Why is propecia not OTC?

abcdefg

Reaction score
If rogain has side effects why is propecia not over the counter to? I mean theres plenty of dangerous OTC drugs.

G

Good question. Especially if there was a lower dose used for OTC. What is the process for any prescription drug to go OTC such as Claritin, Prilosec, etc.?

It basically is OTC for us thanks to Inhouse and UP :)

Wonko

Reaction score
something about pregnant women & birth defects associated with finasteride???

G

bubka said:
yeah, something to do with kinds being born without a penis

If the woman can't read a warning label, then eliminating the ability of that bloodline to continue doesn't sound like such a bad thing to me!

Here's a listing of other drugs (some OTC) and herbs to avoid during pregnancy, not to mention alcohol which is also OTC. http://life.familyeducation.com/pregnan ... 36572.html

Actually aren't there a ton of FOODS that should avoided during pregnancy too like feta cheese even?

G

it's a hormonal drug. can you think of another hormonal drug that's OTC? i can't.

G

abcdefg said:
If rogaine has side effects why is propecia not over the counter to? I mean theres plenty of dangerous OTC drugs.

Here's a website that tells you how drugs become OTC. As I suspected, pretty much involves some lobbyists, politics, and of course $$$$$.

How Do Prescription Drugs Become OTC?

So IF we'd see an OTC propecia it wouldn't be until the patent is about to expire which I keep hearing mixed reports on what that is supposed to be even.

Hey, if 0.05mg is supposed to reduce a lot of DHT, then let that be OTC. We need to rely more in individual responsibility than on government.

G

FairTaxNow said:
Hey, if 0.05mg is supposed to reduce a lot of DHT, then let that be OTC. We need to rely more in individual responsibility than on government.

dude, 0.05 mg of finasteride won't do sh*t for you.

and like i said its a hormonal drug

G

JayMan said:
FairTaxNow said:

dude, 0.05 mg of finasteride won't do $#iT for you.

Well according to this thread .05mg Finasteride "0.05 mg of finasteride lowers scalp DHT levels by 61.6% compared to 64.1% for a 1 mg dose" according to the data from the study. Another in VERY Interesting Study On Propecia various doses!!!!!!!. Just search the forum for 0.05mg.

My point is just that 0.05mg is 5% of the propecia dosage. Even if we ignore the concept of individual responsibility, the fact that it's 5% of the prescription dosage should mitigate any concerns on making this OTC. Though unfortunately we don't rely on a free market nor excercise individual responsibility so it will probably not be OTC. Simply will have to take our money outside the country to InHousePharm and UnitedPharms :)

G

fairtax, evne if what you say is true, about it being almost as effective, that would mean that the side effects would be almost as bad as well in people who get them. lol. people get sidesbecause of the hormonal changes involving DHT, T, etc.

bubka

Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
bubka said:

If the woman can't read a warning label, then eliminating the ability of that bloodline to continue doesn't sound like such a bad thing to me!

Here's a listing of other drugs (some OTC) and herbs to avoid during pregnancy, not to mention alcohol which is also OTC. http://life.familyeducation.com/pregnan ... 36572.html

Actually aren't there a ton of FOODS that should avoided during pregnancy too like feta cheese even?
newsflash, sure some founds can raise the risk, but finasteride will make a male born without a penis, i don't think any other food does that, quit trying to argue nonsense here
FairTaxNow said:
abcdefg said:
If rogaine has side effects why is propecia not over the counter to? I mean theres plenty of dangerous OTC drugs.

Here's a website that tells you how drugs become OTC. As I suspected, pretty much involves some lobbyists, politics, and of course $$$$$.

How Do Prescription Drugs Become OTC?

So IF we'd see an OTC propecia it wouldn't be until the patent is about to expire which I keep hearing mixed reports on what that is supposed to be even.

that total bulls sh*t, there was a study with like .1 mg finasteride, i did nothing, quit posting random thoughts as statistics

G

Jayman,

Do we know for sure that sides are simply related to the 5ar inhibition and do NOT come from the finasteride chemical itself?

bubka,

Stop fearmongering. Those aren't random statistics, that's why I was LINKING to threads posted here where this is discussed. YOUR statistic saying 0.1mg "does nothing" is the epitome of random because the only source of that is YOU.

G

FairTaxNow said:
Jayman,

Do we know for sure that sides are simply related to the 5ar inhibition and do NOT come from the finasteride chemical itself?

The finasteride chemical affects hormone levels. That is how it does its job at protecting and regrowing hair. It doesn't lower blood pressure or raise cholesterol or anything like that to do its job. So it's only logical that the reason people get sides is because of the changes in DHT levels in their bodies.

G

JayMan said:
FairTaxNow said:
Jayman,

So it's only logical that the reason people get sides is because of the changes in DHT levels in their bodies.

Ah yes, I would agree with you that logically this would make sense. But logical reasoning does not always apply to science. Logically people seem to think that taking 0.25mg of finasteride means your results are 25% as effective as taking 1mg. Science proves this otherwise.

As you said, if 0.25mg of finasteride is up to 90% as effective as 1mg than logically you would think that the sides would be about 90% as much as they occured in 1mg too? I personally just don't want to rest my case in logical reasoning when it comes to this. Perhaps the actual chemical of finasteride itself can cause some side effects, do we know otherwise?

Even if that is the case, I guess my main point is that there's still OTC items that can cause great harm to just about ANYBODY, especially pregnant mothers, so in the end it is other factors that truly keep meds like this from going OTC.

G

FairTaxNow said:
Logically people seem to think that taking 0.25mg of finasteride means your results are 25% as effective as taking 1mg. Science proves this otherwise.

Who thought this? I never did. I know it's almost as effective.

As you said, if 0.25mg of finasteride is up to 90% as effective as 1mg than logically you would think that the sides would be about 90% as much as they occured in 1mg too? I personally just don't want to rest my case in logical reasoning when it comes to this. Perhaps the actual chemical of finasteride itself can cause some side effects, do we know otherwise?

Even if that is the case, I guess my main point is that there's still OTC items that can cause great harm to just about ANYBODY, especially pregnant mothers, so in the end it is other factors that truly keep meds like this from going OTC.[/quote]

The reason it will never go OTC is not because of pregnant mothers. The reason it will never go OTC is because it is a hormonal drug and like I said, I can't think of any hormonal drugs that are OTC. What does it really matter though anyway? As someone said, you can just get them from an online pharmacy if you don't want to see a doctor.

Cassin

Reaction score
JayMan said:
FairTaxNow said:
Logically people seem to think that taking 0.25mg of finasteride means your results are 25% as effective as taking 1mg. Science proves this otherwise.

Who thought this? I never did. I know it's almost as effective. .

Many people think this when they first come to the sites. In fact, during the trials the doctors were surprised at the leveling out of effectiveness regardless of the dose.

bubka

Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
bubka,

Stop fearmongering. Those aren't random statistics, that's why I was LINKING to threads posted here where this is discussed. YOUR statistic saying 0.1mg "does nothing" is the epitome of random because the only source of that is YOU.
take this graph and stick it up your *** and just shut the f*** up, EVERYONE knows this graph, thats why we do not suggest taking low dosages of finasteride if you actually want to try to regrow or stop loss of hair
GRAPH8.GIF

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/graph8.htm

G

Hi Bubba,

How's it goin buddy? :) I'm very familiar with this graph. Also I can a key phrase in the title of this graph which is single dose. This is the DHT levels after a single dose of finasteride. Now tell me this, is this a single dose graph on one individual, or 6 seperate individuals, or lets say averaged day from a single dosage of 500 individuals?

Just because you want to ignore the data below does not mean that it does not exist!

Well according to this thread .05mg Finasteride "0.05 mg of finasteride lowers scalp DHT levels by 61.6% compared to 64.1% for a 1 mg dose" according to the data from the study. Another in VERY Interesting Study On Propecia various doses!!!!!!!. Just search the forum for 0.05mg.

1500 posts here and you still haven't seen this document either that proves 0.01mg DOES "do $#**" as you say? http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/finmicro.pdf

G

jayman,

I didn't say you said this, I'm just saying that people would logically think this is the case, which I still read from people's posts even to this day as Cassin even verified. Hence, how do we know that the finasteride pharmaceutical itself also does not contribute to side effects and it's solely not just related to the inhibition of 5AR?

Yeah, I think it was me that mentioned it pretty much is OTC for those who do some research and come to our group, as we can just as easily get it from UP and IHP :) What is the difference if it's hormonal though for being OTC? There are OTC herbals that effect hormone levels, and alcohol effects brain chemistry. It's simply politics that keeps things like this from being OTC amongst other medications. Hence we take our money outside the country and buy Dr. Reddy's and Cipla! :wink:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:

Yeah, there's nothing worse than a "kind" without a penis! :p

Am I the only who bothers to double-check my posts?? :adminfinger:

Bryan