Why does hair loss pattern differ between men and women?

archer10

Reaction score
Does anyone know? I've been trying to understand why hair loss pattern (especially the hereditary kind) is so different between the two genders. Can't find anything on this at all on the internet!

If someone knows/has a link to the info, please let me know!

komal123

Reaction score
This all things are natural and depends on genes in our body. Both genders have different genes and chromosomes and because of that we find it different.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Mines is diffused, With receding hair line, disappearing temples, and extra thinning crown, sides and nape. Yeah it's a lot.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
because of blood. if you read the characteristics of blood you will get your answer.

What do you mean by that. You meant less blood supply or ...

I think it's because of receptor distribution in scalp. And FPHL is caused by progesterone and lack of estrogen, high levels of T and other androgens can also speed up whole process.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
The hairline itself is different between men and women like many other differences in our bodies. In other words the distribution of follicles is different. Extend this to gene receptors and the distribution of follicles with varying gene receptors is different. At puberty, the hormonal changes are quite different with different male and female sex hormones.

All in all the differences are like any other differences between the two sexes and its all in the genes for the most part. However there is generally better understanding of reasons behind male pattern baldness than FPB which is quite unfair to be honest. Women also cannot use the higher concentration of Min above 2% and generally cannot take finasteride. On top of this women cannot buzz their hair like men (in terms of social acceptance). And hair loss in men is more or less socially acceptable unlike for women.

Sorry for the depressing post but I know a few women (friends, partner, relatives) who are quite worried about their hair loss and I really feel that they deserve more, and not less, proven treatments and clear plan of things like Big3 exists for men. I don't understand why women hairloss industry is more focussed on concealment than treatments for some reason.