"Why don't you just shave it bro?"

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
This comment is the single most aggravating thing I think I hear from people, people that are insensitive and don't care how this might affect you. I wanted to make a post about it because I think this happens here a lot on this board. In fact, I think bald/balding guys are more likely to say a comment like this to someone with thinning hair then would non-bald guys. Many users here say this phrase to people when they post pics of their thinning hair and ask how bad it is. I fully get shaving your head and why some guys do it. There is liberation from balding; it's almost like you take your insecurity and fully expose it confiently as if it were not an issue at all. Some guys can pull this off while some of us can't.

But the reason I hate this comment so much, especially when it is said to me, is because I feel like the person saying it is implying that you are totally screwed with your hairloss and you should just give up on your hair and whatever you may want to look like. This pisses me off. My hair is thin on my crown and scalp and is a bit receeding on my temples. It is not to the point of NW7 and if I don't feel like shaving my head then people shouldn't judge me for it. IMO most balding men don't have to do this, even some that do. Most of the time I think a short hair cut fits us DHT victims best. I think I look best about 2 weeks after a short hair cut. The dredded combover, or some version of it, might fit also depending on how bad your hair is.

And honestly, I think some of the most progressive MBP look better sporting the NW7. Can you imagine how ridiculous Jason Alexander or Larry David would look walking around with a shaved head? Or better yet, the best example, look at James Carville.

In 1992:

bio_carville.jpg

Now:

225px-James_Carville_1.jpg

Sure Carville has aged but I think everyone agrees that he might look better with some hair on, or around his head.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I've never buzzed my head - I hate having short hair because I don't look good like that - hence why I was mortified when I noticed male pattern baldness.

but yeah, I think people should stop saying that :thumbdown2:

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hhj1247 said:
This comment is the single most aggravating thing I think I hear from people, people that are insensitive and don't care how this might affect you. I wanted to make a post about it because I think this happens here a lot on this board. In fact, I think bald/balding guys are more likely to say a comment like this to someone with thinning hair then would non-bald guys. Many users here say this phrase to people when they post pics of their thinning hair and ask how bad it is. I fully get shaving your head and why some guys do it. There is liberation from balding; it's almost like you take your insecurity and fully expose it confiently as if it were not an issue at all. Some guys can pull this off while some of us can't.

But the reason I hate this comment so much, especially when it is said to me, is because I feel like the person saying it is implying that you are totally screwed with your hairloss and you should just give up on your hair and whatever you may want to look like. This pisses me off. My hair is thin on my crown and scalp and is a bit receeding on my temples. It is not to the point of NW7 and if I don't feel like shaving my head then people shouldn't judge me for it. IMO most balding men don't have to do this, even some that do. Most of the time I think a short hair cut fits us DHT victims best. I think I look best about 2 weeks after a short hair cut. The dredded combover, or some version of it, might fit also depending on how bad your hair is.

And honestly, I think some of the most progressive MBP look better sporting the NW7. Can you imagine how ridiculous Jason Alexander or Larry David would look walking around with a shaved head? Or better yet, the best example, look at James Carville.

In 1992:

bio_carville.jpg

Now:

225px-James_Carville_1.jpg

Sure Carville has aged but I think everyone agrees that he might look better with some hair on, or around his head.

out of all the examples you could have given us you give us the worst aged one lol

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's up to you if you shave it or not, obviously.

Old people, like that pic I don't think should shave it, as old people, even at NW7 look 'normal' with hair on the sides. They're more likely to be described as 'old' than 'bald'.

Young people, personally I'd much rather buzz it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Totally agree, especially when I see some guys on here with like a NW2 and they shave it all off and look bald.
Most people who say this will have no hairloss whatsoever.
Its like its against the law to have less than a perfect head of hair.
Why dont they just say "why dont you wear a hat"? :shock:

If I lost a couple of teeth I would'nt decide to say f*** it and pull the rest out. So why should people with some hairloss be expected to just sacrife what they have left to the razor?

And yeah a young bald guy with a shaved head who could be doing it just for the style looks totally different to an older bald guy with a shaved head.

ali777

Reaction score
I've heard it a few times as well... To be honest, I'm going to sooner or later just shave it off.... My hair is not as bad as UM or HP, but some days it really bothers me. I don't like looking at the mirror and I might enjoy the freedom of not having anything to look at....

The problem with "just shaving it off" is two fold for me.
1) Professional presentation. There are some jobs that don't like people "just shaving it off", and I think my job is going to be one of them.
2) Short hair doesn't suit me. I've been trying to bulk up, but it's bloody slow. Most days I just can't be bothered to eat more than normal. I have to be realistic, but if I had time to exercise and bulk up, I'd do it... If I can put on about 5kg of muscle weight, I'd like to try the bad a** look.

I am coming to terms with my thinning hair, and one of these days I'm gonna go with the shaved or buzz look and I'm gonna scream "I'm balding, and I don't give a rat's a**"...........

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
I've actually heard the most comments from my boss at the pizza place. His hair is thinning too, so once a month he will shae it down almost near his skin and thinks this solves Telogen Effluvium problem. He alway tells me t just shave it, so I started wearing a hat to work because I couldn't take it anymore.

I actually think some bald guys (especially older ones) will be some of the first to make comments to us. Anyway, I'm just saying a skin head is not for everyone with male pattern baldness, and sometimes you might even look better the way you are. But if you decide that'swhat you want to do and that it is for you, god bless you.

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Shaving/buzzing my head was the best thing I ever did. It's a case of different folks, different strokes. Personally I can't think of any case were someone would look better with a combover or trying to keep a tuft of hair would look better then a shaven look?

Even your example of Carville, I can't see how he'd look any better with a small amount of grey hair round the back and sides.

Fair enough, a nw2 or a mature hairline, like Jude law or something that can look fine.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really bald young guys should go slick. And bulk up/have stylish facial hair/dress immaculately.

If you are young and very thin (i.e. absolutely cannot pull off even short hair but not completely bald), then close to buzzed is best (but not slick IMO). I think only a small amount of guys can pull off the slick bald look.

Older men never look good slick unless they are big burly types. A grown out horseshoe doesn't look out of place on the 40+ crowd. It's laughable on a younger guy though - hence why you never see it, only closely cropped and buzzed down.

Personally, I think older bald dudes should just rock a piece. If there's no cure for baldness by the time I'm 40+ (and god help us if true....that's 20 years from now) I'll probably just get a good one like Jeremy Piven. I don't think wearing a piece is a big deal if you are older, and it does wonders for your appearance. If there wasn't a social faux pas of wearing one at a young age I'd feel a lot better about balding.

Vigaku

Established Member
Reaction score
I also hate that response, partly because it's mostly ignorant.

Also it comes down to your overall attractiveness.

We've all seen men, completely bald on top and/or shaved their entire head as a result of being bald on top, and look great, because the proportion of their head to their face seem normal and they lack any "bad" features (pointy ears, awkward nose, receding forehead etc.) so it looks good on them. Add mixed and black genes in and you get an almost completely normal looking dude. It kind of pisses me off that I pretty much have no good feature to show besides the hair I'm killing myself to keep. You can bet that I'm considering hair replacement if finasteride and min fail me.