Why Is Ferritin Only Discussed In The Context Of Women's Hair Loss?

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So the great news is that doctors and derms have found low ferritin levels to be a massive contributor in female hair loss, and it's something that often gets overlooked because lab results determine them to be in the "normal", IE non-anemic, range. However, serum ferritin levels below 70 will not be conducive to hair growth. Now that this has been identified, many women can rest assured that they're taking the right measures for their hair.

HOWEVER: is this not the same for men? I've scoured the web for articles about the connection between ferritin and hair loss, and virtually all of them are about females! In this case, the male body does the exact same thing when ferritin levels drop: it takes resources away from the non-essentials such as hair, in preparation for survival mode. So if a guy has ferritin levels in his 20s, he can pop all the dutasteride he wants and smear tons of 15% minoxidil onto his hair, but his follicles are not in a position to respond. But it seems like as a male, if you suggest anything other than the almighty big 3 that might help, you get stones thrown at you and are called delusional.

I'm not discrediting the big 3. While DHT is one cause, there can be so many more! We need to take a more holistic approach to this.