Why is propecia making me lose hair faster?

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Im on month 4 on .5mg and my hair looks like crap my frontal hair is so thin i cant even go out in public without a hat or dermatch..could dermatch be doing something? im not sure depriving my hair of oxygen ..cause since i been on finasteride this past december late december my hair is just getting worse but alot faster...I dont understand why..there was 2 weeks there in March where i hardly lost any hair..but only 2 weeks then it started again i been shedding alot of hair before propecia..just that before it didnt get thin as fast now..its horriable im so depressed about it..
should i quit?..or will things turn around eventually?
this sucks

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
first of all, you been here for a time long enough to know that propecia isn't the cause of male pattern baldness, it's DHT that f*cked your hair up. you also know that even though propecia works for most, it doesn't work for all. in this case your one of them. i know it must be hard to not respond to the best hairloss product, but you also know that propecia wasn't the cause. posts like this scare newbies from saving what they got. not even hyperandrogenicity from propecia causes hair loss. Just like in all meds, Maybe some can be sensitive to the medication and have Telogen Effluvium from it, but those hair will grow back and even that is very rare

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You need to give it more time, many people shed in the first few months which is usually a sign the hair will grow back thicker.

you need to wait 6-12 months and then reassess.

A

Administrator

lossing my hair said:
you also know that even though propecia works for most, it doesn't work for all. in this case your one of them.
Shedding at month four is probably the most common occurance on Propecia on this planet. Totally normal. Does not imply that he is not a responder. A full year of non responsiveness is required for that.

Admin

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Exactamoondo... it will almost ALWAYS get worse before it gets better. Get used to it and believe in the statistics. Stay consistent with your treatments and trust in them. In the short term you will have good and bad days.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
well i havent had any good days
and my hair has just consistently got worse since i started finasteride..
my front is so thin i gotta wear dermatch to even go out in public and feel normal and confidant..or a hat
my shedding hasnt really increased on finasteride its always been bad for awhile now..its just that since i been on finasteride my hair has gotten thinner faster..is that still a propecia shed?
also there were 2 weeks were i lost hardly any hair..but that didnt last long..was between my 2nd and 3rd month

member5959

Reaction score
Hey Jason, It looks like I'm in the same boat as you. I began taking propecia in early December and have since then lost about 30 to 50 percent of my hair mass with a pretty substantial thinning in the front and temples. I also have noticed lately that my crown beginning to thin. I began taking minoxidil in january so i like to think that the large shed is just the conjunction between adding both drugs (relatively) at the same time. I know what you mean though, it is really not encouraging to see your hair fall out faster or at the same rate when you think you are taking measures to stop it. But it's still pretty early for the both of us and i think you should stick it out for the full year like everyone recommends. Regardless if it works or not, i guess you can take comfort in the fact that you knowingly tried to stop your hair loss. Good luck though Jason... by the way how do you like dermatch?

Reaction score
couple things that alot of people do: experiment with the length of your hair, most of the time you can find a certain length(usually short) that doesnt give you the male pattern baldness look you might notice with longer hair. of course the other alternative is to go with the Vin Diesal/Bruce Willis look, it doesnt work for everyone but tons of people find it a relief to not look up at the hair everyday and you could let it grow back in 6 months to see if things improved.

I started Propecia in the same time frame you did (early December) and have not noticed any physcial changes, but thats good to me since my initial goal is to stay where I am at. Personally I havent hit a massive shed but I have noticed a decrease in hair in the sink and on the pillow.

I am 28, probably a Norwood 3 with some crown thinning.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Jason you should shave your head for a few months then let it grow back. That way you wont be so depressed and hopefully things will have improved by then.

I plan to shave myself. I'm 1 month into my proscar and my hair is biting the bucket like mad. I lose tons a day but most of the hair seems to be fine hairs without nearly as much color as the rest. Hopefully these hairs are the ones being eating by dht and the proscar is hitting the ejection button on them so some good hair can grow in their place.

A

Administrator

Again Jason, this is totally normal. The first 6 months or so on propecia just plain suck. Ride out the shed, its the oldest advice in the hair loss book.

Make sure you're using Nizoral to control any inflammation or irritation. That can have an adverse effect on your hair and stop Propecia from doing its thing.

Admin

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it took me eight months before my hair LOSS (as in shedding) truly came to a hault. now i lose none.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
yeh but my shedding hasnt really increased anymore than it did before i got on propecia..
but my hair is alot thinner..is this still shedding?

Cassin

Reaction score
jason566 said:
yeh but my shedding hasnt really increased anymore than it did before i got on propecia..

No your still losing hair. Finasteride hasn't kicked in yet, probably because your NOT using the proper dose. Granted there is a small difference between .25 mg and 1 mg, but nonetheless there IS a difference. Your risk this by not following the proper guidelines.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
jason566 said:

No your still losing hair. Finasteride hasn't kicked in yet, probably because your NOT using the proper dose. Granted there is a small difference between .25 mg and 1 mg, but nonetheless there IS a difference. Your risk this by not following the proper guidelines.

Cassin, how have you responded to your regime?? I've just started Proscar, nizoral, and multivitamin, and have been adhering to a healthy diet and workout 6 days a week. I'm beginning to think staying physically and mentally healthy through diet and exercise is a big step in cancelling hairloss

Cassin

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
Cassin, how have you responded to your regime??

Yes I have done as well as can be expected with my regimen.

I have stopped hairloss, thickened things up a bit and regrown some hair. Not a huge amount of regrowth but some decent coverage.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jason566, please forgive me for being too simplistic here but please click on this word... shedding...that will answer most or all of your questions.

Cougar_20

Reaction score
I've been on propecia for 8 months.

Month 1: Didn't notice a whole lot of shedding, but hair got a lot worse, especially around the hairline.

Months 2-4: Hair remained in pretty poor shape, but wasn't shedding much and hair seemed to gradually get better.

Months 5-7: Hair looked amazing. Everyone asked what I was doing because my hairline started to grow back into place and the dead discolored hair in front because thick and normal looking again. Would lose hardly hair at all even is shower. Maybe 1 or two per wash.

Month 8-present: Just went through a pretty bad shed but seem to be coming out of it. Hopefully I bounce back better than the time before.

Ride it out, never know what might happen.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
Cougar_20

hey Cougar_20, thats encouraging.. I started propecia 7 weeks ago (when i had decent hair)... but those 7 weeks have been the worst of my life.. temples thinned... i lost about 60% of my hair from the hairline... i hope it gets better from here.. im 26, and have been losing hair (noticably for 1.5 years too)