, why not? if dutasteride blocks 100% of dht, why woudldnt this cure male pattern baldness?

Probably due to pharmadynamics, i.e. the drug is not correctly broken down or metabloised by the body. If this the case theres little you can do about it.

then would a topical solution work for someone who doesnt respond to finasteride or dutasteride?

triton2

Established Member
Reaction score
Radio said:
Is DHT not involved in musculature and some brain function ?

DHT doesn't affect skeletal muscle, for it's deactivated by an enzyme (I think it was 3-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase). On the other hand, even if it wasn't deactivated by this enzyme, skeletal muscle barely contains 5AR enzyme, so there wouldn't be much DHT 'arriving' there anyway (although I'm not sure after learning here that a big % of scalp AR activation doesn't come from DHT created there, but from serum DHT).

So I very much doubt DHT has much, if any, influence as far as skeletal muscle goes. However, being a potent SNC stimulator, in the abscence of DHT you'd probably have trouble working out, as far as strength and agression are concerned... nonetheless, I think this can be reversed taking other non-steroideal SNC boosters; a combination of caffeine with a beta2 agonist, such as albuterol, works pretty well. My main concern would be that of albuterol promoting hairloss, but bearing in mind that you're going to use that stack just once daily before workout, probably not more than 3-4 days a week, I think the effect should be tiny in this regard.

jeffsss

Reaction score
so i guess the question still hasnt been answered....

what's the deal.. should everyone NOT hop on the dutasteride bandwagon? seems like it's twice as good as finasteride..

lil weezy

Reaction score
im a serious diffuse thinnier and am contemplating jumping on duta and totally skipping the finasteride, i need something agressive

jeffsss

Reaction score
lil weezy said:
im a serious diffuse thinnier and am contemplating jumping on duta and totally skipping the finasteride, i need something agressive

most people will tell you this inst a good idea..

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
lil weezy said:

i skipped finasteride and jumped onto dutasteride.

i been on procerin for 10 months, and my hairloss progressed so much, that i decided to jump onto dutasteride.

jeffsss

Reaction score
noorur said:
lil weezy said:

i been on ********* for 10 months, and my hairloss progressed so much, that i decided to jump onto dutasteride.

when did you get on dutasteride??

put a date in your regimine thing.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried dutasteride, but I got sexual sides as well as drier skin. I get neither on finasteride.

jeffsss

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
I tried dutasteride, but I got sexual sides as well as drier skin. I get neither on finasteride.

how long did you try it?

is dutasteride the same as finasteride in regards to evenually sides will balance themselves out?

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
noorur said:
lil weezy said:

i been on ********* for 10 months, and my hairloss progressed so much, that i decided to jump onto dutasteride.

when did you get on dutasteride??

put a date in your regimine thing.

I started on early on mid-october onwards.