Why has no one commented on my hairloss?

cruz

Reaction score
The reason i ask this is because i've been balding for around 5 years (i'm 22 now) and none of my friends/family have made a comment about it yet. I'd say that i'm about a N2.

For me it would feel like a huge weight of my shoulders if it was "out in the open". I've tried propecia and it did nothing for me, and thats it for me as far as treatment goes. I've not really helped matters i suppose by styling my hair to conceal the loss but i've stopped doing that recently but still no one has mentioned it. I've accepted my hair loss, so for me it would be a huge relief in a weird way.

I get the feeling that some of my friends have noticed it but are too embarrassed to say something or maybe its not as bad as i think (though i doubt that). Lately, while out with my mates i've been thinking of dropping a couple of casual comments about my baldness whenever we stray onto a convo about hair but i can never manage it.

I suppose i'm wondering if any of you guys decided to mention it first before anyone else made any comments? What did you say? For me i would want to make it seem as less of a big deal as possible.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm yea ive talked to some close friends about it... and i think the reason that no 1 have mentioned it is because they know it is a sensitive matter.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you won't get comments unless your hair loss snuck up on someone. as you gradually lose your hair people just accept the way you look and that's that. but if they havn't seen you for a while and now you're half bald they will probably comment.

i know one guy who is an NW4 diffused thinner, the top of his head has almost no hair to cover the scalp, it's really obvious. i asked him if he'd ever tried treating it and his comment was "my hair has always been thin it's not falling out". that's why i don't talk to people about it. not everyone is as accepting or open about it. either he told me a straight lie to cover up his male pattern baldness or he hasn't accepted the problem yet.

s.a.f

Reaction score
cruz said:
The reason i ask this is because i've been balding for around 5 years (i'm 22 now) and none of my friends/family have made a comment about it yet. I'd say that i'm about a N2.

For some nw2 is just a mature hairline. Many people receed to it at your age and dont progress any further. Family dont usually comment for fear of making you paranoid, it does'nt matter to them if you're balding or not.

Balding_1

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally, I laugh and joke about my receding hairline all the time. I've been teased about how I was going to be bald since I was 16 years old.
My dad is bald as a billiard ball so I have always been very concious of balding. At 20 I starting taking Propecia and my hair has stayed at NW2 ever since. I feel I look good and I have no problems with the ladies.

Dont be so damn awkward about your hairloss. Its really not a big deal especially in the early stages where you have a chance to do something about it. Get back on Propecia while laughing about your "comb over" and watch, to your friends suprise, that in 10 years you will have the same amount of hair as you do now. I bet in 10 years most wont have as much hair as you do.

Your family probably hasn't commented on your hair because of two reasons: 1) its not noticeable and 2) its really not a big deal. Try not to worry about it so much.

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
cruz, thanks for the post. I actually think you are in a very good situation, the fact that you have accepted your hairloss, have stopped trying to hide it, and you want it out in the open, i think this is great. I didn't do this when I was your age and as a consequence have been stressing about it for going on 8 years now. And still am.

You sound like you are in a good place mentally, so if I were you, I would try to get it into the open by, as you say, dropping into a conversation at the right moment in a light-hearted kind of way. You show that you are cool with it and you can really get on with being yourself. I think this is very good idea to do this.

Also, even if you are not bothered about it, you may consider getting back on finasteride. If you can afford it (you can get generic proscar which will give you full finasteride treatment for next to nothing), and it doesn't give you sides (which it most likely won't) then you can't really go wrong with it. It will likely help you to keep the hair you have longer. It may seem like its not helping, but it most likely is slowly your hairloss. AS the years pass, your mates hairloss will catch up to yours (since you have slowed yours down) but because you have accepted things and are not bothered by it, you will be a very good place, compared to them (like me).

I wish I had been open about my hairloss when I was your age.

EDIT: I just read the previous post by balding_1 and he kind of summed up what i just said. woops. I agree completely with balding_1

G

Dude, I agree with JC, you are really lucky that you have accepted your hairloss. I wish I could be as relaxed and open about the situation as you. Having my first comment about hairloss would be a disaster for me upon which I would hide in my room for many weeks.

G

Taugenichts said:
Having my first comment about hairloss would be a disaster for me upon which I would hide in my room for many weeks.

This is truly pathetic, and I'm not just saying that because we argued in another thread. I really am concerned about you and think that this is really pathetic and that you are ruining your life by letting it affect you this much. We have about the same degree of hair loss, mine has stabilized thanks to meds, and yours probably will as well if it hasn't already, and I am not letting it affect my life you are letting it affect yours. No more excuses. Go find a woman. Get outside of your house. You're not going to make anything better by pussying out and sitting in your house and never meeting any girls.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
No more excuses. Go find a woman. Get outside of your house. You're not going to make anything better by pussying out and sitting in your house and never meeting any girls.

Amen to that,

Even though I do sympathize a lot with people who also suffer from hairloss, I think that some of the regulars in this forum might have much bigger problems than just occasional depression about hairloss.

Taug, if you haven`t already, you should propably go get some professional help. And I dont mean a dermatologist...

cruz

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I think what most of you guys have said makes perfect sense. Maybe a few people have noticed but don't want to say anything for fear of making me paranoid about it and i guess it doesn't really bother them.

Regarding going back onto propecia (i was actually using finpecia), its not really an option for me. I was on it for around 16 months and at best it maybe slowed it down slightly. Every time i had a haircut i noticed the receding was slightly worse and in the end i just thought fcuk it.

I dont think i could ever go on avodart, it scares the sh*t out of me. And while i may have accepted that i can do nothing about it, i still think about it all the time.

i'd love to get to a stage where i can talk about it casually to anyone without it affecting me.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
You probably have a really good bunch of friends and family who don't feel that they have to pay out on your hairloss to mask their own insecurities.

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Taugenichts said:
Having my first comment about hairloss would be a disaster for me upon which I would hide in my room for many weeks.

This is truly pathetic, and I'm not just saying that because we argued in another thread. I really am concerned about you and think that this is really pathetic and that you are ruining your life by letting it affect you this much. We have about the same degree of hair loss, mine has stabilized thanks to meds, and yours probably will as well if it hasn't already, and I am not letting it affect my life you are letting it affect yours. No more excuses. Go find a woman. Get outside of your house. You're not going to make anything better by pussying out and sitting in your house and never meeting any girls.

Hey everybody is different and I dont think that Taug is the type of guy to respond well to this type of advice, (even if it is the truth).
If I woke up tommorrow with Taugs hair I would be over the moon but for some reason his tiny (almost unnoticible) loss is devastating to him. I hope that his therapist can solve why this is the case and hopefully make him see sense. With alittle bit of self confidence he could go far.

G

Saf,

you don't need to be a shrink to realize that if Taug is being serious, he obviously suffers from low self esteem, depression, and some other things.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I realise that! :roll:
But having a go at someone who thinks little of themselves will not improve their confidence, he needs a bit of encouragment because he's not just going to snap out of it.

G

s.a.f said:
I realise that! :roll:
But having a go at someone who thinks little of themselves will not improve their confidence, he needs a bit of encouragment because he's not just going to snap out of it.

i wasn't having a go at him. if i really wanted to hurt him i'd just say nothing and let some people on here keep blowing sunshine up his *** about how good things are for him. he has it good now but will he still have it good when he's 35 and fat and is still a virgin?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Things are good for him he needs to realise this but he's a timid guy he wont respond well to being called pathetic.

G

s.a.f said:
Things are good for him he needs to realise this but he's a timid guy he wont respond well to being called pathetic.

whatever, i wasted too much of my life thinking like him. i wish somebody had come along earlier and called me pathetic and snapped me into shape sooner. now i'm on the other side and i'd like him to join me.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Were you really as bad as Taug is?

G

s.a.f said:
Were you really as bad as Taug is?

well yes, but not about hair loss. i had bad acne my first couple years of high school and so i wouldn't go outside my house or even to school sometimes it it flared up. then i finished puberty at 17 and it cleared up.